Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#825059 04/08/22 12:11 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

“When you shrink a giant space hamster they become super smart and telepathic” confused
But it’s not funny if Boo is anything more then a normal, unremarkable hamster.

Will they hire Mercer to voice Boo?

Last edited by Wormerine; 04/08/22 12:15 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
What happens to a good joke when it's run into the ground?

Back in the Minsc thread I recall the possibility that when playing Minsc we'll actually be 'playing' Boo, I still kind of like the idea, and it wouldn't necessarily give up the joke.

Last edited by Sozz; 04/08/22 03:26 PM.
addict
addict

What I'm slightly worried about (and it's really way, way at the bottom of my list of worries), is that BG3 will probably have to settle the question :

Is Boo actually a smart, miniature giant space hamster, as Minsc tells everyone Boo is ? Or is this all Minsc imagination running too wild, and Boo is a regular hamster ?

As far as I recall, BG1&2 as well as the comics didn't really settle the question. And this was great. It allows everyone to read the Boo-Minsc situation the way they want.

But in BG3, we'll have access to the spell Speak With Animals. So we'll be able to talk to Boo. And I don't see how Larian could write things in such a way that they don't have to settle for one answer.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
But in BG3, we'll have access to the spell Speak With Animals. So we'll be able to talk to Boo. And I don't see how Larian could write things in such a way that they don't have to settle for one answer.

Maybe Boo would decide not to tell us wink

veteran
veteran
I hadn't really thought about this. Yeah. Boo talking to us? Ugh. No. Please no.

It'd be better if Boo's a snob who sticks his nose up at us and refuses to say a word.

veteran
veteran
What if Boo's just as nutty as Minsc, going on about how he's riding a giant miniature ground human.

addict
addict
Well. Larian could let us use the spell to speak with Boo, just like we can with other animals, just not give us the option to ask that particular question, or, do give us the option but letting Boo refuse to give us an answer.

Originally Posted by JandK
What if Boo's just as nutty as Minsc, going on about how he's riding a giant miniature ground human.

Perfect!

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 04/08/22 08:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Sir Lora and Quercus vibes right there!

veteran
veteran
My head-canon, regardless of how they try to ret-con this over the years, will always be that Boo is a common Hamster and Minsc is completely mental.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
But If Boo were a common hamster, he probably would not even live through Throne of Bhaal, not to mention the comic adventures. Hamsters don't live very long normally. I think 2-3 years.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Composer
Sir Lora and Quercus vibes right there!

My thoughts exactly.

veteran
veteran
Boo IS a miniature giant space hamster. They're real:. 🤯

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Miniature_giant_space_hamster

Last edited by GM4Him; 04/08/22 10:48 AM.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
I don't think Minsc would be origin or companion character. I know there are some datamined files but I believe the idea of Minsc being a companion/origin is abandoned(I have no proof for this, just my hunch).

We will probably see Minsc as a cameo, like we have seen Drizzt in BG1 & 2. He will just kick ass in the purest form a fight or two. Maybe join the party temporarily as Halsin does.

Last thing I want to see is a level 1 Minsc. You guys were complaining how character backstories does not match their power level. Minsc was stuff of legend in the end of BG2.

Last edited by zamo; 04/08/22 11:48 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by zamo
I don't think Minsc would be origin or companion character. I know there are some datamined files but I believe the idea of Minsc being a companion/origin is abandoned(I have no proof for this, just my hunch).

We will probably see Minsc as a cameo, like we have seen Drizzt in BG1 & 2. He will just kick ass in the purest form a fight or two. Maybe join the party temporarily as Halsin does.
I hope you are right. However, early on Sven said that one of the two companions are written by the same person because of how closely they are tied together. We don't have an insight into the full roster, but from was discovered so far Minsc+Boo would be the only who could fit the discription.

veteran
veteran
I could do without Minsc at all tbh. I never liked him in the first two games and always ditched him at first opportunity ...I did like Dynaheir in my party though, so I normally send Minsc off naked and without weapons, to get killed by some enemy... imagine my surprise, when he turned up in BG2 and treated me like an old friend.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him

It would be more correct to say that Giant Space Hamsters have been made into something "real" after Minsc seeded the idea in BG1.
So, ret-con.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco

It would be more correct to say that Giant Space Hamsters have been made into something "real" after Minsc seeded the idea in BG1.
So, ret-con.

Lol. Yeah. I know. I read something about how Gith buy and sell them as a delicacy too. Really? It was funny because it was so unbelievable. Make it a real thing and it's no longer funny.

Well, to me anyway. I was always like, "You're a good guy, Minsc - a bit crazy because you suffered a head injury - but you're a good guy. Boo's a normal hamster. He doesn't fight. Ever. He just travels with you, but okay. Crazy Minsc.". Then I'd smile, recite his quotes because they're funny, and enjoy having him around.

It's just weird to me that he's alive a hundred years later. It totally destroys his character to me. I wish they'd just let him live a good, heroic life and be happy and have him have lived and died with a good, happy ending.

The only cameo that really makes sense is Jaheira as maybe a Harper leader. Have her pop up as someone you can meet leading Harpers by guiding them outside of combat. They won't let her fight because she's old. She may not look it, but she's well along in years and unable to fight like she used to.

Or maybe elves like Viconia. She'd have made for a good cameo in Grymforge or somewhere like that, trying to uncover ancient Sharran relics.

Last edited by GM4Him; 04/08/22 12:26 PM.
veteran
veteran
BG1&2 skillfully left it up to the player whether Boo in an actual space hamster or if Minsc was just hit in the head too hard. Leaning towards latter.. Actually strike that, there was no evidence whatsoever that Boo was anything but an ordinary hamster pet of a deranged warrior. So it was easy to just ignore.

I doubt Larian will be able to restrain themselves or to be so nuanced. It's more likely they're going to revel in silly over the top space hamster content and go all out comic book style, "going for the eyes" and stuff for memes. And it will be a cringe mismatch again in a story that involves mind flayers, dark cults, murder etc.

I never had Minsc in my party in BG1 or 2 either because he was a bit much. I generally like to RP a "smart" or professional party who know what they're doing. I don't like silly over the top stuff rubbed on my face when I'm not looking for it.

Last edited by 1varangian; 05/08/22 05:02 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The only cameo that really makes sense is Jaheira as maybe a Harper leader. Have her pop up as someone you can meet leading Harpers by guiding them outside of combat. They won't let her fight because she's old. She may not look it, but she's well along in years and unable to fight like she used to.

Or maybe elves like Viconia. She'd have made for a good cameo in Grymforge or somewhere like that, trying to uncover ancient Sharran relics.
What about Aerie? With her being young in BG2 and adventure with Bhaalspawn being her formative years, I think there is potential with coming up how mature Aerie would look like. With the others, I feel, the best they can do is try to recapture their appeal from 20 years old. Jaheira might rise through Harper's ranks, but how much should she change?

veteran
veteran

What about Aerie? With her being young in BG2 and adventure with Bhaalspawn being her formative years, I think there is potential with coming up how mature Aerie would look like. With the others, I feel, the best they can do is try to recapture their appeal from 20 years old. Jaheira might rise through Harper's ranks, but how much should she change?

Ah. Forgot about Aerie. I liked her at first, but she became nasty and annoying as she fought with Jaheira in her prepubescent way.

It would be interesting for her to make an appearance and be more mature, but whatever.

As for Jaheira, the recent sourcebook has her being a Harper leader, so it'd make sense to bump into her but only as a leader figure like Kagha rather than a party member. That, I wouldn't mind. I actually don't want any past characters as party members.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard