Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#814982 15/05/22 12:02 AM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So, here I go again trying to make a point about the Underdark and dungeons in BG3.

Playing Solasta and here again I find a superior version of what a dungeon, especially the Underdark, should be like.

https://baldursgate3theafflicted.blogspot.com/p/other-images.html?m=1

Notice how dark it is without a torch even though all my characters have dark vision. Then notice how much brighter it is with a torch.

That is how most dungeons should be depicted, again especially in the Underdark.

Right now, the Underdark is too well lot, and so is EVERYTHING.

Dark... Night... Stop with the blaring light EVERYWHERE.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Let me just say that they shouldn't look like this.
I hate having to brighten the screen to be able to see something because the developers decided to make dark everywhere.

The current version of Underdark is probably the best version that has appeared in the games.
In the previous games, Underdark was practically an underground desert with no life and filled with random enemies (who most likely fed rocks because nothing else was there).
Since then, however, the graphics have improved significantly.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
In the previous games, Underdark was practically an underground desert with no life and filled with random enemies (who most likely fed rocks because nothing else was there).

I really don't know what previous game you're talking about because they were as much life in BG2's underdark than in this one. Big difference was probably that it was less of a place to be...

That said I agree that it shouldn't be completely dark.
It could be a bit darker so torches are more meaningfull but I would be sad not to see the "landscape" at all.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm not one for completely dark either, but there are things that should be done to darken dungeons more.

Dank Crypt - Remove massive sunlight streaming down in every room. Make it darker by having a few small cracks streaming barely any light. Make dark vision black/white, allowing for outlines of objects, etc. but no color.

Owlbear Cave - Remove all the tons of light sources. It's a cave. It should be dark. Maybe there's a major light source near the shrine of Selune, but that should be it.

Necromancer Lair - Come on. There's so much light.

I'm not wanting full blown midnight, but I can almost go through the whole game so far without a torch as a human.

veteran
veteran
Hmmm, I felt that after lighting system was revamp the areas to appropriately dark - unless, of course, you roll with darkvision. I haven't play BG3 EA in a long time, though.

I do appreciate well done darkness - diving into dark dungeon in Eldern Ring, Witcher3 or PoE2 have been a memorable experience.

Last edited by Wormerine; 15/05/22 01:19 PM.
addict
addict
Don't want to scare the kids too much playing BG3 wink
Seriously though for myself I dislike the art style, including the lighting, but I do not disapprove of it; it fits the game they are making.

I am just a more "GOTHIC" and " HORROR" style fan. Darker palette, subdued DIRTY colors, rust on stuff, cracked stained marble, weathered wood with mold etc... I call it the <RIVEN>(1997) look. That game took immersion to the stratosphere.
Larian stuff (and not just Larian, so many modern games...) is too clean, shiny and cartoony for my taste. And then they spray BLOOD on top of that lol.
Another reason why I have a hard time getting <IMMERSED> in their worlds. It feels like a surgery room made out of plastic.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 16/05/22 01:05 AM.
veteran
veteran
Agreed ...
Crypt and Owlbear cave looked much better without all those holes in the roof. frown There is just too much daylight.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I'm not one for completely dark either, but there are things that should be done to darken dungeons more.

Dank Crypt - Remove massive sunlight streaming down in every room. Make it darker by having a few small cracks streaming barely any light. Make dark vision black/white, allowing for outlines of objects, etc. but no color.

Owlbear Cave - Remove all the tons of light sources. It's a cave. It should be dark. Maybe there's a major light source near the shrine of Selune, but that should be it.

Necromancer Lair - Come on. There's so much light.

I'm not wanting full blown midnight, but I can almost go through the whole game so far without a torch as a human.

Now that you mentioned it I finally understood the implications of having a day/night cycle. EVERY , SINGLE location would have to be rewamped. It wouldn't be a universal light change you don't have to adjust per area. All areas which were previously independent from the world would now need a new lighting system. I think....I think we are screwed. ( I talk about day&night cycle cause what you mentioned in this thread is really a question of personal preference.... While I do enjoy darker colour thones also I have to say everything Larian is doing light- wise is just cute and looks insanely good. So it's kinda the opposite of what you said. And we are both right. -\0/- ).

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

Last edited by virion; 16/05/22 06:05 AM.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.

Link Copied to Clipboard