Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
As for Rag's question, this interview mentions Waterdeep, Neverwinter and Revel's End. All places far north from BG. Sure, we don't know the movie plot or the full plot of BG3 but based on the info we have right now...I doubt even more there will be any references between the two.
They were also quite a lot talking about the Underdark.

And thank you, its so good so see anybody actualy read the question. laugh
And not just go full "lets complain about a movie we didnt even seen yet". laugh
I agree that the movie won't have references or connections to BG3, and I for one am happy with that. For me, if anything, it's BG3 that ought to be looking at how the Forgotten Realms is portrayed in the movie for its own inspiration.

veteran
veteran
And thank you, its so good so see anybody actualy read the question. laugh
Hey, i read the question too.
I didn't answer because I didn't think it made any sense.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
G
stranger
stranger
G
I never watch movies...just not my thing.

Trailer here:

Do you expect some relation, or at least easter eggs tied to BG-3?

Is that… Michelle Rodriguez as an axe-wielding barbarian? I’m so here for it laugh

It would be nice if they mentioned maybe the city of Baldur’s Gate, but I’m not banking on it much. Looks fun though, better than the old DnD movie.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
enthusiast
enthusiast
Sorry everyone, but this film will be your typical MCU comedy action formula with a D&D skin. I'm not impressed or that excited for it. I HOPE I'm proven wrong.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by MarcoNeves
Sorry everyone, but this film will be your typical MCU comedy action formula with a D&D skin. I'm not impressed or that excited for it. I HOPE I'm proven wrong.

Crappy Marvelesque humor...

Do you know what is truly unfortunate? There are any number of established D&D settings ripe with material ready to be adapted into a solid primarily serious D&D film...and they went with an attempt based on contemporary perceptions/trends/memes of the hobby that is going to age poorly.

Originally Posted by MarcoNeves

Of course it will be. That's the current success formula that everyone tries to copy, as public eats it up and brings Marvel/Disney billions on a silver platter. DC sadly did not show a steady stream of success, proving the point that mindless fun movies sell better.
So why even get upset. We'll all watch it anyways in hopes of getting some DnD content, and supporting this vicious cycle. Might as well try to enjoy it.

"There are three things that are strength incarnate: there is love of life, there is fear of death, and there is family. A family that loves death would have a strong pull indeed." - Tamoko
P
addict
addict
P
Probably because we haven't had any sourcebooks for those settings for more than 10 years. Hell, we haven't even covered the entire Forgotten Realms with the modern sourcebooks. We've had them mentioned in the PHB, but no actual detail. They're into franchise crossovers now, Ravnica, Theros, and Strixhaven, and the 6 planeshift worlds are all from Magic: the Gathering. I posted up the Dragon Lance UA in a D&D group when they came out and only the oldest people there even knew that this was a D&D setting. I don't expect anyone who only started playing D&D in the last decade to know what Greyhawk, Dragonlance, or Dark Sun are. The Ravenloft book detailing the domains of dread was only released last year, and it's not very popular, except with people who already knew the liked the setting.

There's also licensing issues. Wizards don't automatically have the creative rights (let alone film rights) to every setting they've ever published. We might have had sourcebooks for those settings sooner if not for the massive legal negotiations regarding ownership and licensing of specific settings that has been going on for many years now. The fact that we are actually getting a Dragonlance adventure at the end of this year means Wizards must have settled with Weiss and Hickman on that matter.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Originally Posted by Van'tal
So Captain Kirk is a Bard?

He is such a one dimensional actor. Unlike Spock (his Spock) who brings something new to the table each time.

Or Rebecca Romijn (speaking of Star Trek). She honestly becomes her part so well, I'm like who's that?

Well...what do you expect with a babyface like that? He's stuck to the pretty boy trope. Could you honestly imagine him being harsh, traumatic, cunning or evil? Nope. Serious character sure, but always with a nice smile for the camera and a quirky joke. So bard it is!

Not at all, but I couldn't imagine Heath Ledger pulling of the disturbing genius that was The Joker either. Another case of "your kidding right, that was him?".

Last edited by Van'tal; 23/07/22 03:00 AM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
They could have gone Lord of the Rings, but chose to go Bill and Ted's D&D adventure.

P
addict
addict
P
Going to be honest with you, I love both both Lord of the Rings and Bill and Ted for very different reasons.

I don't think the industry today could pull off Lord of the Rings, we won't see something like that again from mainstream film. WB just about killed the Hobbit films with their nonsense, and they DID kill poor Peter Jackson's desire to make movies, and the local New Zealand film industry (they are still suffering from decisions made during the filming of those movies).

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Hey, i read the question too.
That really warms my heart. ^_^
Originally Posted by Tuco
I didn't answer because I didn't think it made any sense.
Aaaand we are back in normal. laugh

Originally Posted by Arideya
better than the old DnD movie.
Im affraid it would be impossible to create something looking worse than old DnD movie. laugh

Especialy since their requisites looked like something you would buy in toy store for 5€ ...
Wich basicaly means that those plastic weapons we were buying for 5€ were actualy exact replicas ... hmm, kinda cool. laugh

Originally Posted by Arideya
DC sadly did not show a steady stream of success, proving the point that mindless fun movies sell better.
This is not true ...
It dont "sell better" its just easier to meet people expectations ... or to make such movie, if you preffer that wording.

Problem DC is facing is that they desprately want to make some dark and serious movie ... but also not too dark and too serious to make it really work ...
So they are splashing somewhere close to the shore, instead of go swimming properly, or screw it and crawl back to the land. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
laugh

Ah...the inveterate reflexive contrarian.

laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh smile laugh grin wink laugh

I take it you are still permanently on legal retainer for Mr. Scratch?

veteran
veteran
Keep it on topic of the trailer please, Tuco, Ragnarok and Ragitsu.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
If i may, the point of topic was not the trailer itself ... but potential links to this game. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Dunno about links/references to BG3 but I am interested to see how they interpret the underdark..... Probably my favourite location in the game so far. Will there be Myconids? Duergar? Slightly off topic.... I get a Star Trek 2009 vibe from the dialogue which is not what I'd hoped for. Prefer the Witcher (TV series) style of delivery and scripting. Its more "natural" than that quippy, snappy, punication (I made that up) that Star Trek and current Marvel media is full of.

veteran
veteran
If i may, the point of topic was not the trailer itself ... but potential links to this game. :-/

Doesn't matter what the topic actually is or isn't, the following part is relevant to approximately nothing and if this was football, I afford you a yellow card. Don't get another one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

(To remove any sort of unclarity: Meaningless back and forth snark is just annoying for everyone else that just want to talk about <insert topic>. I know you two don't like each other. Get a room, don't force it on everyone else. So stop it.)

Last edited by The Composer; 23/07/22 11:02 AM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Piff
Going to be honest with you, I love both both Lord of the Rings and Bill and Ted for very different reasons.

I don't think the industry today could pull off Lord of the Rings, we won't see something like that again from mainstream film. WB just about killed the Hobbit films with their nonsense, and they DID kill poor Peter Jackson's desire to make movies, and the local New Zealand film industry (they are still suffering from decisions made during the filming of those movies).

True Bill and Ted will live on beyond this movie, but is the same genre...zany comedy

Lord of the Rings took itself very seriously (with comedy too)...far end of the spectrum in the other direction....and everyone knew Tolkien (which made it work).

This is certainly a safe zone, given past D&D film success. Feels like they are testing the market again. Probably too much to hope for a more serious minded dramatization in the future.

It would be awesome to see a Baldur's Gate TV series (from the Beginning). I would use body actors to totally lip sink with the original voice actors. (at least with distinct voices like Minsk).

Planescape would also be great, and would be best viewed without prior knowledge. That was part of its mechanic: To keep you guessing, and pull you down the rabbit hole.

Prediction: Fun film, albeit forgettable...get your popcorn and just enjoy it.

Last edited by Van'tal; 23/07/22 01:53 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Piff
Same here. Don't see why I should have to choose between the two.

And for D&D as a game franchise, Bill and Ted's is actually the more accurate representation. In all my many years playing D&D across three editions (having skipped 4e), I never ever played a TT D&D game that did not involve mayhem, hijinks, and copious amounts of uproarious laughter.

old hand
old hand
This mischaracterization of Dungeons & Dragons as comedy is utterly perplexing.

Each edition of D&D has included a degree of humor in their respective rulebooks and there are humorous references in quite a few officially published modules/adventures...but those are a far cry from "D&D is a comedic game." (implying that it is primarily comedic in tone). Play a funny campaign if you wish - by all means - but please refrain from the perpetuation of this incorrect portrayal.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard