Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
addict
Online Content
addict
P
Originally Posted by D1spl@yN@me
Individuals who respond to this thread can disagree with it.

I disagree with it.

The editions that got closest to what you wanted were the original 1e and 3x editions. Subsequent editions after 3x haven't been evolving into more fluid and open class structures, if anything we've gone from more open class structures into more fixed and rigid class structures with remarkably little customisation options within said class structures.

And, point buy isn't new, it's been around for multiple editions (at least 4 that I know of), but rolling for stats is still the first method that the PHB gives you for generating your stats.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Niara
Just for the sake of clarity and correct information:
you're not correct.

in early versions you could be a fighter/magic-user/thief a multi-class character, then they tossed that out,
No, they haven't; in fact it's easier to multi-class than ever, now, and the spread of extra options, class subtypes and feats make it very feasible to create a hybridised and flexible character in almost any way you want, fully within the class system.

there is no multi-class anymore. That's an oldschool system. In baldur's gate 1 I could create a new character, an elf fighter/magic-user, for example. Then when I get xp I have to divide the xp among both classes instead of 1.

You're being totally divisive in every possible way. Basically whenever I make a comment, you butt in and tell me how wrong I am.. That seems to be fine with you. This is more than once that you have done this.

I don't get why you have to try and discredit and beat down anything I say on this forum. It's intolerable. I'm not enjoying this forum under these conditions.

Unless this stops. I'm just going to stop posting on the forum. That's not what larian really wants. For you to drive away people who have paid and have a right to express their viewpoints here.

I have no choice but to report you in hopes that you will stop your divisive commenting.

veteran
veteran
Just for the sake of clarity and correct information:
you're not correct.

in early versions you could be a fighter/magic-user/thief a multi-class character, then they tossed that out,
No, they haven't; in fact it's easier to multi-class than ever, now, and the spread of extra options, class subtypes and feats make it very feasible to create a hybridised and flexible character in almost any way you want, fully within the class system.

there is no multi-class anymore. That's an oldschool system. In baldur's gate 1 I could create a new character, an elf fighter/magic-user, for example. Then when I get xp I have to divide the xp among both classes instead of 1.

You're being totally divisive in every possible way. Basically whenever I make a comment, you butt in and tell me how wrong I am.. That seems to be fine with you. This is more than once that you have done this.

I don't get why you have to try and discredit and beat down anything I say on this forum. It's intolerable. I'm not enjoying this forum under these conditions.

Unless this stops. I'm just going to stop posting on the forum. That's not what larian really wants. For you to drive away people who have paid and have a right to express their viewpoints here.

I have no choice but to report you in hopes that you will stop your divisive commenting.

Please, Display. I think you need to take a step back and try to calm down. Maybe reread people's posts and don't take them so personal. Try to read them with a different tone in mind.

Niara is referring to D&D 5e in which you CAN multi-class easily. Larian has also said that multiclassing will be a thing. It just isn't during EA right now.

Seriously, people are trying to tell you that you are being the aggressive one, and yet you're still being very defensive. We're trying to have friendly conversation with you. I'm objectively reading the posts, and so far, I don't see anyone insulting or attacking you. For the most part, they're disagreeing with you or pointing out flaws in your arguments, but that's not the same thing. I haven't seen one person say that you're an idiot or that you're stupid or anything insulting. It might just be the way you're reading it.

I agree with Niara's statement that a game without rules is not a game. Trying to play chess with someone who just moves all the pieces however they want is no fun and frustrating, and though we're not playing together, we are forced to play the same game. Larian COULD, of course, create all sorts of options so people can play the way they want, but that only goes so far.

Part of the issue with BG3 currently is that Larian is trying to please everyone and thus not sticking to a solid rule system. So, the game is kinda a mess from a mechanics perspective. Throwing out the fundamental class system would only butcher the game completely. That's what many are trying to tell you.

Last edited by GM4Him; 25/05/22 07:34 AM.
veteran
veteran
@Niara's posts in this thread have been perfectly fine. The OP's posts and attitude are the problem here.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A

Multiclassing is an actual system in 5e.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Character%20Advancement#toc_2

The way multiclassing works in 5e is that whenever you advance your character level, you can choose to instead take that level in a different class (provided you meet the ability score requirements), essentially stacking that class level alongside your previous class levels. Aside from these ability score prerequisites, there's no limitation on how many classes you can multiclass into. In fact, it's totally possible to take a level in every 5e class at once if you have atleast a 13 in all ability scores except CON.

This is actually closer to how dual classing worked in adnd 2e, but unlike that system it's much easier to use, isn't limited to humans, and your character is much stronger throughout the entire process. If you want to customize your character further there's also things such as subclassing and feats that you can use to do so. For example, the Eldritch Knight subclass will give your fighter spellcasting and access to some spells from the wizard spell list. Similarly, there's also several feats that you can take to gain class features from other classes such as the skill expert feat which gives you expertise (a rogue and bard class feature) and the Metamagic adept feat which gives you the Sorcerer's metamagic class feature.

The system isn't in the game yet, but Larian has said it's planned to be there for the full release.

addict
addict
One of the main reasons I bought this game was for the class system,. Old school? More like timeless.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard