Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
There was some talk in another thread about setting up your own internal rules in the game. Ways to challenge yourself, perhaps. Or just ways to make the game more fun for yourself.

I'd be curious to hear how some of you play. Maybe you have some ideas I'd like to adopt in my own playthroughs.

Lately, I've been trying out a few different things.

1. I only let rogues hide during combat as a bonus action,
2. I only use items that are on the character. Meaning I don't shuffle items mid combat.
3. I don't use the fast travel option, and I only allow myself the opportunity to go to camp when I'm at a waypoint. And I can only use each waypoint once.
4. No reloading after bad rolls.
5. No revivify scrolls or using Withers. Death is death.
6. No throwing potions.

I also make an active effort to use my consumables as much as possible. For me, that makes the game so much more fun, and I don't end up having a ton stockpiled at the end.

Are there any things you like to do in your playthroughs?

(Please note: this is NOT a thread about how you shouldn't have to self-restrict because the game should blah blah whatever. Please save those comments for elsewhere.)

addict
addict
1) I never throw potions as well.
2) I avoid reload after bad rolls but I allow myself some exceptions (especially for RP reasons).
3) I avoid making meta decisions when it comes to combats. For instance, if the party has no way of knowing that there is an ambush, then I won't sneak.
4) I don't concern myself too much with meta builds, even for the companions. I may look at them but I prioritize the RP aspect.
5) I try to not compulsively loot everything.

6) I try to be more RP and consistent :
Confession time : I do sometimes make decisions that don't always fully fit my character. Not ones that are drastically against my character. But still, not ideal.
Two reasons for this :
* In games with approval system (like Dragon Ages games), I tend to try to befriend everyone and get max approval.
* I'm a completionist. Trying to do all quests and explore everything.

However, in my most recent playthroughs, I've been trying to break those habits more and more.
I don't know if this counts as self-restriction, It's definitely a challenge for me.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Broadly I try to do the following:

1. Complete “missions” that it makes sense should be done in one day without long resting, eg the goblin camp and Ethel’s lair.
2. Don’t reload after bad rolls (though I will use inspiration points to reroll).
3. Don’t pay merchants to improve attitude as I think it’s way too cheap.
4. Do what makes sense for my current character from a roleplay perspective, and not, eg, specifically to get companion approval, useful items or to maximise experience or other rewards.
5. Don’t dip weapons into flames from dropping torches or candles from the inventory (I could excuse this if my character were already carrying a lighted torch, but generally am not).
6. Don’t reload after one of my party dies (unless they all do of course), though I do use scrolls and Withers to revive them.
7. Don’t use the container exploit to steal the Idol of Silvanus. I can’t think offhand of any similar exploits where there’s something that I think shouldn’t work but does, but if so I’d probably avoid that too.

I also have quite a few things that I don’t rule out entirely, but will avoid overusing or abusing beyond what I can make sense of. These include entering combat from stealth, shoving, throwing potions, using waypoints, moving items between characters in combat.

EDIT: One more:
8. When one of my party rather than my main character is talking to an NPC, choose the options that I think best fit that companion rather than what my main character would do. (Though I don’t much like it when this leads to consequences I wouldn’t have chosen when the NPC has automatically spoken to a party member rather than “me” just because they were closer.)

Last edited by The_Red_Queen; 05/09/22 11:26 AM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
3) I avoid making meta decisions when it comes to combats. For instance, if the party has no way of knowing that there is an ambush, then I won't sneak.
Yes, good one. I confess I do use my knowledge from previous playthroughs for some fights (e.g. Ethel and the githyanki) but *try* to keep it within the bounds of what is feasible for a cautious party in hostile territory, with an eye out for effective use of terrain.

4) I don't concern myself too much with meta builds, even for the companions. I may look at them but I prioritize the RP aspect.
5) I try to not compulsively loot everything.

Oh yes, I do both these too!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
3. Don’t pay merchants to improve attitude as I think it’s way too cheap.

I didn't even know that was possible 😅
For the rest, I do the same!

old hand
old hand
1. No using the send to camp function. There is no in game lore that makes any sense of this, my party will immersively walk to camp to dump off items.
2. No dipping in fire. I would never voluntarily make it easier for enemies to see me by standing next to a light source.
3. No potion throwing, it just doesn't make sense to me that potions can be absorbed through armour.
4. No using shove, it looks ridiculous and I find it immersion breaking. If the distance changes to something reasonable then I may use it only on a high strength character if I ever have one in my party.
5. I engage in behaviours that make sense for the character I am rping. This means that I will not necessarily speak to every npc just to get quests, nor will I even do all the quests I pick up. I also will not kiss the rears of my companions just to keep them in my party.
6. I don't use my high Cha character to speak if it would not make sense for them. For example, if it is a conversation about magic, I will have Gale speak if he is the only mage type I have, even if the high Cha character will get me a better result.
7. I only loot what would make sense to loot at the time.
8. Companions keep their armour until I find something that is better for them.
9. I rarely reload if I fail a roll, only when it makes rp sense.
10. When the game is fully released I will most likely not use fast travel.
11. Characters will use only the spells they could actually learn according to 5e, no heal scrolls on Gale for example.
12. I try to guess at the amount of time that should have passed so I can long rest once per "day." Except for the start of the game where I would be pushing to exhaustion if we had proper time mechanics.
13. I do not move furniture around in front of enemy npcs. It is different if they are stupid enough to already be standing in range of something hazardous, then it will be used against them.
14. Mage hand will only be used properly. Not shoving, attacking, or anything similar.

I am sure there are more that I can't think of right now.

Originally Posted by JandK
I also make an active effort to use my consumables as much as possible. For me, that makes the game so much more fun, and I don't end up having a ton stockpiled at the end.
I need to try to do this. I tend to only remember to use poisons and healing potions.

I avoid making meta decisions when it comes to combats. For instance, if the party has no way of knowing that there is an ambush, then I won't sneak.
As someone who sneaks and scouts everywhere (in every game) just in case there is a potential situation, I find that interesting.

Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Don’t pay merchants to improve attitude as I think it’s way too cheap.
I would only do this if it was a merchant we would visit regularly. None of them currently meet that criteria. If there was a permanent merchant in an area we could frequently visit (maybe in Baldur's Gate) then I would consider it for rp reasons.

old hand
old hand
I like to use everything the game can offer, the only exceptions are:

- not using the best skills and the most optimized builds for all party members, because I always try to find new and unique ways to build characters
- not sneaking on enemies to gain a surprise advantage (rarely I do though)

addict
addict
3. I don't use the fast travel option, and I only allow myself the opportunity to go to camp when I'm at a waypoint. And I can only use each waypoint once.
That’s interesting, I’ll try that!

I’ll add a few more that haven’t been said yet.

Jumping is for obstacles, not to gain 5 feet of movement.

No swapping companions. It feels weird and/or I don’t really get it.

No sleeping ‘till the party can’t fight. (Complaining won’t help, Shadowheart.)

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
addict
addict
1. 4 member party size max (no sending anyone to camp to switch in or out) sometimes I play with only 3
2. Can only use class appropriate scrolls
3. no throwing potions
4. Max 2 healing potions equipped by character
5. Max 2 "grenade type" item per character
6. don't collect food items I use supply packs only
7. no buffing prior to combat being initiated
8. no bribing merchants (no need as there is so much gold)
9. Long rest when it seems like a full day may have passed
10. 1 or two weapons max carried by each party member (ie my fighter carries only 1 mele and 1 ranged weapon)
11. I always hire Ogres but never call on them (I'm just bribing them to abandon the Goblins)
12. After rescuing Halsin I always go out the front door (lol its quite a fight)
13 Only time I use barrelmancy is the "smoke powder room" in the Goblin camp....I just can't resist!
14 RP characters in a sensible and logical fashion to try and stay in character so not all quests are always pursued.
15. Generally treat the map in a linear fashion that progresses from the Nautiloid wreck to the Goblin camp then underdark. All other locations are in between ( this takes some real imagination at times)
16. Often when I include Wyll (especially if Gale is in party) I have him masquerade as a Sorcerer to hide his Warlock status until it is no longer possible. This provides some real challenges (no Eldritch blast, no familiar no Warlock unique spells)
17 Sometimes play Shadowheart unarmored and use her as a pure healer/semi rogue. Is actually kind of fun.

many others that I can't think of right now

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Ranxerox
2. Can only use class appropriate scrolls
7. no buffing prior to combat being initiated

Oh yes, me too.

Originally Posted by Ranxerox
6. don't collect food items I use supply packs only

I do it the other way around and avoid using supply packs. Given the amount of food in the game that’s not a massive restriction, though I do also try not to overly abuse sending to camp.

addict
addict
Remembered a few others

1. Shadowheart only uses guidance on her checks
2. Always enter the whispering depths through the wall in basement of the "armory" and across the web bridge makes for a tougher first fight
3. I don't use any resistance potions Hag and Spider fights can be more challenging (I do allow antitoxin)
4. I don't use shove to waken characters affected by sleep, someone else in party has to use help
5. I don't cut the ropes on any hanging threats (ie the bandits outside the crypt)
6. I always let the gnolls near the bridge initiate combat, combined with other restrictions it can a challenging fight
7. Let the goblin kids escape, the fight is only marginally harder
8. I don't use the smoke powder bombs

I generally just makes rules for myself that pertain to roleplaying my character. For example, if I'm playing a noble who served as a diplomat for his house before being mindnappeed,i'll probably attempt to talk my way through as many problems as I can, and try to make potential allies everywhere I go either for potential power or oppurtunity. Another thing I try to do, is not rely on metagaming, and instead rely on my characters own knowledge and instinct. An example of this, would be I know there is an ambush ahead, but my character, nor any of his party members, suspect anything, so I am going to walk into that ambush and deal with it accordingly despite my knowledge as the player.

addict
addict
Exceptions can always be made like if it's a long time into a gigantic goblin fight and I may lose, maybe I break my rules so I don't have to reload and spend a crapload of time again.
Mostly I don't do anything that gives advantages in combat. No potions, no items, no magic arrows, no scrolls, no dipping, no shoving, no stealth except rogue, no barrelmancy, no poison on weapons, etc.
Also, nothing that doesn't make sense. Wizards can't learn cleric spells, etc.
I only use Laezel's armor if I kill her. Like in my recent run, I failed the deception roll and didn't want to kill the tieflings...so she dies and I take her armor.
And unless MY char dies..they stay dead.

I do sometimes cheat on my "solo runs" and have a full party as pack mules, but they run away and take no actions in combat.

veteran
veteran
None ...
I know, hardly surprising. laugh

Sometimes i have taste for some "crazy" game, where i do any nonsence that was written here, just for the fun of it.

And sometimes, i would say most of the time, im trying to immerse myself ... so i dont do anything that my character wouldnt think about. That would probably on the cotrary contain many (maybe even all) things metnioned abowe. smile

But i never-ever-ever created any "not to do" list, not even just in my head. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/09/22 01:17 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
1: No reloading after bad rolls.
2: No shove unless AI uses it.
3: No dipping on cooldown.

That's pretty much it.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don’t use spells/attacks that create surfaces because I despise having a battlefield covered in surfaces. I also do not throw barrels be cause it is silly (tho I did use it a couple of tines in early runs).

I also purposely do not use alot of convo skills checks, because I like to draw out information slowly and naturally rather than using charisma or intelligence rolls. It feels like the dialogues flow better when I do that (in this game and others like it)

Other than that? No restrictions. I personally feel that self imposed restrictions mean I am basically creating the game mechanics. It’s work at that point, and I don’t game to work! (Too lazy…plus, I think it is pretty fun as is tbh)

Last edited by timebean; 07/09/22 12:15 AM.
veteran
veteran
Unless I'm doing a specific test or an experiment to gather data, I generally don't 'restrict' myself at all when I play.

This is the problem, really: If I'm playing for enjoyment and just trying to have fun with the game, then, for me, that usually involves being as effective in combat as is reasonably, tactically possible, and making the most effective choices I can see to make at any given point. I'd like to have a reasonable level of challenge and for the game to feel fair and legitimate as I play, and I don't want to feel like I'm handicapping myself for the sake of making things more challenging or more believable, because that's counter-immersive. I also don't want to feel like I'm cheating the game, or abusing broken AI or mechanics (these *should* be very simple needs to meet in any video game, and they are for just about every other major game I've played).

So, I play the game as the game asks itself to be played, and use all of the broken, stupid mechanics that it offers, because they are almost always the best option. Sure I use spells and class abilities too, but most of the time, being effective and efficient means abusing the homebrew and the shoddy broken mechanics heavily... so I use them when it seems tactically efficient to do so, which is often.

I very quickly lose any sense of enjoyment or fun with the game, despite the fact that I'm literally playing for fun and enjoyment; combats are a chore and not engaging, and are functionally impossible to lose, but arbitrarily limiting my options to create challenge or to create a semblance of better believability kills my ability to enjoy the game just as, if not even more, quickly.

Before long, I'm not really having fun either way - the writing and the story certainly isn't engaging enough to keep me with it through and in spite of the other detractors, at this point, nor are most of the characters, or the scene direction.

My engagement is actually highest when I'm running a specific experiment to analyse or assess an element of the game, for reporting purposes - but that's engagement in a project that I want to complete, not engagement in a game that I'm enjoying. As a game to enjoy playing, I find the design makes it impossible for me to enjoy, no matter how I choose to play, which is a remarkable feat, considering that this is exactly the genre of game I do generally enjoy; no matter how I play or what I do, it results in overpoweringly strong elements that sap the fun and engagement from the game very quickly.

Last edited by Niara; 07/09/22 01:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
I couldn't have said it better, Niara. I'm almost exactly the same.

I realized what BG3 is for me. It's like when I was a kid and bought what looked like a REALLY cool board game, but when I read the rules I was grossly disappointed. So, I created my own rules to try to make the most fun out of it that I could. Then, in the end, I realized that I wasn't enjoying the board game at all. I was enjoying the imagery of the board and my own game that I created myself because the game designers didn't make good rules. Thus, I was disappointed because what I was really hoping for was a game that both looked cool and was really fun to play.

Now, I think BG3 is lots more fun than that, but certain elements do hinder my fun. Dialogue tied to long rest so I have to long rest a lot is one of them. Shove being broken and stealth are 2 more.

Like Niara, I'm tired of being my own DM and having to enforce the rules. I do that all the fricking time. I want to be the player and have the DM tell me the rules. And I want those rules to make sense, not shove = 30 or more feet and characters get sleepy after 5 minutes of gameplay because they want to talk to you at camp or whatever. I want the game to push me and challenge me. I absolutely don't want to have to challenge myself.

BUT... I also don't want the game to be SO hard that unless I use some stupid homebrew gimmick I won't be able to continue. I don't want it to be so tough that I get super frustrated and just quit. This is why solid, balanced rules without stupid cheeses and gimmicks are so important to me. Basically, I don't want to have to metagame and stealth cheese an enemy like the bulette just to ensure I can kill it.

Last edited by GM4Him; 07/09/22 01:41 AM.
veteran
veteran
Same, though I can't bring myself to use out of class spells.
Sometimes it also means not abusing the AI, but I'm not to proud to hide-snipe Githyanki if I need to (It helps that with that particular fight, it actually doesn't work)

JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
(Please note: this is NOT a thread about how you shouldn't have to self-restrict because the game should blah blah whatever. Please save those comments for elsewhere.)

Seriously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard