Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#821404 16/07/22 02:51 PM
OP Offline
Short rest needs revampimg - right now it's just a button to heal twice a day and replenish some spell slots. No immersion at all, just mechanical purpose.
Let me suggest how to implement short rest into the world of BG3.

Conditions:

I assume that BG3 engine can change lighting from day to night and in the middle(not dynamic lighting). I assume that Larian have resources to implement this(to make this discussion easier)

Mechanical aspect:

Why do we have 2 per day short rest restriction? It not only disbalances the classes, but also look like a mechanical instrument just to restrict players from resting more. For example, 2 per day restriction makes warlock much weaker class, because they have only 2 spell slots, which with the 2 short rests = 6 spell slots. Wizards have the same amount at level 3 and they have arcane recovery. So for the whole game you'll stick with 6 spell slots on warlock, while wizards and sorcerers will have much much more. And if you can spam long rests, what’s the point of choosing warlock then.

In dnd Warlocks are far more versatile and customisable than other spellcasters. They have invocations, their spellslots can be restored practically after every fight and so on. They feel a lot different from wizards or sorcs.

I suggest that we should have restrictions over short rests, but not a quantity-hard-lock. SR should cost camp supplies(as GM4Him suggested while ago) without quantity restrictions. It would tie LR and SR into one rest system(when you SR you also eat but less => adds immersion)

Visuals:

Now let's talk about visuals of new SR system. I suggest two options:

1) Witcher meditation style. So when you choose to SR time quickly passes by and lighting changes. So, for example, you need to SR 4(debatable) times from the morning to make it night time. And each time lightning changes. When it's night you can SR as much as you want without making it morning again, for that you need to LR. No cut-scene, just a little pause to change lighting
2) Almost the same as option 1 but with a short cut scene of you actually resting(taking a nap or eating)

add hexblade warlock, pls
veteran
veteran
I really dont buy the "more food management" thing AT ALL.
They could just remove short rest restriction or increase it to (lets say) 4 or 5 if short rest based class is the point.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Ok. What about this?

SR = reset special abilities and warlock spell slots, etc,. Lift the limit entirely. No 2/day. You can SR as much as you want.

But it doesn't heal. 😮

Now, go back to food heals, but it ONLY heals outside of combat. 1 Camping Supply = 1 HP healed.

Now, add to this Long Rest requires the same amount as SR, basically 1 Camping Supply per 1 HP, but it costs an additional 40 because of spell slots, etc.

veteran
veteran
Nah. Actually, this won't work. Lae'zel could spam short rest and use Second Wind to heal to full every time. She'd never eat.

I think the best solution and easiest for players is the one I came up with more recently for the Megathread about resting. Some sort of flat Camping Supply cost for SR would help deter spamming it, and Hit Dice for healing. It's actually simpler and less time consuming than eating a bunch of food manually to heal and managing all those food items.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=820599#Post820599

Last edited by GM4Him; 16/07/22 11:34 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Why not just have the player get more and moretadpole symptoms if they rest too much then full mindflayer

Last edited by Xzoviac; 16/07/22 11:51 PM.
OP Offline
Combined with visual aspect of this mechanic, it looks like pretty potent system

L
L
There's no reason to over-complicte imo, just let people short rest more, like maybe 4 times.

Whatever the system is those who want to abuse it to always get fully healed and full spell slots will do it. Meanwhile for those that won't 4 short rests will help put warlocks a bit more.

What they should do, however, is tie in some of the narrative stuff they have linked to long rests to short rests.

veteran
veteran
The point is that SR is just pointless right now. I mean, it's only value is quality of life. It's a super fast heal button. That's it. I mean, you get Action Surge reset, and others like it, but with no real hindrance or more substantial cost for LR, there's no real point in SRing. Just LR. You don't miss cutscenes as much that way, and you get full everything at a cost that is so minimal you could spam LR for weeks and still have food to spare.

I can spam LR 8 times just between the beach and Grove. 8.

So why SR?

L
L
SR is faster (like massively faster on my PC) and makes sense from a narrative RP perspective.

"That fight was tough, I'm buggered, let's take a short rest. Ok good to go."

"Ok time for another rest, let's take 5."

"I'm stuffed again but I don't think another short rest will make much difference, let's push on or make a camp for the day."

For me this makes sense as it is. The only issue is does it limit some classes because of 5e assumptions. So in that case I would just suggest allowing another SR or two.

With the amount of difficult fights in the game at the moment I get through most of what is currently in EA without really needing to long rest more than a couple of times. More short rests wouldn't change that really.

Last edited by lamaros; 17/07/22 01:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
No doubt it's faster. That's it's only real advantage. And narrative wise, you're right. I fought FOREVER to try to get some real narrative consequences if you LR too much, but SO much pushback on that. It was more pushback than my suggestion to manage SR via Hit Dice like Solasta. It's quick, simple, and works well. And, with Hit Dice, you can switch companions out and keep going. SH has no more Hit Dice? That's okay, switch in Gale. Keep going. Same day. But that only works if SR Healing isn't tied to the whole party. It would need to be tied to the character, not 2 per day for the party as a whole.

My suggestion provides meaning to multiple mechanics: Survival skill, druids, rangers and clerics (certain class spells they have that would help with food), it discourages LR and encourages SR, it makes it so you can switch out party members to keep going same day, cuts down on useless food item management...

There's a lot that it would add to the game to make it more interesting and meaningful. Right now, why do you need Survival skill, SR, all those food items, etc.? They have no real value in the game presently.

L
L
If they removed food from the game entirely it would be no loss to me. I have never liked the MMOification of RPGs with inventory bloat items like that - but I acknowledge that I am a minority here and my views might not make a better game for the general audience.

veteran
veteran
How is having food MMOing an RPG? I mean, inventory bloat. Yes. But honestly it's no more of a bloat than Pathfinder and all its recipes.

Besides, my suggestion on the Megathread would remove inventory bloat due to converting food items directly into Camping Supplies so they don't take up room on your inventory. Just pick up a cheese wheel and your PC with the highest Survival skill automatically rolls to see how much Camping Supplies you get from said cheese. Then it auto tallies to your total. Done. No shifting it around. No send to camp. No selling.

Then, when you rest, you spend Camping Supplies each time. SR is way cheaper than LR, making it well worth using as opposed to spamming the more expensive LR.

OP Offline
I want to have it here as well for people to see. It's very well thought system in my opinion

Originally Posted by GM4Him
OK. I've been trying really hard to create a mechanic that is simple and yet provides value for both long and short rest, Survival skill, etc. This mechanic also encourages short rest and discourages long rest. I developed this idea while attempting to write up my BG3 Unofficial EA D&D Tabletop Campaign: Chapter 1. Please understand, it is a long explanation because I needed to actually explain all the details for it. However, the actual implementation of it (what the player in the video game would experience) would not be so complicated (well, at least, I don't think so). So, as you read this, consider what the player would actually experience. (Also, I would probably not count NPCs and animal companions towards Camping Supplies costs in the video game as I did in the Tabletop, if they were to adapt this concept for the video game. I'd probably just include the primary party members).

What the player would experience: Party picks up food item. Food item is instantly converted to Camping Supplies and applied to the party's total Camping Supplies Score. No item management. No inventory clutter. No send to camp. The items vanish because they were converted to the Camping Supplies Score total. Player checks the log (if they want) and sees that the character with the highest Survival skill automatically rolled with advantage (assuming the character was assisted). The roll determined how many Camping Supplies were converted from the item into the party total based on the food item found. (Details on how this works are below.)

Party takes a short rest and spends 5 camping supplies per character in the adventuring party (so most often it will be 20 camping supplies because you'll probably be traveling with a party of 4). Player clicks a button to initiate the short rest. A menu pops up. All the characters are, let's say, level 4. There are 4 Hit Dice under each character's portrait. Click on a dice and it rolls to see how much HP is restored to that character (just like 5e rules and just like Solasta). Instant dice rolls, mind you, and instantly applied. No dramatic animations needed here. Fast clicks - 1... 2... 3... 4. You can use as many Hit Dice as you want, but once they're gone, you have none for later until you long rest (again, just like 5e; you get half your Hit Dice back when you long rest). Quick and simple. Warlock spell slots restored, as are certain class special abilities, and the Wizard can ONLY use Arcane Recovery from this window. It will no longer be some sort of skill on the hotbar that he/she can use whenever. However, it's just a few fast button clicks. Click Arcane Recovery, choose which spell slot level you want to restore (again, Solasta did this well, so something similar). Close menu. All party members are cleaned up - no filth or grime. They rested and mended wounds, cleaned themselves, etc.

As for long rest, the player clicks the long rest button. Party goes to camp. Party pays 20 camping supplies per character at camp (companion characters only. Again, this is different from the Tabletop details I've listed below). So MCs and origin characters - not Halsin, Withers, Volo... If you can't afford that, partial rest for 10 camping supplies per character at camp. Partial rest means full spell slots restored and special abilities, but not necessarily full HP and NO Hit Dice restored. This is the true drawback of a partial long rest. Basically, it simulates that the party didn't rest as well as normal and weren't as well nourished/refreshed. So, full rest for MC and 5 origin character would be 120 camping supplies. partial rest would be 60 camping supplies.

To add to the strategy of this, add Purify Food and Drink to maximize on the amount of camping supplies you get per food item. Also, casting Goodberry makes it so that as long as each character eats a berry, they don't contribute to the camping supply costs during rests. This could be managed via a tag called "Nourished" or something like that. This makes Goodberry a VERY useful spell in the game, but it comes at the price of having to spend a spell slot every day so you don't have to worry about camping supplies. You'd also need a ranger or druid to utilize this, adding value to those classes. Create Food and Water would act similarly for artificers, clerics and paladins, making it so you don't have to worry about camping supplies for anyone (everyone would get the "Nourished" tag), but again you're forced to expend a level 3 spell slot. Either way, it's just another way to strategically manage resting resources and add value to various mechanics.

To add to this, vendors will supply rations (getting rid of Camping Supply Packs - or whatever - call them Camping Supply Packs if you want). 1 Ration = enough camping supplies for 1 character to basically long rest once and short rest 2 times (30 camping supplies). Again, converted instantly upon purchase so not taking up room in your inventory. However, rations at the vendor are limited, so you can't just buy up all their stock and expect to be perfectly fine.

And finally, if none of this provides you with enough camping supplies and you really need to long rest, every time you do long rest, the character with the highest Survival makes a Survival check to hunt/gather (roll with advantage assuming someone is helping them). The higher they roll, the more camping supplies they gather to help meet the cost for a long rest. Guess it pays to have a character in the party with good Survival skill.

Now, for the details (if you care):

Camping Supplies (Optional Mechanic)
Time to introduce the BG3 Tabletop Resting Mechanic. The PCs are in the middle of a wilderness that doesn’t necessarily have a plethora of food, nor do they have vendors to buy rations from (at least for now). Water is plentiful enough, but food is not. Therefore, food is a much more precious commodity in this campaign. It will be tracked via a Camping Supplies Score. One player can track it, or the DM can.

This mechanic is based on the Create Food and Water spell. With that spell, “you create 45 pounds of food and 30 gallons of water on the ground or in containers within range, enough to sustain up to 15 humanoids or 5 steeds for 24 hours. The food is bland but nourishing, and spoils if uneaten after 24 hours. The water is clean and doesn’t go bad.”

With this in mind, it can then be determined that a single humanoid will consume roughly 3 pounds of food and 2 gallons of water a day. Again, water does not spoil, and it can easily be refilled as long as the PCs have canteens (which is why canteens have now been provided).

So, to simplify, 1 pound of food is 10 Camping Supplies. This means that it is assumed that a character will consume approximately 30 Camping Supplies worth of food per day split between both long and short rests.

This being the case, if we assume the party will take an average of 2 short rests per day, and they can only long rest once a day, the amount of camping supplies required per rest is as follows:

Short Rest = 5 Camping Supplies per character in the party per Short Rest (NPCs and nonmagical animal companions included). This is ONLY those characters in the party when the short rest occurs. In other words, any characters left at camp do not cost the party anything. It is assumed they have enough time to take care of their own food needs.

Long Rest = 20 Camping Supplies per character at the party’s camp per Long Rest (NPCs and nonmagical animal companions included). This means EVERYONE at camp adds to the cost. Hey! Everyone’s gotta eat. Perhaps there is such a thing as having too many companions!

The idea is: if the party short rests 2 times per day, they would use 10 Camping Supplies/ 1 pound of food per character on short rests, and then 20 Camping Supplies/2 pounds of food per character on long rests. This is roughly 3 pounds of food per day per character. If you have a party of 4 and you have just added Shadowheart to the party, each short rest would then cost 25 Camping Supplies. If you long rest with the same party, that would cost 100 Camping Supplies.

Each food item will have a Survival DC and a Max Value in Camping Supplies. As soon as the PCs find a food item, the player with the highest Survival skill will roll against the DC of the food item. Another party member can help and provide advantage to the roll. If the PC succeeds, the party gains 5 Camping Supplies per point of success (minimum 5 or Max Value) up to the Max Value. Basically, the Max Value represents that a character is able to use/preserve every last bit of food from the item that they find. They don’t let any go to waste. However, if they fail entirely, it means that while they were attempting to preserve or prepare the food, they actually ruined it (burnt it, didn’t cook it right, added something bad to it, etc. Essentially, it is inedible once it is time to eat it.

Note: It is assumed that cooking, consuming and preserving food is done during periods of resting; long or short. However, to simplify things so players aren’t tracking all sorts of different food items and values, it is easier to have them convert it immediately into Camping Supplies. That way the game isn’t getting bogged down with meaningless item management. Once converted into Camping Supplies, the food doesn’t spoil. It is assumed the PCs are always consuming the food that will spoil soonest while continuing to preserve the food that lasts longer.

Let’s put the concept into practice. The PCs just found a Bucket of Fish. Have the PC with the highest Survival skill roll immediately with advantage (assuming at least one of the other party members will help them). If they roll a 1-9, the entire Bucket of Fish is ruined. It is wasted, burnt, inedible, etc. If they roll a 10 or 11, they only get 5 Camping Supplies from the entire bucket. It is mostly inedible by the time they are done with it. 12=10 Camping Supplies, 13=15, 14=20, 15=25, 16=30, 17=35, 18=40, 19=45, 20=50, 21=55, and 22 or more is full value of 60.

Let’s provide one more example just to be clear. The PCs find a carrot with a Max Value of 1 Camping Supplies and a DC of 5. If they somehow roll a 1-4, they don’t even get the 1 Camping Supplies for the carrot. It’s totally wasted, ruined, etc. If they roll a 5 or higher, they succeed in getting the full value of 1. They don’t get 5 Camping Supplies because the Max Value is only 1.

Now, add to this the Purify Food and Drink spell. To make this simple, if the PCs cast this spell on the first food item they find, go ahead and apply it to all food they find that day. This assumes that they reserved the spell slot and used it at the end of the day after they’d gathered all food. If they use Purify Food and Drink, it can be used to prevent all nonmagical food from being spoiled. In other words, any character who uses this spell once per day can preserve all Camping Supplies found that day (again, assuming that they waited to use the spell until the end of the day). Nothing is wasted or lost.

Example: If one of the party members wants to use their spell slot to cast Purify Food and Drink on the 1 Bucket of Fish, the party will gain 60 Camping Supplies automatically. No Survival check is necessary. Any other food they find that day will also provide the party with the full Camping Supplies value without any Survival check needing to be made.

Goodberry negates the Camping Supplies requirement for that day for each person who eats a Goodberry. So, if you cast the spell, you have 10 berries. If you have 6 party members, and each member eats a berry, you won’t need any Camping Supplies that day to either short or long rest. Period. No food required. Do this every day and you completely negate the food mechanic. PCs don’t even need to collect food.

The price of doing this, however, is that the party member has to waste a spell slot to cast Goodberry every day (plus you have to have a druid or ranger in the party to take advantage of this). With food being typically available in enough of an abundance that characters shouldn’t need to use this spell if they aren’t long resting like crazy, why waste a spell slot that could be used for combat?

Another spell that can be used to negate the need for Camping Supplies is Create Food and Water. This is a level 3 artificer, cleric or paladin spell. Casting it will supply the needs of up to 15 party members (including NPCs and nonmagical animal companions.) Keep in mind that both it and Goodberry are magical food spells, so excess food is wasted. It is NOT added to your Camping Supplies Score. Therefore, the spells only negate the need for Camping Supplies for party members for just that day. Unlike Purify Food and Drink, Create Food and Water can be cast at the end of the day just before long resting. You don’t have to cast it as soon as you find food items. In this way, this spell can be considered more of a failsafe in case food supplies begin to run out and the party is desperately needing a long rest.

To make sure the party is able to find and gather enough food to rest when needed, Survival checks can be made once per day when the party decides to finally take a long rest. (These checks are not available during short rests. Short rests do not allow enough time for party members to wander off and fish, hunt and gather food. They are only roughly one hour while long rests are usually more than eight hours long.) To hunt/gather, have the PC with the highest Survival skill roll against a DC of 10. For every point of success, they gather 5 Camping Supplies that day (minimum of 5 for a success). So, if the PC rolls 1-9, they gather no Camping Supplies. If they roll a 10-11, they collect 5 Camping Supplies. 12=10, 13=15, 14=20, 15=25, 16=30, 17=35, 18=40, 19=45, 20=50, 21=55, 22=60, 23=65, 24=70, 25=75, etc. Just another way having a good survivalist in the party can pay off.

Finally, if all else fails, there will be vendors eventually. These vendors don’t have a lot of food supplies, but if the party really needs it, you can have a vendor sell rations. Each ration is worth 30 Camping Supplies. These should be sold VERY sparingly. The point is to discourage long resting. The last thing you want is for players to buy up tons of rations so they never have to worry about it and can long rest between every battle.

And, just to REALLY make sure the PCs aren’t messed over by this Camping Supplies Mechanic, the party can take a partial long rest if they have at least half as many Camping Supplies as they need for a full long rest. In other words, if the party has 5 characters at camp, they would normally need 100 Camping Supplies to do a full long rest. However, they only have 50. They can do a partial long rest. The benefit is that they regain all spell slots and abilities at a much more reduced price. What makes it not as good as a full long rest is that they do not necessarily regain all of their HP. They also don’t regain their Hit Dice back.

To determine how many HP each character is healed via a partial long rest, roll all their Hit Dice as if they were using them on a single short rest. Whatever they roll, plus their Constitution bonus (applied to each die) is how many HP they are healed.

Example: Shadowheart has a max of 15 HP at level 2. She has 2d8 Hit Dice. She has 3 spell slots. During the day, she uses 1d8 Hit Dice during a short rest and all of her spell slots. She’s down to 5 HP. The party long rests, but they only have 50 Camping Supplies, and they need 100 for 4 players and Shadowheart. Shadowheart regains all 3 of her spell slots, but she does not get her 1d8 Hit Dice back. The next day, she will only have 1d8 Hit Dice to spend during short rests. That’s it. As for HP, she gains 2d8+2 (+1 is her Constitution bonus applied to each die) for taking a partial long rest. She rolls a 1 and a 3. So, her total HP restored is 6. She starts the next day with only 11 HP. It’s certainly not ideal, but it’s better than nothing, and a single healing potion could restore her the rest of the way. The biggest drawback is that she only has 1d8 Hit Dice that day for short rests.

Last edited by mercurial_ann; 17/07/22 12:43 PM.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mercurial_ann
I want to have it here as well for people to see. It's very well thought system in my opinion

Originally Posted by GM4Him
OK. I've been trying really hard to create a mechanic that is simple and yet provides value for both long and short rest, Survival skill, etc. This mechanic also encourages short rest and discourages long rest. I developed this idea while attempting to write up my BG3 Unofficial EA D&D Tabletop Campaign: Chapter 1. Please understand, it is a long explanation because I needed to actually explain all the details for it. However, the actual implementation of it (what the player in the video game would experience) would not be so complicated (well, at least, I don't think so). So, as you read this, consider what the player would actually experience. (Also, I would probably not count NPCs and animal companions towards Camping Supplies costs in the video game as I did in the Tabletop, if they were to adapt this concept for the video game. I'd probably just include the primary party members).

What the player would experience: Party picks up food item. Food item is instantly converted to Camping Supplies and applied to the party's total Camping Supplies Score. No item management. No inventory clutter. No send to camp. The items vanish because they were converted to the Camping Supplies Score total. Player checks the log (if they want) and sees that the character with the highest Survival skill automatically rolled with advantage (assuming the character was assisted). The roll determined how many Camping Supplies were converted from the item into the party total based on the food item found. (Details on how this works are below.)

Party takes a short rest and spends 5 camping supplies per character in the adventuring party (so most often it will be 20 camping supplies because you'll probably be traveling with a party of 4). Player clicks a button to initiate the short rest. A menu pops up. All the characters are, let's say, level 4. There are 4 Hit Dice under each character's portrait. Click on a dice and it rolls to see how much HP is restored to that character (just like 5e rules and just like Solasta). Instant dice rolls, mind you, and instantly applied. No dramatic animations needed here. Fast clicks - 1... 2... 3... 4. You can use as many Hit Dice as you want, but once they're gone, you have none for later until you long rest (again, just like 5e; you get half your Hit Dice back when you long rest). Quick and simple. Warlock spell slots restored, as are certain class special abilities, and the Wizard can ONLY use Arcane Recovery from this window. It will no longer be some sort of skill on the hotbar that he/she can use whenever. However, it's just a few fast button clicks. Click Arcane Recovery, choose which spell slot level you want to restore (again, Solasta did this well, so something similar). Close menu. All party members are cleaned up - no filth or grime. They rested and mended wounds, cleaned themselves, etc.

As for long rest, the player clicks the long rest button. Party goes to camp. Party pays 20 camping supplies per character at camp (companion characters only. Again, this is different from the Tabletop details I've listed below). So MCs and origin characters - not Halsin, Withers, Volo... If you can't afford that, partial rest for 10 camping supplies per character at camp. Partial rest means full spell slots restored and special abilities, but not necessarily full HP and NO Hit Dice restored. This is the true drawback of a partial long rest. Basically, it simulates that the party didn't rest as well as normal and weren't as well nourished/refreshed. So, full rest for MC and 5 origin character would be 120 camping supplies. partial rest would be 60 camping supplies.

To add to the strategy of this, add Purify Food and Drink to maximize on the amount of camping supplies you get per food item. Also, casting Goodberry makes it so that as long as each character eats a berry, they don't contribute to the camping supply costs during rests. This could be managed via a tag called "Nourished" or something like that. This makes Goodberry a VERY useful spell in the game, but it comes at the price of having to spend a spell slot every day so you don't have to worry about camping supplies. You'd also need a ranger or druid to utilize this, adding value to those classes. Create Food and Water would act similarly for artificers, clerics and paladins, making it so you don't have to worry about camping supplies for anyone (everyone would get the "Nourished" tag), but again you're forced to expend a level 3 spell slot. Either way, it's just another way to strategically manage resting resources and add value to various mechanics.

To add to this, vendors will supply rations (getting rid of Camping Supply Packs - or whatever - call them Camping Supply Packs if you want). 1 Ration = enough camping supplies for 1 character to basically long rest once and short rest 2 times (30 camping supplies). Again, converted instantly upon purchase so not taking up room in your inventory. However, rations at the vendor are limited, so you can't just buy up all their stock and expect to be perfectly fine.

And finally, if none of this provides you with enough camping supplies and you really need to long rest, every time you do long rest, the character with the highest Survival makes a Survival check to hunt/gather (roll with advantage assuming someone is helping them). The higher they roll, the more camping supplies they gather to help meet the cost for a long rest. Guess it pays to have a character in the party with good Survival skill.

That's a rather interesting system, I really like it. It's definitely preferable to what we have now in my opinion.

veteran
veteran
That's just the short version. Lol. The details are in the Megathread if you expand the spoiler.

The idea is based on the Create Food and Water spell. 45 pounds of food feeds 15 people for 1 day. So, 3 pounds = 1 person per day. Translate that to 10 Camping Supplies per pound, 10 on average for Short rests, so 5 per SR, and 20 per LR.

Add Survival skill to it and spells and viola. That's where I got the idea.

OP Offline
Sorry, didn't notice the spoiler, I'll edit that in
Short version is cool anyway

veteran
veteran
Glad someone likes it. I'm used to people pushing back, not liking my ideas.

I really like that you, the player, wouldn't have to micromanage food items. Most of what I'm suggesting would be done automatically for you.

Last edited by GM4Him; 17/07/22 01:40 PM.
veteran
veteran
I like a variant on GM4Him's suggestions.

1. Short rests use a small amount of camping supplies. Probably three short rests use slightly less than one long rest. Four short rests use more total supplies than one long rest.
2. A revamped Short Rest interface, similar to Solasta's.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3. Short rests are unlimited, or at the very least the limit is increased to three. Perhaps, if spamming shot rests is a concern, every short rest after 5 could significantly increase the amount of supplies consumed per rest.
4. Healing in short rests comes from spending hit dice, players can choose how many.
5. Some "long rest" cutscenes get reclassified to be "any rest" cutscenes, and those can play out when taking a short rest - temporarily teleporting the party to the camp for the length of that scene. If there is no available cutscene there's no teleport.

Last edited by Stabbey; 17/07/22 01:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
That's pretty much what I'm suggesting with a few more tweaks, like Survival skill and spells.

5 camp supplies = SR per character while 20 = LR per character. So 4 SR = 1 LR. Hit Dice manages SR Healing. And teleport to camp every SR. It literally takes like 5 seconds at most to transition to camp when you fast travel. Dialogues could then be easily done during either.

But thanks for the image. It shows exactly how easy Hit Dice could be for SR. Click. Instant value applied to HP. Dice is grayed out. Quick. Easy.

OP Offline
Let's hope they watch this dicussions. It kinda bugs me that in the latest PFH they said that almost everything is almost ready and just needs polishing, while i don't think that combat and resting are anywhere near ready

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard