Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
veteran
veteran
D
In relation to Rana_Loreus

I indeed misunderstood your post and I can agree with most of your arguments. I am sorry.
It was a while I played BG2 and I remember that "Sword and Shield" style actually affected the shield and not the weapon.

veteran
veteran
Well, that's how some people play pen-and-paper D&D. Experience is awarded at the end of an adventure or at certain more quite "key point". But in a computer game that would take something away from the character building aspect that's crucial for a CRPG to work. Imagine only awarding experience once per act in BD... that would mean you would play an entire act with a fixed skill set and at a fixed level. From a roleplaying perspective this might be interesting but probably hard to get right in a computer game. You could of course split up the game into smaller bits than acts.

- Telemachos

** WARNING - SPOILERS FOLLOW **

Good point. Act I is quite long and you'd probably get about 3 levels by the time you were rewarded. But given how linear it is, you could have check points, say (bulleted points being optional):
  1. Escaping through the tunnel.
  2. Falling down the pit.
  3. Reaching the citidel level.
  4. Opening the door to exit the drill ground.
  5. Reaching the barracks.
  6. Reaching Samuel's lair.
  7. Finishing the act.
  • Laying Edmund to rest.
  • Retreiving the boney tooth.
  • Accessing the military school/Weapons Master. (East of citidal level.)
  • Retrieving the book about poison.
  • Retrieving the book about torture.
  • Defeating the summoned ghost.
  • Completing the parquas.
  • Exposing the champion archer.
  • Accessing the armoury.
  • Winning the chess game.
  • Removing the rat problem.
  • Accessing the forge.
  • Accessing each battlefield dungeon level (9 bonuses in total).
  • Completing each battlefield quest (4 bonuses in total).

Each of the numbered points has several sub-points. "Escaping through the tunnel" awards experience based on how many cells you entered. If you return after passing that checkpoint and enter more cells, the experience adds up until you reach the next checkpoint.

Any thoughts?

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
It would be kinda interesting, but what about the battlefields then? Those would be hard to get to work with this experience scheme. I guess you could award experience when you leave the BF but that would just be annoying for the player I think since the purpose of the BF is to level up until you're strong enough and this way you'll have no idea how much exactly you've gotten stronger while on the BF... not until you actually leave that is.

- Telemachos

veteran
veteran
The battlefields do make that tricky. They're not about quests and story. They're about emptying dungeon levels of monsters. Anything other than Hack & Slash is out of place there.

Well, then we'll set up the battlefields to award experience per kill and have each new level, and each time you leave the battlefield, as a checkpoint.

Or they could redesign them so that the battlefields aren't just combat. What if one dungeon was combat, one was booby trapped and lever puzzled beyond belief, and the third was... I dunno... something magical like.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
In relation to Rana_Loreus

I indeed misunderstood your post and I can agree with most of your arguments. I am sorry.
It was a while I played BG2 and I remember that "Sword and Shield" style actually affected the shield and not the weapon.

Hi, don't worry about it. There are times I have been in your shoes, misunderstanding someone only to find out that I have been too hasty. My words are a bit harsh at times too. May the next exchange that we have be far more friendlier than now grin

Oh Lorvidale, never shall the sun shines on thee again...
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well, that's how some people play pen-and-paper D&D. Experience is awarded at the end of an adventure or at certain more quite "key point". But in a computer game that would take something away from the character building aspect that's crucial for a CRPG to work. Imagine only awarding experience once per act in BD... that would mean you would play an entire act with a fixed skill set and at a fixed level. From a roleplaying perspective this might be interesting but probably hard to get right in a computer game. You could of course split up the game into smaller bits than acts.

Another way is have it such that each skills are group under various categories, with each category having their own experience points. (I believe Anarchy Online, or some other MMORPG does it). So we have combat experience, stealth experience, magic experience and etc. As the player uses a particular skill, the experience point in the skill's category increases. So when the player gains a new level, he can add points to skills related to that category.

Another way is have experience points for each skill (like Dungeon Siege). So as the player uses the skill, it improves. Or we can have both system - the typical level up through experience points and improving skill by using it.

Good point. Act I is quite long and you'd probably get about 3 levels by the time you were rewarded. But given how linear it is, you could have check points, say (bulleted points being optional):

[list snipped]

Any thoughts?

I like the ideas too...but I don't think we have to be too picky about the checkpoints. Quests shall give their XP straight away (so the players can know whether it is worth it or not).

Another common take on the idea is to have a level cap. Hence, to make sure the DK for the Act I patrol are always unkillable, we cap the level limit before the patrol to 8. But then again, I don't find this fun.

Oh Lorvidale, never shall the sun shines on thee again...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard