Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Z
So I love the dragonborn but I really want one with a tail, so I wanted to post this as aa sort of petition to larian for dragonborn with tails, I mean in Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus there was a dragonborn with a tail I forget his name but he wasnt from Toril and it makes me assume that dragonborn not from toril may or may not have tails, anyways I'm getting carried away but I'd really like to see a dragonborn subrace with tails like the lizard race in divinity 2, technically its from critical role I think but its based in 5th edition I believe so why not add DraconBlood subrace!

edit his name was Arkhan the Cruel

Last edited by ZathrusPrime; 28/03/22 12:55 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Yeah Dragonborn with tails are from Exandria (Critical Role). Never say never though, I also prefer my Dragonborn with tails.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
Yeah Dragonborn with tails are from Exandria (Critical Role). Never say never though, I also prefer my Dragonborn with tails.

With a feat option for wings... Lol. I want my dragonborn to fly.

But at least a tail.

veteran
veteran
I thought tail is one of main differences between Dragonborn and Lizardfolk ... seems i was wrong then. O_o

Originally Posted by GM4Him
With a feat option for wings... Lol. I want my dragonborn to fly.
I wonder if they can fly in Armor ...
More specificaly ... Heavy Armor.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
No-one is ever going to fly in this game at all, full stop.

They'll jump-good, end their turn hovering lightly over solid ground, and then get swarmed by ground-based melee characters shoving them into spike traps *anyway*.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Niara
No-one is ever going to fly in this game at all, full stop.

They'll jump-good, end their turn hovering lightly over solid ground, and then get swarmed by ground-based melee characters shoving them into spike traps *anyway*.
Niara, is that really you? Has your account been hacked or stolen recently, by any chance?

veteran
veteran
No, I've just been having a rough day, and seeing other newer folks vehemently defending the game with an unyielding certainty that all the problems will be fixed by launch, and that - and that they have such seemingly absolute faith that we don't need to worry or gripe or post criticisms because they know that this will all be fixed by the time EA ends... has really just made me more keenly aware of how virtually non-existent my own faith in that actually is; I currently find myself in a place where, despite the communications I've had with various officials, and despite the exchanges I go through with my feedback reporting and other in-depth projects... I actually, if I reflect inwardly, find I have no faith at all that the game will release with any substantial differences from what we have now. I've gone over everything that is missing from the PHB and I can see, more or less, how their current design philosophy will implement it in the current system with minimal mechanical extensions to the system as is, at the cost of the classes and features.

They will implement flying in this game in exactly the same way that they did in D:OS2 - the system is already in the code, and they will simply use it, rather than doing anything better. that means that when you cast Fly, and gain a flying speed - you'll get a new 'fly' button on your hot bar, that will be a movement-based teleport that will see you animate flight from your current location to another grounded location within 60 feet, probably consuming that amount of your movement as it does. This means that when it's not your turn, every grounded, melee character will still be able to run up to you and wail on your or shove you around - you will not be able to actually have or maintain an actual altitude, and it will be ridiculous.

Sorry if I'm being cynical; honestly, it's great that there are a lot of people out there who have such confidence in this company. I just can't share it, at the moment.

veteran
veteran
(edited out)

We were talking about flying in some other topic, not so long ago ...
(//Edit: Okey it has ben a while ... here)

And it seemed to me that main problem with flying is movement ... how would you like to explain your character the point where you want to go in 3D space by clicking your mouse?
Sure with free movement (arrows or WASD) it would be easy ... but as we know, that isnt even in this game. :-/

I believe this topic contains few quite good ideas, that could give us "something as close to proper flying as we can get" ...
Thoughts?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/03/22 09:39 AM.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
(edited out)

We were talking about flying in some other topic, not so long ago ...
(//Edit: Okey it has ben a while ... here)

And it seemed to me that main problem with flying is movement ... how would you like to explain your character the point where you want to go in 3D space by clicking your mouse?
Sure with free movement (arrows or WASD) it would be easy ... but as we know, that isnt even in this game. :-/

I believe this topic contains few quite good ideas, that could give us "something as close to proper flying as we can get" ...
Thoughts?

It can be as simple as two clicks. The first sets your x and y position, as it does now. Then the cursor is locked to a vertical column and you move your mouse up to the elevation you want and click again.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Thoughts?
No need. Solasta does it; the controls are just a little bit awkward, but once you got used to them, there is no problem.

Originally Posted by LucasPrism
The first sets your x and y position, as it does now.
I'd rather prefer the other way around; first you select the altitude (Alt+Mouse Wheel, or PgUp / PgDn, whatever) and then you just move the mouse. Actually, it could be done in any order; cursor locking is unnecessary.

veteran
veteran
The first sets your x and y position, as it does now. Then the cursor is locked to a vertical column and you move your mouse up to the elevation you want and click again.
Thats great idea actualy!

Shame we didnt have you back then. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/03/22 10:19 AM.

L
addict
addict
L
Rag asked how to do it by just clicking your mouse. Adding extra modifier keys makes it more complex. Of course there should be options.

enthusiast
enthusiast
With just a mouse? That would be too awkward and slow; multiplayer fanboys will be fuming.

L
addict
addict
L
Every interaction in the game needs to be achievable with just a mouse as a baseline. For accessibility if no other reason. You can of course have more complex interactions as well.

You could do x,y then z with a click, hold and release as a slightly faster option.

enthusiast
enthusiast
They will implement flying in this game in exactly the same way that they did in D:OS2 - the system is already in the code, and they will simply use it, rather than doing anything better. that means that when you cast Fly, and gain a flying speed - you'll get a new 'fly' button on your hot bar, that will be a movement-based teleport that will see you animate flight from your current location to another grounded location within 60 feet, probably consuming that amount of your movement as it does. This means that when it's not your turn, every grounded, melee character will still be able to run up to you and wail on your or shove you around - you will not be able to actually have or maintain an actual altitude, and it will be ridiculous.
That's basically how Warlock's Imp moves now. Not sure if it's shovable, never seen enemies trying to do it. But yeah, melee range all the way.

Sorry if I'm being cynical; honestly, it's great that there are a lot of people out there who have such confidence in this company. I just can't share it, at the moment.
Definitely can relate to that. I didn't post here as much as others, because my 5e knowledge is mostly Solasta-based, but I read a lot. It's just my disillusionment came a bit earlier. You know, hope for the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

L
addict
addict
L
Flying is one thing - swimming, climbing and spider-climbing (walking on walls and ceilings etc). There’s a lot we won’t be getting in this game. But maybe in a sequel.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Every interaction in the game needs to be achievable with just a mouse as a baseline. For accessibility if no other reason. You can of course have more complex interactions as well.
Ohhh, that's what you mean. Well, I can definitely suggest a couple of extremely clunky and convoluted ways to do it, potentially using just a single mouse button, and hopefully larian will pick one of them up. If people manage to write programs in brainfuck, this should be child's play.

Jokes aside, I'm not sure where did you pick up such a requirement. How about games that only work with controllers? I mean, it can't be an industry standard.
Do they have a mouse on Stadia?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
No need. Solasta does it; the controls are just a little bit awkward, but once you got used to them, there is no problem.
XCOM does it as well. Back in 99 Howeworld has whole real time RTS in 3D space.

The issue isn’t that flying would be ground shaking tech - maybe they didn’t think of it, or didn’t think it was a good idea, or it would diverge too much from their D:OS2 formula, afterall flying in the air would cancel a big chunk of Larian’s home brew - pushes gone, guaranteed to hit surfaces gone.

veteran
veteran
Flying is one thing - swimming, climbing and spider-climbing
Well ... we probably dont get Swimming, since so far the only water we have found worked as natural borderline ...

But if (and yes im aware that would be big if) vertical scale (aka axis Z) would be implemented ...
Wich WOULD be needed for flying ...

I see no reason why shouldnt we get climbing. O_o

Now feel free to corect me if im misstaken ...
(In idea ... this was purely constructed by Google Translator, bcs im not good enough in English to start theoretizing about pracitcal uses of Pythagorean theorem laugh
So if any sentence dont make any sence, or use inapropriate words ... Blame google!
)

But the only difference between a character who can fly and what he can climb ...
The thing is, if we imagine the starting destiny of both as point A ... the destination as point B (assuming we climb up) ... and then we draw a perpendicular to the ground passing through point B ... thus creating a right triangle ABC.

So the difference is that while the flying character crosses the distance after the veil ... the crawling character must follow him through the squares.
So the flying character travels: A> B
A crawling charcter travels A> C> B

And if he has a crawling character spider-climbing, he can stop during the climb ... and if he doesn't, then he can't.

So in both cases we need the engine to understand the movement in the 3D environment to calculate the movement distance.
Well, since he would still need the two remaining dimensions to calculate the distance of the perpendicular ... wouldn't it be a shame not to use them?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/03/22 02:04 PM.

Wormerine #812481 28/03/22 03:15 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine
The issue isn’t that flying would be ground shaking tech - maybe they didn’t think of it, or didn’t think it was a good idea, or it would diverge too much from their D:OS2 formula, after all flying in the air would cancel a big chunk of Larian’s home brew - pushes gone, guaranteed to hit surfaces gone.

The thing is, I feel that a bunch of mechanisms and abilities like Short vs Long Rest, Reaction or Advantage, as well as flying, prepared spells, upcasting spells, stealth/sneaking, classes differentiation and balanced-party-building, ... are all staple features of 5th Edition in particular, or DnD more generally. So, if it is indeed the case that they started working on the engine and then the core code of game only to discover down the line that they have difficulties implementing one of those staple features in their system, then it means they didn't bother reading the manuals even superficially and designing/conceptualising what they would need to be able to do before moving to the developing/implementation phase. (Hopefully, this is not the explanation. But, sadly, my faith in Larian's skill in project management is sufficiently low that, if Swen gave a talk and told us that they starting thinking about how do deal with flying (/Reactions/else) mid-way through the EA, I would not be too surprised.)

Also, Larian made a big deal of verticality in their communication and marketing of the game. I have difficulty reconciling how they could choose to bring so much attention to this aspect and are delivering so poorly on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard