Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
INVENTORY MANAGEMENT

Divinity Original Sin 2 and Baldur's Gate 3 are one of my favorite games of all time, but unfortunately the inventory management is the one thing that I wish would get some quality of life improvements. It's unintuitive and slow, but it could be so much better and user friendly.

DRAG & DROP ITEMS DIRECTLY INTO CONTAINERS

In Divinity Original Sin 2, you could drag & drop an item on top of a container to instantly place it inside that container (bags, pouches, barrels, backpacks...). This should be in Baldur's Gate 3 as it would make it easier to place things in containers, without having to open them and finding a place to put them in if the container is filled with a lot of things.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

TRANSFER AN ITEM INTO THE CURRENTLY OPENED CONTAINER

Currently everything in Baldur's Gate 3 needs to be dragged & dropped, which is bothersome when wanting to put something into a filled bag and having to scroll all the way down to the empty slots. It was the same in DOS2.

It would be so much better to simply open a container and use a combination of keys, such as [ALT] + [LEFT CLICK] to instantly transfer any wanted items into the currently opened container. The Keybinds menu could provide a keybinding for this so people could choose which modifier and mouse click they wish to use.

MULTI-SELECTION & MULTI-TRANSFER

Sometimes the vast variety of items we want to transfer or sell can be too much. It would make life so much easier to be able to select multiple items and then transfer them all with the above mentioned feature.

Currently the game has multi-marking through [SHIFT] + [LEFT CLICK] to add things to WARES, but it's unintuitive and works only for selling (and even then it oversells your wares). This could instead be changed into simple multi-selection that would work with both;

• [ALT] + [LEFT CLICK] to transfer all of the marked items into an opened container or vendor
  • [RIGHT CLICK] which drops down a menu to choose Add To Wares or Send To Camp or Send To Companion.

GAMEPLAY

CHARACTER MOVEMENT SHOULDN'T BE INTERRUPTED WHEN HOVERING OVER DESTRUCTIBLE OBJECTS

A big nuisance happens with characters stopping their movement whenever a mouse is hovered over a destructible object. It makes movement troublesome in most areas with such objects, especially the areas like the Druid's Grove (training dummies), Myconid village (mushrooms) and plenty of other areas with barrels, such as the Zhentarim Hideout.

Would be nice if the game would simply show an attack indicator, but not interrupt the player's movement.

VISIBLE SHIELDS

Although a visual thing, would be nice if there was a visibility button similar to Helmets, to choose whether the player wishes to see shields. They could be on the back or held in hand, but would be nice to see them.

TORCH SLOT

Playing as a Githyanki Barbarian without Dark Vision in Patch 7, the torch was my best friend in dark and spooky areas, but became quickly obsolete due to the "Light" weapon enchantment.

Compared to the "Light" weapon enchantment, the torch is vastly inferior as it needs to be equipped, replaces the main weapon and messes up the ability bar when equipping back the main weapon... while Light you simply cast and forget. The only advantage of torches are immersion in dark areas.

So it would be nice if torches were more of an exploration tool with their own slot next to the melee weapons rather than actually replacing the main weapon, to make them more intuitive to use... because currently they're a nuisance to equip and unequip all the time. Or there could be a TOOL slot into which we put a Torch or a Shovel.

FULLY RESTING AUTO-SELECT FOOD FROM THE TRAVELER'S CHEST

My food is always sent directly to the camp as I loot around the world, but unfortunately the player has to manually pick and choose and then carry the food in order to rest fully.

Would be a lot better if clicking the Auto-Select button would simply take the food directly from the traveler's chest, so the player doesn't have to manually pick and carry it in order to fully rest.

addict
addict
+100.

I'm all in favour of improvements to the UI, usability, playability and general quality of life.

Things such as "don't stop my party's movement just because the mouse hovered over an interactable object" are basic. Of course, this is not the only thing that's very wrong with the movement scheme ...

Things such as "auto-consume food from the chest" are super basic. The introduction of the food-for-rest mechanics has sadly meant the introduction of yet more tedious micro-management in BG3.

I really wish Larian would considering caring about these basic video game features.

veteran
veteran
All wonderfull ideas ...
+ one more thumb up for examples as pictures ... very nice!

Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
FULLY RESTING AUTO-FILL FOOD FROM THE TRAVELER'S CHEST
Except this one. :-/
I bet it would be REALLY covenient ... but im kinda affraid that with this one whole food limiting would completely loose any meaning. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
+1

All good ideas, and all well presented.

apprentice
apprentice
I'd like to see the option to change every companion's gear while in camp, not just those currently in your party. Swapping them is tiresome. Especially when you have to keep going through the whole conversation of them getting kicked out. Just let us change party members from separate system.

Balance is more than light and dark, more than sin and virtue.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by SolEquinox
Swapping [companions] is tiresome. Especially when you have to keep going through the whole conversation of them getting kicked out. Just let us change party members from separate system.

It would not only improve Quality-of-Life, it would also improve immersion.

Indeed, we would no longer have to ask our newly-met and very adventure-capable companions with a life-threatening tadpole-in-the-head condition to stay in camp (because uh ... this is a video game so there's a party size limit) and to simply trust us to find a cure for them.

old hand
old hand
The way opening multiple containers in BG3 is inferior to DOS2 somehow.

In DOS2, clicking on another container automatically closes the previous one, so you can cycle through them all quickly. This doesn’t happen in BG3 for some reason, so you have to close them all manually.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 09/07/22 06:39 PM.
addict
addict
+1 to all suggestions

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Removing tedium is good! Drag n drop, using container methods Larian is familiar with, Party Swap, and eliminating glitchy mouse overs are all specific and useful ideas.

The light slot? There is always the old ring of infra-vision.

G
addict
addict
G
+1

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
The way opening multiple containers in BG3 is inferior to DOS2 somehow.

In DOS2, clicking on another container automatically closes the previous one, so you can cycle through them all quickly. This doesn’t happen in BG3 for some reason, so you have to close them all manually.

Yeah, noticed that too. I'm sure this will be smoothed out throughout development and we will have at least the basics of what DOS2 had, but I really hope they improve inventory management this time around and make it more intuitive. I love looting everything, but sorting it out feels like a job laugh

veteran
veteran
You put words on things that really matter to me and that I never took time to write by myself ! (and you've done it way better than what I'd have done).

1 - full support for the inventory management suggestions. +1
2 - full support for the character movement interrupted and shield suggestions. +1
3 - I'm not bothered too much by the lack of torch slots because I alsmost never use any torches. But maybe I should. And maybe I could more easily with this great suggestion. +1
4 - I have other ideas for the long rest system as a whole and I never use the traveller chest. But obviously this would probably be a great QoL suggestion for other players. Let's say +0,5

It's always great to see new faces arround here with so many great suggestions ! Thanks for your time !

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/07/22 04:43 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
old hand
old hand
bag related suggestion:

When bag is on hotbar clicking it again when its open closes it

Last edited by fallenj; 11/07/22 07:05 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by fallenj
bag related suggestion:

When bag in on hotbar clicking it again when its open closes it
Yes, please.

Also, items in bags should show up when searched for with the search bar.

As to the OP, +1 million to the first 4 suggestions. Great visualizations, by the way!

The other three issues don’t bother me too much, but I won’t oppose them either.

Last edited by Flooter; 11/07/22 05:29 PM. Reason: Miscounted suggestions (also spelling)

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
journeyman
journeyman
All of these are good suggestions.

The only one that I would change is the torch. Really, each character should be allowed 3 weapon slots and you can just weapon swap. But, swapping/switching weapons (manually or between weapon slots) should take an Action, unless you have a feat that allows swapping between weapons as a Bonus Action.

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Visible shield +100000

I used to let everyone draw their weapon just because Shadowheart's shield would disappear if sheathed. I think the hotkey for that was <Tab>, but now it seems been remapped.

M
M
+1 great suggestions!

veteran
veteran
+1 - those are great ideas

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
+1 to everything and thank you as always for the time you take to present your points with examples and clear visuals smile

addict
addict
+1 for everything! All of those would improve the QoL so much!

TRANSFER AN ITEM INTO THE CURRENTLY OPENED CONTAINER
This one might be harder to implement since multiple container can be opened simultaneously.

TORCH SLOT
Not only adding a "TOOL slot" in the inventory but also in the hot bar then (to easily switch between melee weapon, range weapon or tool).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard