Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I don't ever want to see level 13 city guards or other nonsense like that.

Almost certain to appear based on Larian's MO.

7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I definitely don't want a hard cap to exp gain, where I gain zero XP from additional monsters/quests. That would feel like I've been punished for fully exploring the world. If I had to choose, I'd want a soft cap where exp gain is decreased. Combined with the fact that it takes more and more exp to level up in 5e (3800 for level 4->5, 7500 for level 5->6, 9000 for level 6->7, 11000 for level 7->8) this should be sufficient to keep completionists at a reasonable level.

E.g., For every 500 exp you are above the "Act-Expected Max Level" you gain 10% less exp (multiplicative) from monsters.
- 500 exp over? 90% exp gain
- 1000 exp over? 81% exp gain
- 2000 exp over? 66% exp gain
- 4000 exp over? 43% exp gain
- 8000 exp over? 18% exp gain
etc. You never gain 0 exp from monsters/quests, and it takes going *way* over the soft cap before it really becomes noticeable. If Act 1 was "capped" at level 5, completionists in might be able to reach level 6, but effectively it'd take ~2x as much exp. And like 20x as much exp to reach level 7, if even there was that much exp available.

I don't think that exp should be capped before a zone/act's max level. If you go and do a bunch of stuff before facing Gut such that you're level 5, then that means you probably had a harder time doing that stuff and so you're rewarded for that earlier effort with an easier fight. The important thing is that we don't have runaway exp gain, where a player remains overleveled for the rest of the game.

I don't mind diminished returns but I don't think completionists would complain for the lack of XP: my personal experience as a completionist is that you are doing it for the story and that the inspiration and items are enough as reward.

Second remember we would have a level cap anyway. Probably 10-14 (>14 anyway is a bit boring imo). The cap per area is mostly pacing the completionist toward that. Again the rushers are always fine as the game auto-adapt.

I agree on your last point: overleveling content is simply not fun.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Going from 1 to 18-20 over a single campaign that will probably last 6-8 weeks Faerun time? Most adventurers don't reach level 15+ over an entire lifetime.

I think 1-11 is already stretching it. I would save 12-20 for a possible BG4.

I will always prefer solid logic in the game world over a player's need to get to max level and basically just get everything. High level characters need to remain rare and high level PCs also require very specific content. When they get powerful enough to threaten entire kingdoms and such. I don't ever want to see level 13 city guards or other nonsense like that.

Your not an average adventure. Your a MC that already starts as an experienced adventurer. If you where some average joe you would not been targeted as we do, and 100% not been implanted with a super powerful and unique tadpol. Your so powerful that even a powerful cambion, wizard, and vampire that’s been around for eons pursuit you.

If we look at the characters in game, and we know larian are likely just going to copy DOs2 character tropes / story

Asterion= Fane
Shadow heart= red prince
Gale = Lohse
Wyll= Sebllie
Laze= beast

Hence I would make an educated guess, that we therefore level faster then most because we already where around lvl 10. S you hit lvl 10 by end of Arc 1. And arc 2-4 would take us to lvl 14-20.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by AusarViled
Going from 1 to 18-20 over a single campaign that will probably last 6-8 weeks Faerun time? Most adventurers don't reach level 15+ over an entire lifetime.

I will always prefer solid logic in the game world over a player's need to get to max level and basically just get everything. High level characters need to remain rare and high level PCs also require very specific content. When they get powerful enough to threaten entire kingdoms and such. I don't ever want to see level 13 city guards or other nonsense like that.

Your not an average adventure. Your a MC that already starts as an experienced adventurer. If you where some average joe you would not been targeted as we do, and 100% not been implanted with a super powerful and unique tadpol. Your so powerful that even a powerful cambion, wizard, and vampire that’s been around for eons pursuit you.

If we look at the characters in game, and we know larian are likely just going to copy DOs2 character tropes / story

Asterion= Fane
Shadow heart= red prince
Gale = Lohse
Wyll= Sebllie
Laze= beast

Hence I would make an educated guess, that we therefore level faster then most because we already were around lvl 10. S you hit lvl 10 by end of Arc 1. And arc 2-4 would take us to lvl 14-20.
Nah, 2 years ago on EA release someone leaked lv 10 or 12 max level. As a response to this leak Sven ( Larian's CEO ) mentioned it will be a bit higher most likely.Not a lot. But a bit.
Most powerful spells most likely won't appear in the game in a different way than scrolls.

It's an interview from 2 years ago so I'm quoting +/- what he said.

One thing I'm 100% convinced about: You won't see lv 20 in this game in a different way than through mods. Just straight up forget about those high-end levels appearing on release.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Also agree that we probably won't hit level 20. Maybe high teens depending on how it flows within the game.

Side note, If I was going to match-up the companions from DOS2 to BG3, I'd go with this (from the closest matches to the most loose):

Astarion = Sebille (murderous Elf rogue, former slave, needs to deal with their previous oppressor. Both value personal freedom highly despite being very morally dubious. Both appear to be bound by some form of contract/duty to a greater power)

Gale = Red Prince (arrogant and accomplished, previously of a high social status before screwing it up. Both simping very hard for a lady. The bomb in Gale definitely adds a new factor, and Gale comes off as more manipulative and less truthful than the Red Prince)

Wyll = Lohse (charismatic adventurer connected/influenced by a demon. Both put on a front. Both are looking for a way to sever the bond. However, personality wise I think Lohse is quite different from Wyll - she also definitely feels more like a victim than Wyll does)

Lae'zel = Beast (the main reason why these 2 are similar is because their defining character trait is their race/culture, and their core conflict seems to be within that group. Both have weird relationships with their people's queen)

I don't think there's a good equivalent for Shadowheart and Fane between the 2 games so far.

veteran
veteran
My guess is:

EA surface = Levels 1-5
Underdark/Grymforge/Shadow Cursed Land = Levels 5-6
Moonrise Towers = Levels 6-7
End of Act 1

Act 2 = Levels 7-9

Act 3 = Levels 10-12 tops, but probably more like Level 10 and maybe 11 by the time the game ends.

Remember, the higher the level, the more XP that's needed to level up, and if Larian does a cap on each act, you'll be lucky to get to 10.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Actt 2 = Levels 7-9

Act 3 = Levels 10-12 tops,
This would mean that Act 2 would be much shorter than 3 ...
I hope it will be other way around.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
7d7 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Actt 2 = Levels 7-9

I agree I would be surprised if we go much higher than 12. Characters start to be godlike upon a certain level and having a party of them would make us feel like the avengers. It would be odd given we started level 1 in what is probably a week (month?) Ago on a nautilus.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AusarViled

Asterion= Fane
Shadow heart= red prince
Gale = Lohse
Wyll= Sebllie
Laze= beast

Hence I would make an educated guess, that we therefore level faster then most because we already where around lvl 10. S you hit lvl 10 by end of Arc 1. And arc 2-4 would take us to lvl 14-20.
Two separate issues here.

Firstly, leveling from 1-20 over a single campaign would just be poor design. Characters don't go from complete rookie to demigod superhuman in a few weeks. The world needs to make more sense than that, and D&D makes more sense than that. It would just be really bad pacing. From a mechanical standpoint the levels wouldn't be worth much if you just speed through them.

Secondly, I'm not buying the "everyone is legendary but the tadpole weakened them" narrative. There is absolutely no point for the Mind Flayers to mind control these characters if they are also weakened to level 1. You said it yourself, they were targeted because they were powerful. Also, the True Souls did not get weakened. This is quite simply a complete disconnect between writing and game mechanics. They should support rather than undermine each other. I find it incredibly off-putting that Gale is boasting about his powers when he's actually casting Magic Missile at Goblins.

Last edited by 1varangian; 16/08/22 09:00 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Actt 2 = Levels 7-9

Nah. I almost just put Act 3 = Level 10, tbh. That was probably their original plan. But then I thought that it could be Level 11 for completionists, and MAYBE level 12 IF there was bonus content or something.

addict
addict
Firstly, leveling from 1-20 over a single campaign would just be poor design. Characters don't go from complete rookie to demigod superhuman in a few weeks. The world needs to make more sense than that, and D&D makes more sense than that. It would just be really bad pacing. From a mechanical standpoint the levels wouldn't be worth much if you just speed through them.

Secondly, I'm not buying the "everyone is legendary but the tadpole weakened them" narrative. There is absolutely no point for the Mind Flayers to mind control these characters if they are also weakened to level 1. You said it yourself, they were targeted because they were powerful. Also, the True Souls did not get weakened. This is quite simply a complete disconnect between writing and game mechanics. They should support rather than undermine each other. I find it incredibly off-putting that Gale is boasting about his powers when he's actually casting Magic Missile at Goblins.

Not to mention Zevlor refers to Wyll as a "Legendary Monster Hunter" yet he is Level 1 when we meet him.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Ranxerox

Not to mention Zevlor refers to Wyll as a "Legendary Monster Hunter" yet he is Level 1 when we meet him.

Wyll is a demon lover, it’s even shown on his artwork in EA. Most likely he lost his powers in a bad deal with the sucubus. I would assume somewhere we will get the red prince story, of us finding adi demon an killing it to recover his power

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
So?

Have you ever heard about Gilderoy Lockhart? smile wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard