Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by sublimeclown
Yeah, by dialogue flavor I meant that it would not have any bearing on the NPC's reaction. No additional voice or motion caption required.
So ...
Basicaly you say that you want dialogue option the game will not even recognize? O_o

You can aswell say it out loud by the PC and result should be the same. :-/

Yup I would be good with that. Would give a little more personality to my character. Also, I often do read my lines out loud lol.

veteran
veteran
Yup I would be good with that. Would give a little more personality to my character. Also, I often do read my lines out loud lol.
Im really not sure i follow ...

You get to certain dialogue options ... pick one ... nothing happened ... you are in the same dialogue option ...

I dont understand meaning of this, sory. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
S
Im really not sure i follow ...

You get to certain dialogue options ... pick one ... nothing happened ... you are in the same dialogue option ...

I dont understand meaning of this, sory. :-/

What I mean is the NPC's response wouldn't change based on your background-specific dialogue. For example, when Gale asks if you want to experience the weave, if you're a Sage you could say something like "I've studied the weave in books, but would like to experience it firsthand." Gale's response would still be "Then follow my lead." It doesn't change his response, just the way you interact with him. I believe this already happens with certain class-specific dialogue options.

veteran
veteran
Not exactly ...
When you get class-specific, or race-specific, or deity-specific, or origin-specific (Baldurian, Underdark, Planar ... or i dunno how Githyanki have it named if not planar) options ... you usualy bypass some diceroll and get straight to the positive result (as if the roll would be succesfull).

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/06/22 08:03 PM.

S
S
Not exactly ...
When you get class-specific, or race-specific, or deity-specific, or origin-specific (Baldurian, Underdark, Planar ... or i dunno how Githyanki have it named if not planar) options ... you usualy bypass some diceroll and get straight to the positive result (as if the roll would be succesfull).

I’m pretty sure in that weave scene, if you’re a cleric you can say something like “Mystra usually talks to me through prayer but I don’t mind trying” and Gale replies with his regular “Then follow my lead.” Sometimes it does affect their response or bypasses something but not always and it certainly doesn’t HAVE to in the case of backgrounds. It seems like you’d prefer fewer dialogue options, which is fine. I’d prefer a bigger variety personally.

veteran
veteran
usualy
but not always
I dont see any contradiction here. smile

It seems like you’d prefer fewer dialogue options
I would say i preffer meaningfull dialogue options ...
You know, when dialogue option says "yes i do" ... and my character dont talk (aka is not voiced) ... nothing, litteraly nothing in the universe can stop me from using the exact same option with every single character i create ... and yet let every single one of them will actualy say something else. wink :P

Honestly that is the reason why i was kinda sad when i find out that Larian step out from their original dialogue, since they were written in third person and quite vaguely ...
In the same situation you would get something like [CLERIC] "You accepted Gale offer ... this might be interesting experience."
And it would be up to you to fill the exact words your character would be using. wink I liked that. frown

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
While it would be cool to have reactivity for backgrounds, it just really isn't feasible with the sheer number of backgrounds available (13). They also already have reactivity for Race, Class, Origin characters, Subclass, and Deity Selection; adding in backgrounds would just be a little too much work. Like even BG3's competitors such as the owlcat pathfinder games don't have background reactivity because of how many possible permutations you would need.

IIRC though, there actually is a little bit of "background" reactivity as all custom characters are supposed to be from the city of Baldur's Gate and so they have the "Balduran" tag which lets them know things about the city. Other characters like Gale (who is from Waterdeep) don't have this tag. I think this and the unique background inspiration point quests are probably the most we're going to get in this area.

R
old hand
old hand
R
usualy
but not always
I dont see any contradiction here. smile

It seems like you’d prefer fewer dialogue options
I would say i preffer meaningfull dialogue options ...
You know, when dialogue option says "yes i do" ... and my character dont talk (aka is not voiced) ... nothing, litteraly nothing in the universe can stop me from using the exact same option with every single character i create ... and yet let every single one of them will actualy say something else. wink :P

Honestly that is the reason why i was kinda sad when i find out that Larian step out from their original dialogue, since they were written in third person and quite vaguely ...
In the same situation you would get something like [CLERIC] "You accepted Gale offer ... this might be interesting experience."
And it would be up to you to fill the exact words your character would be using. wink I liked that. frown

You are most likely in the fairly small minority who liked it. From what I can remember, the reaction to this was overwhelmingly negative.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard