Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
old hand
old hand
Keyboard/mouse for life.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The Switch version of bg1/2 is actually great. they did such a good job its one of my fav ways to play the game

old hand
old hand
What kind of philistine plays the seminal computer roleplaying game with a gamepad?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
What kind of philistine plays the seminal computer roleplaying game with a gamepad?
Xzoviac is the kind of Philistine that uses a controller to play role playing games as I wish to play baldur's gate on the train, You simians may refer to me merely as "sir" if you prefer a less... syllable-intensive workout.

Last edited by Xzoviac; 10/07/22 07:26 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Xzoviac is the kind of Philistine that uses a controller to play role playing games as I wish to play baldur's gate on the train, You simians may refer to me merely as "sir" if you prefer a less... syllable-intensive workout.

No matter where they find themselves, a true maverick mage makes the room for the necessary implements: presently or in advance.

enthusiast
enthusiast

No matter where they find themselves, a true maverick mage makes the room for the necessary implements: presently or in advance.

Im the kind of person, that likes to find the easiest way to do things.
give me a hard job and ill find an easy way to complete it.

keyboard mouse/ mods for bg1-2 are definitely the "best" way to play.
but on the move relaxing on the train the switch is convenient easy, and a lazy way to play.
and I do love being lazy

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by robertthebard
This is exactly my point. Was Dragon Age Origins crap on XBox? Maybe you played it on Playstation? Maybe you never touched it on either, but "it's on console, and it's party based, so it's bad"?
I played it on PC, which is WIDELY recognized to be the best version of the game by a landslide? And the UI (not to mention the possibility to use the tactical view) is a big part of why.
Still not sure why this is relevant.

Why are you even rambling on and on about the merits of playing CRPGs on consoles? At WHAT POINT did I even state that people should not enjoy these games there? Did you once again lose the thread of the conversation?

I started talking about how the failures of the chain system are NOT tied to its attempt to cater to console players and as an answer you started going on and on for several posts about how you enjoy playing these games on console.
Ok? So fucking what? WHY IS THIS RELEVANT to begin with?

And apparently now you are even demanding to have my approval about it, which you won't get because I DO NOT enjoy playing party based CRPGs on controllers, PERIOD.

But more importantly, when did you get the impression that I wanted to argue the merits or demerits of playing these games on consoles?
Because I can promise you I didn't.

The fallacy is that these games can't work with a controller.
This is your stated opinion,
I never claimed anything of that sort.
I challenge you to find me the quote where I stated it.

So you can choose to ignore it, like you just did with the "what's agree got to do with it"? Every time I've listed off some games that I've played with a controller, or that someone else has listed off other games, your response is "well, that's crap anyway", even going so far as to list off NWN 2, right? No, I'm starting to feel like I'm taking the bait a little too hard and will be hearing from someone official soon. Anyone that's curious can read through our exchange, at least in posts that I've made, to see what I'm responding to. I provide the full context for just that reason.

veteran
veteran
Every time I've listed off some games that I've played with a controller

Ok, seriously now...

What the hell are you even trying to say?
What are you even rambling about?
WHY. DO. YOU. KEEP. TALKING. ABOUT. GAMES. THAT. YOU. ENJOY. PLAYING. WITH. A. CONTROLLER.

That was NEVER the topic, until you tried TO FORCEFULLY steer the conversation there.
Quite frankly I don't give a shit about what you enjoy to play or on what. I pointed that I don't share your enthusiasm for it only because you kept mentioning it, but It has nothing to do with what I said, it bears no relevance to the topic that started this conversation, it doesn't relate to the chain in any way, shape or form.
My only mention of consoles and controllers was precisely to argue that I DO NOT believe that these are responsible of the shortcoming of the chain system. Nor that the need to cater to them counts as a valid justification.

Anyone that's curious can read through our exchange, at least in posts that I've made, to see what I'm responding to. I provide the full context for just that reason.
Yeah, exactly, it's here for anyone to see that you keep expecting to score a GOTCHA while switching entirely the topic being discussed.

I keep talking about the shortcomings of the chain system as a PC-centric UI and you keep trying to make some point about controllers being Ok for CRPGs, which is... whatever?

P.S.

So you can choose to ignore it, like you just did with the "what's agree got to do with it"? .
Ok.... What do you want to hear me say about it, exactly?
Do you want the most redundant and didactic explanation of that exchange, otherwise you'll keep CRYING about it as if was dodging your "strikingly good arguments"?
Fine, here it is: "The abrupt way you started with that, after quoting a whole lot of other stuff I said, made it look so sudden that at first I had no idea what you were even answering to."

There, happy now? Do you suddenly feel like you scored a big point?

And incidentally you were right: I don't need to agree with your taste, which is why in fact I DO NOT.

Last edited by Tuco; 10/07/22 09:37 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
In a party you probably want a tank, healer, Charisma class, spell chucker, a theif,(locks traps)

This is so wrong. First of all, the "charisma class" role in DnD is called the Face and it can be rogue, cleric or whatever because you don't need to max charisma to be a good Face, even 14 is okay as long as you get proficiency in Persuade and maybe Deception. Also, 4 characters is actually an overkill, because you *need* a frontline, a controller, a support, a striker for combat and for social/exploration you need a skill monkey and a Face. Every class in DnD is capable of doing more than 1 job. For example cleric can be a support, a controller, a face and a frontline at the same time and the boring basic fighter can be at least a frontline and a striker.

old hand
old hand
I smell MMORPG...er, I mean...D&D 4e lingo!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
In a party you probably want a tank, healer, Charisma class, spell chucker, a theif,(locks traps)

This is so wrong. First of all, the "charisma class" role in DnD is called the Face and it can be rogue, cleric or whatever because you don't need to max charisma to be a good Face, even 14 is okay as long as you get proficiency in Persuade and maybe Deception. Also, 4 characters is actually an overkill, because you *need* a frontline, a controller, a support, a striker for combat and for social/exploration you need a skill monkey and a Face. Every class in DnD is capable of doing more than 1 job. For example cleric can be a support, a controller, a face and a frontline at the same time and the boring basic fighter can be at least a frontline and a striker.
The great thing about this game (and DnD with a good GM) is that you do not need any particular class or a traditional party setup. Anyone with Sleight of Hand can pick locks, potions are enough to heal if you play smart, melee is unnecessary with good tactics and control spells. Having someone with proficiency in at least one of the social skills does make life easier but is still not necessary. Play whatever party composition you want, even 4 of the same class.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox

First of all its called the face, 🤣
Ok mate, bg1 and 2 ( its predecessor) have 6 character slots, you ofc can play 1 character and multiclass or whatever you want ofc its not "needed" the full 6 party.
But this allows for you to have way more interactions,
And a more dynamic party, you can think the traditional
party settup its so wrong all you like but i personally like to play this way

veteran
veteran
Ah. We had this fight plenty on the Party of 6 Megathread with Alyssa. You can't win. She will fight tooth and nail against Party of 6.

Just like I'll fight tooth and nail FOR Party of 6.

Not that it matters. Larian doesn't listen to me anyway.

Plug for Party of 6 anyway! Remember. You can play 4 players. However, party of 4 multiplayer means 0 slots available for ANY companions to join you. Party of 6 means 2 slots available. That means you can actually play through companion quests in multiplayer 4 player. Party of 4? Nope. You are locked out entirely. You can NEVER help Lae'zel find her creche or Wyll find Mizora. NEVER. Best only play 3 player if you want to do those things.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Ah. We had this fight plenty on the Party of 6 Megathread with Alyssa. You can't win. She will fight tooth and nail against Party of 6.

Not that it matters. Larian doesn't listen to me anyway.

Plug for Party of 6 anyway! Remember. You can play 4 players. However, party of 4 multiplayer means 0 slots available for ANY companions to join you. Party of 6 means 2 slots available. That means you can actually play through companion quests in multiplayer 4 player. Party of 4? Nope. You are locked out entirely. You can NEVER help Lae'zel find her creche or Wyll find Mizora. NEVER. Best only play 3 player if you want to do those things.
Yeah i can tell what kind of person he is, when the first thing he says to me when starts a dialogue is by attacking my language, like it matters what words are use, as long as your point is clear.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

You can compromise at 5? lol.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Yeah i can tell what kind of person he is, when the first thing he says to me when starts a dialogue is by attacking my language, like it matters what words are use, as long as your point is clear.

[Linked Image from cdn.quotesgram.com]

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

You can compromise at 5? lol.

Or you can allow players a party of 6, and if they only want 4 or 5, they can simply send the extra to camp or kill them (as is the case for many players who hate Astarion).

enthusiast
enthusiast
To get back to a less divisive topic - character customization UI needs change severely now that there are more options. Packing them all into a single panel with a very anemic scrollbar makes for a miserable experience. Since the main game UI got revamped, I highly doubt they won't touch the CC one as well - perhaps once there are more options?

And speaking of options - guessing here, but it's in the realistic territory - I assume we're getting body tattoos (Gale's an example, Shadowheart is supposed to have one also), gith facial pattern options, and perhaps separate eye customization (Wyll) in the future at least. Less of a given are scars and the like, although there are NPCs that have them both on the face and the body. As for the bodies - correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be simply more practical and sensical to actually implement shape customization instead of sculpting a bunch of separate body types that would have to be there for every differently-built race so that it's fair? It seems like a more practical solution that would universally apply, although given how most of the existing stuff is picked from a list, it may not be where things are going in the end (given the existing approach to faces). That (picking from the list) brings us back to the UI issue, actually, because going through 66 hairstyles with a back&forth selector is kind of a UX torture.

addict
addict
We have gone a bit full circle here though and are back at chain system and 4 vs 6.
I do think a few things have gone wonky in Patch 8 and expect a Hotfix at some point, especially regarding the Long Rest and food issue.

I'll post the Chain stuff in the man thread.

Given this patch is about the Bard though... I must admit upfront, I don't usually play those types of support classes, as a result I am less likely to pick them in my party if I have limited spaces. There is plenty of crossover in 5th Ed, but having played a fair amount of the EA (though certainly less than many here), I would still claim that whilst I love 6 in the originals, 5 I think would be the sweet spot here for me in terms of party skill composition (I would equaly be happy with 6 being implemented, just saying a compromise of 5 would already make me happy). In a 4 man party, I am unlikely to take the Bard along with me (in Single Player), in a 5 that becomes more interesting and in a 6, yeah easy.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Brainer
To get back to a less divisive topic - character customization UI needs change severely now that there are more options. Packing them all into a single panel with a very anemic scrollbar makes for a miserable experience. Since the main game UI got revamped, I highly doubt they won't touch the CC one as well - perhaps once there are more options?

And speaking of options - guessing here, but it's in the realistic territory - I assume we're getting body tattoos (Gale's an example, Shadowheart is supposed to have one also), gith facial pattern options, and perhaps separate eye customization (Wyll) in the future at least. Less of a given are scars and the like, although there are NPCs that have them both on the face and the body. As for the bodies - correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be simply more practical and sensical to actually implement shape customization instead of sculpting a bunch of separate body types that would have to be there for every differently-built race so that it's fair? It seems like a more practical solution that would universally apply, although given how most of the existing stuff is picked from a list, it may not be where things are going in the end (given the existing approach to faces). That (picking from the list) brings us back to the UI issue, actually, because going through 66 hairstyles with a back&forth selector is kind of a UX torture.
Totally agree... the scroll bar and clicking through options is a right drag, even FIFA (bleurgh...) has a more user friendly interface for selecting the pre-defined styles (like hair for example).

In addition to more face and body types and UI improvements, I would personally also like more clothing choice. The default armours are dull.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard