Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by gaymer
Their writer PR guy had to defend this massive time sink of PFH series on Twitter from the likes of us.
I've noticed the subreddit is having a field day with that stuff.
Because of course there's no target more convenient to hit than strawman not hitting back.

I don't think many people were ACTUALLY concerned about the PFH "slowing down development" in general, so it's a clarification that doesn't really solve anything.

Personally what I don't like about them is that all this pageantry creates a filter that slow down any direct communication.
When instead of talking to your community on a regular basis about what you are working on and what's coming you need to have a once-in-a -blue-moon over-produced variety show filled with awkward gags, how can that NOT be the case?

Case in point: we have a show in two days to promote the upcoming update and no one has the faintest clue of what it's supposed to introduce, aside for the bard class.

EDIT- Then again, this is the type of content that gets quickly popular there (well, that and massive simping brigades):

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/vs02e7/only_original_opinions_on_this_subreddit/

It's basically like having a board filled just with JandK clones getting catty at anyone expressing any malcontent about anything.
Yeah i hate all the simping and raaah look at these idiots not knowing how game development works arent we better then them types, then they proceed to write 16 paragraphs about how larian have got everything perfect and if you disagree, your a bg1/2 boomer scrub

I used to read the reddit a lot but its all mostly fan art simping or hive mind mentality and i really cba with it

veteran
veteran
It's basically like having a board filled just with JandK clones getting catty at anyone expressing any malcontent about anything.

I've suggested certain changes and been vocal about elements in the game I don't like.

That said, I think there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and sniping off venomous comments.

Example:

Constructive: "I would prefer the adamantine weapons to be stronger. Right now, they don't live up to the hype that the storyline promises."

-versus-

Venomous: "The trash toilet chain sucks farts and the writers are incompetent morons."

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK

I've suggested certain changes and been vocal about elements in the game I don't like.

That said, I think there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and sniping off venomous comments.

Example:

Constructive: "I would prefer the adamantine weapons to be stronger. Right now, they don't live up to the hype that the storyline promises."

-versus-

Venomous: "The trash toilet chain sucks farts and the writers are incompetent morons."

vs what people have actually said: "The toilet chain system is awful. Party movement needs to be improved."

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
vs what people have actually said: "The toilet chain system is awful. Party movement needs to be improved."

More than this has been said.

veteran
veteran
Yep. In much greater detail and with tons of practical examples, too.

Then again, I'm sure nothing of it was as useful, relevant and constructive as nitpicking on the minute balance of individual magic items.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/07/22 08:37 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Yep. In much greater detail and with tons of practical examples, too.

Then again, I'm sure nothing of it was as useful, relevant and constructive as nitpicking on the minute balance of individual magic items.

As a matter of logic, it's unfortunate I even have to point this out.

Suggesting that there have been some constructive comments about the movement system does not negate the unconstructive stream of negativity and hate that's been spewed. Look at half the comments by Mr. Planewhaterhisnameis for examples.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Nothing that wasn't said about DoS 1&2. What Larian needs to understand is: fixing this issue now will result in easier implementation for all their future games. The way they do group/party movement has been a complaint for a long time.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gaymer
The way they do group/party movement has been a complaint for a long time.

I don't have any issues with the movement system. It works fine for me.

veteran
veteran
Well, that’s just your problem, isn’t it?

Just because you are fine sleeping on a stone floor, it doesn’t mean you have a legitimate point when questioning the superior ergonomics of a proper orthopedic bed.

“It works fine for me” is a hollow and pointless statement.
It’s demonstrably and measurably a less efficient system to control multiple characters at once.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/07/22 10:03 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
...demonstrably and measurably...

I'm not convinced you know what those words mean.

veteran
veteran
...demonstrably and measurably...

I'm not convinced you know what those words mean.
I surely do.
I mean, I can teach you, if you wish.
Not EVERYTHING is up to personal opinions, as you seem to think.

You may argue that you like this sad joke of a control scheme and no one will be able to take it away from you, but you won’t be able to argue in good faith that it’s more efficient, precise, granular or quick to use, because you can count how many clicks/actions are required to accomplish determinate maneuvers. That is NOT a matter of taste.

We went often at great lengths to describe numerous scenarios where the current system proved itself unquestionably inadequate compared to some popular alternatives.

You’d know if you paid any ACTUAL attention to the dedicated discussion rather than being just SO invested in dismissing and downplaying most of the criticism you cross.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/07/22 10:42 PM.

addict
addict
Damn. JandK not sure why you confuse criticism for negativity when by now all people on this forum actually like the game but yes. I guess it's your way to deal with things.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
Alright, relax guys.

Does pointing out that you haven't had an issue with a system invalidate or attack you somehow? No. Does it add to the conversation? Not really. Neither does interjecting a topic within a topic, that isn't about the topic either. This topic is about a new PFH announcement, anything other than that is strictly not adding to the conversation (referring to report of posts).

An example: While pointing out that I haven't had any problem with the control schemes in BG3 personally, for example, it doesn't mean it can't be improved. In fact, it'd be just that; an improvement. It's not an attack or attempts to shut down criticism, but rather sharing a different experience. Albeit, meaningless sharing, on a topic that has no place in this thread in the first place, making all of your childish collective tantrums even more misplaced. Yet I do go out of my way to use the channels of communication I have to re-iterate online discussions on the subject and push them into the feedback pipeline of Larian, doing the bits I can to make sure it's heard. Because I'd like to see it polished/reworked/redesigned from the ground up. That's probably the better argument, that it'd make no difference to me who doesn't find an issue with it, so improvements are a good thing either way you put it. But that part is up to Larian.

So again; Relax. If I were to slap hands every time some of you misbehave even a little bit, a handful would be timed out at any given time of the week, because there is in fact some 'venomous' elements to certain styles of argumentation, posters, biases and inter-personal dislikes that tend to be amped up from having prior heated arguments. So saying everyone's innocent and never getting a little bit overboard sometimes is very false and disingenuous.

Instead, try to just pick your fights, don't bother dying on a hill when you don't need to, and just exert some patience. There's only so much patience of mine left if you don't.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@composer

Damn dude, feel sorry for ya, trying to to your best to keep things civilized while your task could've been made so effortless if someone at Larian actually did the freaking effort to bring a bulletpoint list of the main complaints and recurring threads on the forum to a meeting and reported back to us which topics can be closed and what is still open to discussion. I mean why not ? We all bought the game already. They already massively oversold EA according to their own expectations. They have little to lose by simply communicating with us. All the more so because final release will reveal these things to us anyway. Only difference being that people will be a lot more angry if they've been led to believe that there's a slight possibility that their pet peeve or request will make it into the game. Communicating now that certain things wont change will only hasten the process of anger-denial-acceptance and refocus the creative energy here to topics where we could actually contribute. Such a waste. Lets see if they manage to move a bit in the right direction in terms of communication this PFH.

Last edited by SerraSerra; 06/07/22 10:46 AM.
veteran
veteran
They have much to lose by telling us things.

More income. More advertisement.

Keep silent, and the forum discussions continue. Tell us what we want to know, and forums suddenly go silent.

enthusiast
enthusiast
What would they lose if they did a kind of AMA forum thing where they explain: "No Day/Night because of...." , "We are aware of issues with chain control scheme but for 'reason' we decided not to change it", "We are considering increasing party size but it wont be added until after final release", etc etc.

Not telling us simply leaves the floor open and breeds unrealistic expectations. IMO it's time they stepped in and owned their stuff. I mean I think they should be proud of what they do and I hope they are. So why should they hide their decisions and reasoning for it ? It seems disingenuous and to me, it suggests they could find the criticisms legitimate,that they feel ashamed to stand up for their work,are too insecure about what they do, or feel too afraid of the online bullies to stand up to them. In the end it's their product and it feels like a pity if they would feel they would 'lose' if they were honest about it.

Last edited by SerraSerra; 06/07/22 11:02 AM.
veteran
veteran
Another AMA would be great to learn more recent info about the game. In an early interview they did say they are not including a day/night cycle and why, however: https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3...-to-fan-feedback-adding-raytracing/amp/.

Just 1 more day until PFH! celebrate

veteran
veteran
I don't disagree with you. I'd LOVE answers.

But it's like Tom Bombadil. Tolkien refused to ever explain who or what he is. As a result, he's still a widely debated character. Is he Illuvatar? Is he the spirit of the world? Is he the essence of good?

Now, what would have happened if he'd told people who Tom was? Result? No further discussion.

By not telling us anything, it drives us fans crazy, and we just can't stop talking about everything we want. The topics and discussions keep going, and the more they keep going, the more new people are likely to read them and want to get involved. It keeps the discussions alive as all of us crazy fans wait eagerly for the next PFH for them to reveal just a small portion of what they're doing.

And, yeah. I imagine they're eating it up.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
By not telling us anything, it drives us fans crazy, and we just can't stop talking about everything we want. The topics and discussions keep going, and the more they keep going, the more new people are likely to read them and want to get involved.

You really like writing the same things over and over again ?
Didnt you realize that you're even talking alone in a few thread ? grin

They just keep the frustration alive for everyone with this lack of communication. Even players "not so involved in EA" are sick of waiting for release while our expectations and suggestions makes us sick. Now 7 days after a PFH the hype is totally down for 4 monthes.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 06/07/22 12:40 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
They have little to lose by simply communicating with us. All the more so because final release will reveal these things to us anyway. Only difference being that people will be a lot more angry if they've been led to believe that there's a slight possibility that their pet peeve or request will make it into the game. Communicating now that certain things wont change will only hasten the process of anger-denial-acceptance and refocus the creative energy here to topics where we could actually contribute. Such a waste. Lets see if they manage to move a bit in the right direction in terms of communication this PFH.

Amen ! I've been saying that a couple of times, and it still leaves me a bit incredulous when people say "Larian should not give answers because then people would be disappointed". People will be disappointed, at some point. Because it will become known, at some point, that feature X didn't improve/change. It's just probably better to have that point be now, rather than when the game releases and everyone rates it on Steam and Metacritic.

Anyway, Larian told us to expect community manager news over the summer.

Let's see if they have changed their mind about not engaging with us.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard