Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Aug 2020
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Aug 2020
Honestly, I'll often rest, leave camp, then rest again to make sure I don't miss anything.

Joined: Oct 2021
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2021
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
D&D adventurers are exceptional beings...

Maybe yours are.

Mine like to sleep.

Whether the game tells me they're exhausted or not. I figure I can usually decide that on my own.

Joined: Aug 2021
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2021
Originally Posted by Neleothesze
I long rest whenever I think there might be a new companion scene... so I'd say I rest more than I need to recover all my resources.

The same goes for me. I don't want to miss a companion scene, so I take long rests in very short intervals. It feels very strange, because the day should not even be over by then.

That the companion scenes, that are so well animated, voice-acted and written, are so easy to miss when you take long rests in appropriate time intervals is the one thing that really bothers me.

I like the companions we have met so far, I like the character writing. In my opinion, they are all very interesting and complex/nuanced characters, and I am very interested in learning more about them, about their backstories and personalities (it also would not surprise me if their backstories are even, in one way or another, connected to the main story arc).
Therefore, I would very much like to have more opportunities to talk to them.


Originally Posted by Neleothesze
If they fix the camp scenes so that you can trigger more than 1 per night, I'd rest less.

I would like that very much. I would not mind at all to talk to each of the companions who are present in our camp during one long rest, it also feels more natural/realistic. Why should I only talk to one person during the evening, before going to sleep (or meditate)? It is not implied that we talk with one of our companions while keeping watch.

I like very much how dialogues are implemented in the first night in camp, with Astarion and Shadowheart in the party. First, Astarion wants to talk to you - and then Shadowheart wants to know what you were talking about. It felt very natural, more like a group. It's similar for the scene with Raphael.

Many times, the dialogue option is also linked to the companion with the currently highest approval (even when other companions are in the same approval range), which seems a bit odd to me. I would very much like to have the opportunity to talk to the other companions as well.

It is also a bit strange to me that it seems to be implied that our Tav would romance the companion with the highest approval - holding the same views would not necessarily mean that there is also a romantic attraction. It was very funny when my sorcerer Tav, who is in a bit of a rivalry with Gale, exclaims "First in my heart", when I wanted to start a dialogue with him.


Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Honestly, I'll often rest, leave camp, then rest again to make sure I don't miss anything.

So I'm not the only one laugh

Last edited by Lyelle; 03/08/22 12:06 AM.
Joined: Sep 2020
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Sep 2020
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Midway through this playthrough I lost all interest continuing to play (for numerous reasons, but at least partly) because I didn't want to miss camp cutscenes, but LR'ing this often ruined any hint of game difficulty = interest in combat. We shouldn't have to choose between the two.
I tried the same thing, constant resting after every tiny thing to get as many companion dialogues as I could, and in addition to losing interest in playing I felt lazy and disgusting, not at all how I want to be made to feel in a game. Even if I was rping an unhealthy character I wouldn't need to rest that much. It also counters the whole supposed urgency with the tadpole (no, I do not play characters that would suddenly be ok with the thing just because someone else tells me it is a special tadpole.)

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Also, there could be a mechanic for this: exhaustion. Larian could decide on some triggers that cause characters to get a level of exhaustion (e.g., every X combats, going down in a fight, using X spells or abilities, entering X new area). This would be a neat, simple way of communicating to the player that their charactrer and Companions are getting tired from all the fighting & exploring. Then you, the player, gets a roleplaying choice: do you decide that your Tav would want to push through the exhaustion because they feel time limited? Or is your Tav satisfied with their progress that day, and so turns in for the night? [to be clear, in this system I'd suggest that a single LR cures all levels of exhaustion]
If they had added day/night cycle, resting and exhaustion would have been easy to figure out. Since they decided to make it all complicated then this idea would be a great way to indicate when we should rest. They still need to separate companion dialogues from camp though.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Liberec
Originally Posted by Lyelle
It feels very strange, because the day should not even be over by then.
What makes you say that?
Or ... when should be the day over?


In the words of the senior NCO instructor at cadet battalion:
“If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. And if you got caught you didn’t try hard enough!”
Joined: Feb 2022
U
stranger
Offline
stranger
U
Joined: Feb 2022
I try to do a long rest per "chapter" if that makes sense because it makes the game feel more immersive. When I wake up from the beach I don't allow myself to long rest until I have all four of my companions + meeting Withers. Then, after that, I don't allow myself to take my next long rest until I do all the stuff I can do in the Grove(fighting off goblin raid, harpy fight, meeting Nettie/talking to Kahga).

Next is one long rest for the entirety of the blighted village(minus the spiders, I normally skip that)

Then one long rest for the entirety of three gnoll encounters + Karlach plotline

Then one long rest for Auntie Ethel's plotline(once I fight the redcaps I'm not allowed to long rest until Auntie Ethel is dead/Mayrina's plot is resolved)

One long rest for Waukeen's rest(fire rescue + zhet hideout)

Githyanki patrol wipes me out in one go so that's a chapter by itself lmao.

One long rest before entering the goblin camp(meaning no long rests between fighting the three goblin bosses)

And so on. Playing this way makes the game a bit more challenging as well. Though sometimes I do make a party that doesn't need long rests(I once played an archer Ranger with Laezel, Astarion, and Wyll, and it was nice not having to really worry about spell slots)

Anyway game doesn't really like this because I miss a lot of important follower cutscenes when I long rest because so much stuff happens and the cutscene triggers compete with each other.

Joined: Jul 2022
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jul 2022
This is something I wish will be addressed in the next patch.

Joined: Aug 2021
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2021
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Lyelle
It feels very strange, because the day should not even be over by then.
What makes you say that?

There is one situation in particular where it feels very odd for me to take a long rest in between. I would think that the fight with the goblins at the druid grove gate, talking to Zevlor, talking to Zorru and talking to Nettie could all take place on the same day.
From a role-playing perspective, I would try to talk to Zorru and Nettie as soon as possible, since it is extremely urgent to find a cure. But as a player, I know that one dialogue scene only seems to trigger after you have talked to Zorru about the Githyanki patrol, but before you have spoken to Nettie. So I have to take a long rest before talking to Nettie, or else I would miss this scene.


Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Or ... when should be the day over?

It is difficult to say, but since a long rest should be at least 8 hours, maybe after approximately 12-16 hours would have passed? But it is a bit difficult to determine how much time would pass when travelling from one place to another, for example. If I would not have to be afraid to miss the companion scenes, I would take long rests in the same intervals as UmbraCore, one long rest for each "chapter".

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5