Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Making everything super bright also makes the spells that light things up pointless.

While I want the darker dungeons back let's not be untruthful, it might not look as dark, but light is still needed unless you want to have disadvantage from obscured due to darkness.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
The more screenshots i see from you, the more im convinced that Larian took our complaints in last patch for this game being too dark, so even characters with superior darkvision cant navigate in space at all without any source of light ... too litteraly. :-/

So dear Larian ... if you listen this time aswell ...
You missunderstanded us. :-/

We didnt wanted to add more light into universe, we wanted better implementation of Darkvision. frown

Exactly, even because I don't think I remember a single soul complaining about the game being too dark. On the contrary, since the start of this forum people were complaining about BG3 "not feeling dark enough for a BG game".
The previous iteration of colour palette and lightning was 100% better than this. People just wanted to see better in the dark with their features (darkvision), not a brighter universe.

V
V
Originally Posted by Sharet
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
The more screenshots i see from you, the more im convinced that Larian took our complaints in last patch for this game being too dark, so even characters with superior darkvision cant navigate in space at all without any source of light ... too litteraly. :-/

So dear Larian ... if you listen this time aswell ...
You missunderstanded us. :-/

We didnt wanted to add more light into universe, we wanted better implementation of Darkvision. frown

Exactly, even because I don't think I remember a single soul complaining about the game being too dark. On the contrary, since the start of this forum people were complaining about BG3 "not feeling dark enough for a BG game".
The previous iteration of colour palette and lightning was 100% better than this. People just wanted to see better in the dark with their features (darkvision), not a brighter universe.
I didn’t like the previous color palettes for them being too saturated, but I very much liked that the game had deep contrast and really dark dungeons. Now they seem to have turned down the saturation, but lowered a contrast as well while cranking up brightness. One step forward, one step backward. Hoping they’ll find the sweet spot here.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
veteran
veteran
I honestly go back and forth. Being able to see Larian's Underdark environment and dungeons is artistic and beautiful. So, in that regard, it's kinda nice to actually see everything. On the other hand, being able to see everything ruins the entire immersion of the super dark, scary Underdark with monsters coming out of the shadows to pounce on you - who are waiting just beyond your torch's glow.

I get that it's a video game, and that in some respects lighting is incredibly important. The last thing you want is for players to be floundering around in the darkness getting frustrated because they can only see maybe 60 feet in front of them constantly. On the other hand, other video games have done it well.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2. Roaming through the spider lair in the goblin caves. It was pretty dark, but there was a sort of glow around the characters allowing them to see a fairly decent distance in all directions. It wasn't great visibility, but you could see, and enemies would suddenly come out of the darkness and attack. It added to the intensity of the encounters.

I really don't like the flashlight vision because you can't see behind you or in any other direction but the cone. That's not good for a game where facing isn't important. I'd much rather have it be similar to the Dark Alliance 2 game where those who have Darkvision have a sort of glow up to 60 (or in the case of drow 120) feet around them when you select them. Everything beyond the glow is pitch black. For those without Darkvision, pitch black unless you are using a torch. IT'S THE UNDERDARK!!! You shouldn't be able to see ANYTHING unless you have Darkvision or a light source.

And, frankly, if you don't use a lightsource, those who don't have Darkvision should be totally unable to function. Even if they don't darken it and you, the player can see everything, the characters should have some sort of reaction when they don't have a light source in total darkness. They are absolutely blind. I shouldn't be able to run around as my drow with Gale, for example, and have absolutely no light, and simply forget that Gale can't see. He should be like, "Um. Excuse me. A little light, please. I can't see a thing down here." And he frankly shouldn't move. The man can't see to run, let alone jump. You might argue that the drow could lead him about in the dark, but that only goes so far. I'm just saying, even if they don't darken the environments, the characters should at least react to what is supposed to be total darkness.

journeyman
journeyman
+1 Yep the new colour scheme is way overdone. The Underdark looks fine but that should have been done in the art/scene lighting for those areas not a global change, which is frankly lazy. Then again I didn't have an issue with I just used a light spell for my non-Darkvision characters so I could see everything, you know like the reason the spell exists...

Also for people who were complaining about the darkness you do have a Gamma control.

Larian, please go back to the Patch 7 lighting and if you still feel the need to brighten the dark areas then go in and adjust them in the scene lighting and don't take the lazy way out by using global changes.

(Also please hire some more staff to help out so we can get the finished game sooner than next year)

Last edited by FuriousGreg; 11/07/22 04:23 PM.
V
V
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I honestly go back and forth. Being able to see Larian's Underdark environment and dungeons is artistic and beautiful. So, in that regard, it's kinda nice to actually see everything. On the other hand, being able to see everything ruins the entire immersion of the super dark, scary Underdark with monsters coming out of the shadows to pounce on you - who are waiting just beyond your torch's glow.

I get that it's a video game, and that in some respects lighting is incredibly important. The last thing you want is for players to be floundering around in the darkness getting frustrated because they can only see maybe 60 feet in front of them constantly. On the other hand, other video games have done it well.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2. Roaming through the spider lair in the goblin caves. It was pretty dark, but there was a sort of glow around the characters allowing them to see a fairly decent distance in all directions. It wasn't great visibility, but you could see, and enemies would suddenly come out of the darkness and attack. It added to the intensity of the encounters.

I really don't like the flashlight vision because you can't see behind you or in any other direction but the cone. That's not good for a game where facing isn't important. I'd much rather have it be similar to the Dark Alliance 2 game where those who have Darkvision have a sort of glow up to 60 (or in the case of drow 120) feet around them when you select them. Everything beyond the glow is pitch black. For those without Darkvision, pitch black unless you are using a torch. IT'S THE UNDERDARK!!! You shouldn't be able to see ANYTHING unless you have Darkvision or a light source.

And, frankly, if you don't use a lightsource, those who don't have Darkvision should be totally unable to function. Even if they don't darken it and you, the player can see everything, the characters should have some sort of reaction when they don't have a light source in total darkness. They are absolutely blind. I shouldn't be able to run around as my drow with Gale, for example, and have absolutely no light, and simply forget that Gale can't see. He should be like, "Um. Excuse me. A little light, please. I can't see a thing down here." And he frankly shouldn't move. The man can't see to run, let alone jump. You might argue that the drow could lead him about in the dark, but that only goes so far. I'm just saying, even if they don't darken the environments, the characters should at least react to what is supposed to be total darkness.
+1, having a disadvantage on attacks when a target is unlit is a bare minimum.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
K
Banned
Banned
K
IMO, the Patch 7 illithid ship had an appropriately dank, bleak, alien vibe with the starker colours and pitch black shadows. Now it looks, to me at least, like a child’s plastic toy. I also liked the harshly oversaturated colours on the exterior – it really makes you feel like you’re in some kind of ‘other dimension’, with its own searing, hellish lighting system. Apparently the ship is supposed to be hurtling through a realm of hell, after all – not that I can take seriously an iota of the hyperactive plotline: at least not enough to give the narrative more than the scantest attention.

But then there does seem to be a case for ‘too dark’ being an accessibility problem – plus some people do apparently have a preference for Patch 8 lighting.

Toggle or slider, then, definitely seems to be the way to go. Right now it looks like someone took a big dirty slash against one of my favourite paintings, staining it into a muted mess of its former self.

apprentice
apprentice
I agree, particularly with regards to contrast. Much prefer 7.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by konmehn
Toggle or slider, then, definitely seems to be the way to go. Right now it looks like someone took a big dirty slash against one of my favourite paintings, staining it into a muted mess of its former self.

Yeah that is pretty much how I see the game right now as well. Like I'm watching a cheap copy of my favorite painting through foggy glasses. As for it being a toggle, unfortunately I see that suggestion posted on these forums way too often and we would end up with an option menu with 3000 pages of toggle options at this rate laugh

If the current lighting really looked good, then it wouldn't even need a toggle/slider nor would so many people express their opinions about the loss of quality. So the real solution naturally is to fix the lighting and colors, through adjustments and tweaks. And once it looks great, then the Accessibility options such as Brightness and other customizability options could be added.

At least a lot of people are recognizing the clear loss of quality in lighting, contrast and color quality across the board, which is good. I just hope BG3 doesn't lose something which was universally praised since its release, which is incredibly impressive graphics.

K
Banned
Banned
K
I agree a toggle-fest is undesirable, but for ‘big impact’ changes like this, I’d be inclined to say it’s the only way. Because you can’t remove accessibility options. But you should also be able to stick to your artistic guns and implement a style that’s maybe less accessible but has more personality for those who don’t mind, say, a bit of darkness.

veteran
veteran
So, my son walks in while I'm playing. He never plays BG3. Knows little about it. I'm in the prologue just about to meet Lae'zel. He says, "What's wrong with your graphics card. That game runs real bad on your PC. It looks terrible, like worse than Minecraft. The colors are awful."

That, I think, says it all. When I told him they changed the colors for this patch, he was floored. He said it was WAY too saturated and hurt his eyes.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm torn on the lighting.

On one hand, I do enjoy things like the chapel and tomb being a little more well-lit, since there is some sun coming in. The outdoor spots look fine to me, except yes, things like the goblin camp should definitely be more dark and grimy to give that specific impression of the environment.
However, in spots that are underground with zero lighting (ie. The Underdark), it should be almost pitch black.

Give me a reason to use my Darkvision and Light/Dancing Lights. If players complain they can't see, then that's kind of their own fault for
A) Not taking Light/Dancing Lights (Which are available to both Shadowheart and Gale)
B) Bringing a torch or two along
C) Bringing Astarion along

If people STILL complain about it, simply add an item to the game that provides the Dancing Lights Cantrip. Solved.

And the hair.. OOF, the hair.
I've created quite a few characters since Patch 8 dropped, and I can't find a single good redhead or blonde colour. It seems like all the blondes have gone gray, and all the redhead colours have gone pink, or literal orange/red. Nothing looks natural anymore.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Noraver
If people STILL complain about it, simply add an item to the game that provides the Dancing Lights Cantrip. Solved.

lol, not only are there torches everywhere, there's already a locket that does the dancing lights cantrip *and* a ring that does the light spell.

people just seem to complain no matter what. it's like that letter in the game: An Open Letter On Oppression and Peacocks.

sometimes I get the feeling that letter is meant to represent some of the comments Larian gets.

K
Banned
Banned
K
Originally Posted by JandK
people just seem to complain no matter what. it's like that letter in the game: An Open Letter On Oppression and Peacocks.

sometimes I get the feeling that letter is meant to represent some of the comments Larian gets.

It’s a bizarre notion to assume, like sheep, people will just graze upon whatever grass Larian puts before them – if you’ve any sort of mind whatsoever, you’ll likely have an opinion on the grass: whether it’s positive or negative is irrelevant, as it’s all down to taste.

I just scan-read the suggestions pages, and see you do a fair amount of complaining yourself either way. I.e. what do you call the below:

Exhibit 1
Exhibit 2

Pot, kettle, black, much?

Maybe Larian are referring to your own wee complaints in the ‘letter’ – and wouldn’t that be funny now, seeing as you’re snickering at everyone else for being ‘moaners’?

No offence, but it’s probably the more trifling lamentations about the likes of Us and familiars that has them rolling their eyes, considering they’re up to their elbows in what’s sure to become – if it hasn’t already – dev hell, given the scope of their ambitions. Bigger fish to fry and all that.

The lighting change has an obviously immense impact on the global visuals, which effects every single asset they’ll create. Some people approach the change from a purely mechanical point of view, in that it’s either practically useful or not. Whereas many others, obviously, have approached it on its dubious artistic merit.

It’s simply an opinion – there’ll be many more. I wouldn’t scoff at them. You’re only shouting at a brick wall anyway, since people will always express them.

Some folks seem to think this thing is the infallible Second Coming of Christ – now that’s where the real lols are at.

Last edited by konmehn; 13/07/22 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So, my son walks in while I'm playing. He never plays BG3. Knows little about it. I'm in the prologue just about to meet Lae'zel. He says, "What's wrong with your graphics card. That game runs real bad on your PC. It looks terrible, like worse than Minecraft. The colors are awful."

That, I think, says it all. When I told him they changed the colors for this patch, he was floored. He said it was WAY too saturated and hurt his eyes.

LOL laugh

Truth be told there are some very specific scenes with specific angles that look somewhat good, such as this shot. Even though her armor and hair are currently not interacting with shadows very well, it does look really nice because it's a close-up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you get a wide-angle though, then yeah it starts looking more and more apparent how things don't really blend together. Such as here where the background looks washed out due to brightened darks in a soft bluish-pink tint, while her armor and hair really stick out and don't seem to be playing with shadows nicely.

Also the clouds from Hell are gone. I actually liked those clouds frown

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V

"From the mouths of babes"

veteran
veteran
The lighting is totally off too. My halfelf bard with copper hair looks like she has bright pink hair on the Nautilus for example.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
So I don't know if anyone mentioned it here, at least I did not find it when searching - the skin rendering is EXCELLENT in this patch. The skin tones look a bit darker, but we're back to the initial skin rendering where you can see every minute detail like pores, freckles, veins etc. It looks really gorgeous. In patch 6-7 I think the skin looked really washed out and didnt do justice to Larian's beautiful textures. Patch 8 brought it back.

With everything else - hard agree - the colors do look brighter and way too washed out.

Last edited by Arideya; 14/07/22 04:59 PM.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
veteran
veteran
Interesting. I created Diadell again as a Rogue -. BTW, Expertise now makes her perfect according to Tabletop using Charlatan instead of Master of Disguise. So, very happy there.

I used Orange 5, like I did in previous patches. Didn't look right, but I kept it anyway. Get into the game, and she looks fine. The hair looks more orange even on the Nautiloid. So I wonder how many are just messed up on the character creation screen.

veteran
veteran
Note:. Each time I short rested, I Fast Traveled to camp. Transition each time was super fast. Less than 5 seconds.

So, SR could easily transport party to mini-camps, such as in dank crypt, for dialogue purposes. Then, have indicator over character heads. Only in camp can Gale use his Arcane Recovery, so only during SR. Could be easily done.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard