Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hey guys. I know this sounds looney. But I'm hoping someone or a dev can ease my mind on this. When watching the opening cinematic, toward the end when the Nautiloid enters the lower planes, there are three floating towers that arrange themselves into what looks like the logo you would see on a can of Monster energy drinks.

In case you haven't heard, there is a lot of talk that the Monster logo is three Hebrew letters that stand for the number 6. The Hebrew letter is called "vav" and represents 6. It looks very close to the Monster energy drink claw marks which would be arranged in a 666, if this is accurate. When you look at all the facts it's rather compelling.

Anyway, it seems this identical symbol is found in the trailer near the end. I'm cool with playing a game in a fictional hell with fictional devils. Not so cool with open satanic reference to the antiChrist. Does anyone have insight into this? Does this represent something other than what it looks like? I hate to trash this game over this.

Go easy on me. I'm a man of faith.

Last edited by Mjsegaline; 09/04/22 08:36 PM.
addict
addict
Ooh, the Google Chrome logo has the same kind of problem. Just how did they become the ubiquitous search engine? I used Alta-Vista and was happy with it for years, and suddenly ... gone.

I can perhaps ease your mind with a quote from an old SNL spoof of "The Omen", where John Belushi inspected the boy and said with great relief, " Heyyy! It’s alright! It’s just three nines! "

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Ugh, you are right about the Google Chrome logo. I had forgotten about that. This world is so wicked man. It's everywhere. I just want to play a video game without some reference to satan, is that cool? Lord have mercy.

Last edited by Mjsegaline; 09/04/22 09:26 PM.
M
M
Is this a joke? All hail Satan.

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
No, it's not a joke. I anticipated this kind of response. But I am serious. I would like to know the reference of those towers in the cinematic.

M
M
Originally Posted by Mjsegaline
No, it's not a joke. I anticipated this kind of response. But I am serious. I would like to know the reference of those towers in the cinematic.

Well I can't speak for the devs since I am not one, but D&D does contain references to western christian mythology, such as angels and the devil, so I don't think it is out of place.

veteran
veteran
The symbol is a roman numeral "3", representing baldur's gate "3". Nothing more. You'll find similar iconography in positively dozens of video games' third installments, unsurprisingly.

There is nothing deeper to this; your religion has nothing to do with this game, and reading of religious relevance into it is entirely on you - the same could be done to just about anything if you try.

P
addict
addict
P
The three floating towers in the hells are supposed to be Zariel's Flying Fortress, which are fairly common in the Hells, but it's also a direct reference to the game I thought? the three fortresses are the "III" logo for BG3.

Edit: Here is a picture of zariels actual fortress, from Descent into Avernus. Perkins used for scale.

Last edited by Piff; 09/04/22 10:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
I assumed it was 3, for Baldur's Gate 3. You know: BGIII.

I'm also a Christian. Honestly, I wouldn't read too much into it. Symbols have no power. They are just symbols. Think of it as eating meat sacrificed to idols. Paul, the Apostle had no problems eating such meat even though it was taboo. This is no different. It's a story, and you are traveling through a fantasy Hell. It is nothing like what real Hell is.

That said. There are other elements to avoid if you are a man of faith. Specifically, avoid romance options other than maybe Shadowheart.

Also, duergar are VERY vulgar. Heads up. You might want to mute voices at Grymforge.

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/04/22 12:23 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Wait, why is relationship with Shadowsheart option for a man of faith? Only because she is a cleric or is there something else I'm missing?

old hand
old hand
This is why I prefer fictional religions: they actually make sense.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by Manw/noface
Wait, why is relationship with Shadowsheart option for a man of faith? Only because she is a cleric or is there something else I'm missing?

I believe he is referring to the potential for same sex romancing options.

old hand
old hand
Christian Bale is not homophobic, surely?
Neither is Christian Slater?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by OcO
Originally Posted by Manw/noface

I believe he is referring to the potential for same sex romancing options.

I believe he is refering to concidering all other to be too vulgar with: "Hey PC ... we know each other for three whole days, lets bang like a rabbits!" kind of attitude. wink
Compared to her gentle sharing bottle of wine, followed by single shy kiss under the stars.

Or maybe bit of both ...

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/04/22 10:12 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
Isn't Shadowheart evil? I'm pretty sure an evil nature matters more than casual sex and/or homosexuality...

veteran
veteran
Well, now you've done it. I need to clarify.

When playing video games, watching TV, movies, etc., a man of faith should be concerned about the things they are experiencing. Jesus said, "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." He also said, "Whatever you allow in through your eye and ear gate, that is what gets deposited to your soul." [This is paraphrasing various scriptures.] In other words, if you constantly allow naughty, bad, vulgar, wicked, evil things into your mind, you will begin to produce naughty, bad, vulgar, wicked and evil things.

So, I was trying to tell the OP that symbols such as 666 and the pentagram and upside down cross have no real power over people. They are just symbols. Christians should not really walk around with them all over their bodies, jewelry, houses, etc., as they glorify Satan and his demons. If we walk around wearing such symbols, it is no different than a Jew walking around with a Nazi symbol on them during World War II. It is wearing the Enemy's symbols and displaying them as if you're proud of them.

However, symbols in a video game and such, when they are portraying evil, are not hurting anyone, nor are they glorifying evil. They are symbols of evil, and if you portray them in a movie, on TV or in a game like this, symbolizing devils and demons, that is appropriate and it isn't like it's really glorifying or making them seem good and wonderful. Devils and demons in D&D are bad, evil and wicked. It's in their alignment. They are portrayed as monsters, and they are usually sick and twisted.

That said, I wanted to warn a man of faith that there is content that he SHOULD be more concerned about. I would not be a good fellow Brother in Christ if I did not warn him about the aspects of the game that are naughty and unwholesome. If he is a man of faith, and by playing certain parts of this game it causes him to feel guilty and to do something that makes him feel bad, then I am not watching out for my Brother in Christ.

So, I wanted to warn him about the vulgarity of the duergar, which is pretty bad, and I do not like it at all. I get it. It's appropriate. They're vulgar, nasty types. I can use my imagination and determine that they are foul. I don't need to hear it in the game, and neither does any other man of faith. The more you hear such things, the more it slips into your speech. We Christians need to be careful about such things.

But more importantly, I wanted to warn him about the smuttiness of the romances in the game. This, above all other things, would make a man of faith feel guilty. Especially if he has an accountability party that he confesses things to, it could cause him to feel really bad about even playing the game at all. Nudity, sexual acts, they are all things that Christians try to encourage one another to avoid. So, I wanted him to know that, as Ragnarok said, Shadowheart's romance is not sexual - at least the last time I played it. Hers was the only one that wasn't "Let's romp in the sack tonight, Babe." So, if you are a man of faith, these are the things to avoid in BG3.

Oh... and the harpies are practically naked, which is part of their description as mythical creatures. You still don't see total nudity, but they are barely covered. The close-up scene with the harpies is pretty quick, though, so as soon as you see them, you can pretty easily avert your eyes or cover the screen.

Again, though, most things we would determine are bad are not prevalent in this game. Grymforge is the worst location in terms of vulgar comments about raunchy sexual acts. But again, if you turn the voice volume down, you barely notice it because most are conversations in the background (though some are main dialogue moments you'll have to just skim past). And, again, when the game says, "You don't have to spend the night alone. You can ask someone to join you." Just say no - except maybe Shadowheart.

old hand
old hand
Who asked Christ to be put up on a cross?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Who asked Christ to be put up on a cross?

That's not really on topic, but if you'd like, we can discuss it in PM. Just PM me if you actually want to discuss it.

All I wanted to do was encourage a fellow man of faith about the game and warn him of things that he might not like in the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
666 and the pentagram and upside down cross
they glorify Satan and his demons.
This is interesting, even tho certainly not uncommon point of view ...

Do you know that there are historical documents prooving that certain groups of people were using pentagrams to actualy protect themself from demons? Rather than praise them?
And as the matter of fact, as far as i know, some still do. O_o

You are right that symbols are only symbols ... and have no power themselves ...
But it still makes me sad when i see people who seem to only remember perverted version of them ... :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
What is a man of faith doing here? Aren't you guys busy
[Linked Image from kpfa.org]

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard