Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
No, it's much worse than this. The actual Minsc from the original games is dead. In Baldur's Gate, a statue was erected to celebrate Minsc as one of the heroes of the city. A surge of wild magic in the area of the statue caused the statue to come to life. *That's* who the current Minsc is! Seriously stupid.
Again, execution is what matters. If “the statue of Minsc” is a compelling character, then why not? If it’s just Minsc, brought into 5e for no good reason then it is not.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
so Zevlor with tentacles..right.
eek

In EA I was surprised when I offered to help Zevlor with Kagha, and he asked to have her assassinated! That’s not the kind of help I meant.

Since I just had that scene right now - it is actually your character that suggest that Kagha should ... go. Zevlor says that he hopes for anotehr outcome, but when it comes to Kagha or the tieflings, then he is all for offing Kagha (paraphrasing here). I totally get tha tsentiment. We are talking about a woman, who put a childs life in harms way after all.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by OcO
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Shouldnt we first know the reason he is alive, before we judge it as stupid? laugh

I have not read the comics. But as I understand it Minsc & Boo were turned to stone at some point after BG2. Then healed back to normal a little bit before Descent Into Avernus I believe(not sure how/why/when exactly).

Personally I don't have a problem with this. It is 100% possible to happen in this universe...hell we fight Drow that have been turned to stone for longer than Minsc & Boo in the Spectator fight in the UD.
No, it's much worse than this. The actual Minsc from the original games is dead. In Baldur's Gate, a statue was erected to celebrate Minsc as one of the heroes of the city. A surge of wild magic in the area of the statue caused the statue to come to life. *That's* who the current Minsc is! Seriously stupid.

Actually, it was confirmed somewhere that it is an ordinary statue and not a Minsc turned to stone for some reason?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
Since I just had that scene right now - it is actually your character that suggest that Kagha should ... go. Zevlor says that he hopes for anotehr outcome, but when it comes to Kagha or the tieflings, then he is all for offing Kagha (paraphrasing here). I totally get tha tsentiment. We are talking about a woman, who put a childs life in harms way after all.
I must have misinterpreted the dialogue choice, then.😆

journeyman
journeyman
As someone who has not played the first two Baldurs Gate games - my first digital experience with D&D was Neverwinter Nights - I only recognise SOME of the following as belonging to the old games. Some of you folks might be able to tell which ones are NPCs that we have not yet seen in any D&D medium. Might give us a clue as to what is to come.

edit: I know some of them are part of the greater setting, like Baba Yaga and Tasha.

List of Legendary Creatures in MTG: Battle for Baldurs Gate

Last edited by Doomdrake; 27/05/22 01:54 AM.

Solasta D&Does what BG3 D&Doesn't.
O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by OcO
Shouldnt we first know the reason he is alive, before we judge it as stupid? laugh

I have not read the comics. But as I understand it Minsc & Boo were turned to stone at some point after BG2. Then healed back to normal a little bit before Descent Into Avernus I believe(not sure how/why/when exactly).

Personally I don't have a problem with this. It is 100% possible to happen in this universe...hell we fight Drow that have been turned to stone for longer than Minsc & Boo in the Spectator fight in the UD.

Ok yeah I completely didn't understand that correctly. I really would have been fine with what I said, but I agree the reality of the situation is off.

Idk, a statue brought to life(stone to flesh) with wild magic is effectively a flesh golem. It can't have Minsc's memories or even part of his "soul" attached. I can't really see it being a person, closer to something like a Warforged maybe if it is suppose to be self aware, but it is in no way Minsc.

I suppose the point could be that it thinks it is Minsc so hard that it is? I'm not really buying that.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by OcO
Originally Posted by OcO

Ok yeah I completely didn't understand that correctly. I really would have been fine with what I said, but I agree the reality of the situation is off.

Idk, a statue brought to life(stone to flesh) with wild magic is effectively a flesh golem. It can't have Minsc's memories or even part of his "soul" attached. I can't really see it being a person, closer to something like a Warforged maybe if it is suppose to be self aware, but it is in no way Minsc.

I suppose the point could be that it thinks it is Minsc so hard that it is? I'm not really buying that.

Wouldn't that imply it wouldn't have all it's memories?

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Originally Posted by OcO

Actually, it was confirmed somewhere that it is an ordinary statue and not a Minsc turned to stone for some reason?

You all should read the Descent into Avernus adventure and the Baldur's Gate comics: Minsc and Boo were indeed petrified somewhere around 137X D.R. (can't remember the exact date). So the ''statue'' that had supposedly been comissioned to put in Baldur's Gate for everyone to see was initially Minsc and Boo, petrified. The ''statue'' stayed there until 1480 D.R. when it was unpetrified by a wild surge. The ''statue'' has since been replaced by a real statue.

So yeah, the Minsc we'll probably meet in BG3 is the genuine article.

Last edited by Gt27mustang; 27/05/22 10:32 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
You all should read the Descent into Avernus adventure and the Baldur's Gate comics: Minsc and Boo were indeed petrified somewhere around 137X D.R. (can't remember the exact date). So the ''statue'' that had supposedly been comissioned to put in Baldur's Gate for everyone to see was initially Minsc and Boo, petrified. The ''statue'' stayed there until 1480 D.R. when it was unpetrified by a wild surge. The ''statue'' has since been replaced by a real statue.

Sounds good to me. ^_^

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran

If that is the case, then that is a clear retcon of previous canon lore, which of course is par for the course with WotC these days. Something from years of canon doesn't quite fit what some jackass writer/producer/game developer wants to do today, no problem. Just retcon it! To these people the FR setting is just a cash-cow and they clearly have no love or respect for it.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O

If that is the case, then that is a clear retcon of previous canon lore, which of course is par for the course with WotC these days. Something from years of canon doesn't quite fit what some jackass writer/producer/game developer wants to do today, no problem. Just retcon it! To these people the FR setting is just a cash-cow and they clearly have no love or respect for it.

What was the previous situation/canon ending for Minsc? Do they have an official death/ending anywhere? I really do not know.

I've seen posts about the Minsc statue actually being him as Gt27mustang explains since early in the EA as people speculated on possible companions/cameos from previous games. I'm fine with that explanation for why Minsc & Boo are alive in the time of BG3. It isn't even a case of Larian homebrewing it in somehow. It actually works within the gameworld. If it is counter to previously established canon then yeah it is all for the $$$ but I mean can you really blame WoTC. We are talking Minsc/Boo here, possibly the single most recognized & remembered character(s) from the old series. Barring if it does directly conflict with a previously established endpoint for Minsc/Boo, personally I think it was a great way for WoTC to bring forward a fan favorite from the timeperiod of the earlier editions of d&d.

enthusiast
enthusiast

You are refering to what, Minsc's epilogue at the end of BG2? If so, personnally, I never considered it canon as it was written for a videogame. I prefer the version of WotC. It allows Minsc to be used in the FR's current timeframe. Also, I don't know about other people, but I liked the story/canon they made around Abdel Adrian, how they made him a true hero and one of the grand dukes of BG.

veteran
veteran

You are refering to what, Minsc's epilogue at the end of BG2? If so, personnally, I never considered it canon as it was written for a videogame. I prefer the version of WotC. It allows Minsc to be used in the FR's current timeframe. Also, I don't know about other people, but I liked the story/canon they made around Abdel Adrian, how they made him a true hero and one of the grand dukes of BG.
Am I incorrect, or wasn't Minsc developed for and had his first appearance in BG1??? Thus making the BG video game series THE canon source for Minsc.

A
addict
addict
A
the way i see it if a character is popular enough regardless they are dead or disintegrated, they have to find excuses or any form of method to bring them back simply because many people wants them. and TBH, i don't really mind what kind of excuses but i be happy to see Minsc and Boo again!. that's for a fact though.

but.. still no explanation on that purple halo on minsc's head?

Last edited by Archaven; 28/05/22 02:31 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Archaven
the way i see it if a character is popular enough regardless they are dead or disintegrated, they have to find excuses or any form of method to bring them back simply because many people wants them. and TBH, i don't really mind what kind of excuses but i be happy to see Minsc and Boo again!. that's for a fact though.

but.. still no explanation on that purple halo on minsc's head?

That.

veteran
veteran
I have no clue what you are talking about. As a fan of BG1&2 (the videogames) and no futher interest in the setting used for those games, my only concern is if Minsc in BG3 will make sense/work as continuation of BG1&2.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I have no clue what you are talking about. As a fan of BG1&2 (the videogames) and no futher interest in the setting used for those games, my only concern is if Minsc in BG3 will make sense/work as continuation of BG1&2.

Maybe. Pretty sure he will work/make sense in relation to the current lore written by WotC and related works (Descent into Avernus, Baldur's gate comics), since it is already know that BG3 is related/intertwined with the Descent and that Minsc, in the comics, plays a big part in that story line. My guess is they will go by that. This is what I was talking about.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I noticed an interesting trend - in MTG BG3 companions have 2 cards - 1 their own and 1 their special ability. These exist for Gale, Wyll, Lae'zel, Astarion and the Timeless Hero ranger companion. I did not notice ability cards for Shadowheart and the tiefling barbarian potential companion, but they are very likely to be the companions still. Surprisingly, female druid from previous BG games named with a J has a character and ability separate cards as well. There is also no Helia card present. Might be a sign that Helia was scrapped, but we could have 2 returning companions instead of 1...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up!!! I hope u are not right bout the Jaheira thing, though. I really want new faces in this game to party up with.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volsalex
Might be a sign that Helia was scrapped
I hope it isnt. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 02/06/22 12:39 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard