Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
veteran
veteran
My only thought was that this update saved lots of youtuber's asses from embarasment.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
My list of what I feel needs to be added in patch 9:

1. Monk Class
2. FIX SHOVE to meet 5e requirements.
3. Next race
4. FIX SHOVE to meet 5e requirements.
5. Fix ranges on spells and ranged weapons to meet 5e range rule-set. Not artificially shortened to 18 meters as they currently are.
6. FIX SHOVE to meet 5e requirements.

My list of what I would like to see by game launch.

1. Shove behaving as it should.
2. All PH races and variants available, with a possible few additional options like (Tabaxi, Elf subs: Shadar-kai (would fit this story well), and Eladrin, Genasi, and Tortle).
3. Ranges or range damage adjusted so melee does not have such a drastic advantage as it is currently with the ranges nerfed to max at 18 meters for spells and missiles.
4. Crossbow fire rate to be accurate to 5e (max 1 per round) unless wielder has Crossbow Expert skill.

addict
addict
Can’t wait ….just get patch 9 out asap !,,

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I don't think (unless I missed it) that we have yet had our scheduling of the seemingly requisite PFH.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
JMO, but I think we will hear something about the PFH this week, perhaps even today as I seem to think they make these announcements on Tuesdays.

Well, the time is near, we will hear something eventually, but when is a question mark right now.

We got ghosted yesterday :P

veteran
veteran
Keep hoping and you are bound to be eventually right!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kethlar
Saw this posted in the Steam discussion forum. Any thoughts? It looks legit,

https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/history/

Added patch9 timeupdated: 31 October 2022 – 01:26:48 UTC (1667179608)
Added patch9 pwdrequired: 1
Added patch9 description: EA Patch 9
Added patch9 buildid: 9833764
Added patch9 Depot 1086941 encrypted_size_2: 316F86A42C9FA6850DAD5226B3D007C5

For every patch since the beginning, they appeared 4-5 weeks before release in the steamdb deposit.
So my thoughts are : except if they have changed something, don't except the next patch soon.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Keep hoping and you are bound to be eventually right!
That’s my philosophy! 😂 My next guess is a November release for patch 9!

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Given that it is drifting closer to the holiday season for patch 9 it seems like an ideal time to announce a release date if they have one in mind.

Could help boost sales during the Christmas season.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
JMO, but I think they will do the PFH the week of Nov 14th and release the patch on the 22nd right before Thanksgiving. As Lake said above, they might even announce a release date at the same time. I still think a Feb/Mar release makes sense to me.

T
Banned
Banned
T
I think people need to get realistic expectations though. There is maybe no Hexadin Warlock option coming and it does not exist in Players Handbook. There is no Polearm feat at least yet implemented and feats is optional rule in DnD 5 to begin with. How are they going to fix Paladin level 5 spell Summon Steed that also a Wizard Conjuration School could cast? I do not know if that is going to be in BG3 in any form? Well and as for races. They do not need to release any race that is not in Players Handbook though Gityanki already released. There are a number of Cleric domains that will be added to the game from Players Handbook, but Twilight Domain is not in Players Handbook so not for full release I believe very strongly.
Can mods add stuff? Sure but I was talking about base full game BG3 with official supported features. In addition in far future perhaps an expansion that you can buy will increase level cap and bring some more DnD 5 features.

That release date Kethlar mentioned might be accurate and I believe this game will be released within first 6 months of 2023.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 01/11/22 09:21 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
I think people need to get realistic expectations though. There is maybe no Hexadin Warlock option coming and it does not exist in Players Handbook. There is no Polearm feat at least yet implemented and feats is optional rule in DnD 5 to begin with. How are they going to fix Paladin level 5 spell Summon Steed that also a Wizard Conjuration School could cast? I do not know if that is going to be in BG3 in any form? Well and as for races. They do not need to release any race that is not in Players Handbook though Gityanki already released. There are a number of Cleric domains that will be added to the game from Players Handbook, but Twilight Domain is not in Players Handbook so not for full release I believe very strongly.
Can mods add stuff? Sure but I was talking about base full game BG3 with official supported features. In addtion in far future perhaps an expansion that will increase level cap and bring some more features.

That release date Kethlar mentioned might be accurate and I believe this game will be released within first 6 months of 2023.

I think people's high hopes are due to the respect that they have for Larian as a developer.

I don't think it would shock anyone if Artificer is a class, there are like four additional races outside of the player's handbook and there are like 12-15 companions or something like that.

But yeah - expecting stuff like that is setting yourself up for the big sad.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
Can mods add stuff? Sure but I was talking about base full game BG3 with official supported features. In addtion in far future perhaps an expansion that will increase level cap and bring some more features.

I think people's high hopes are due to the respect that they have for Larian as a developer.

I don't think it would shock anyone if Artificer is a class, there are like four additional races outside of the player's handbook and there are like 12-15 companions or something like that.

But yeah - expecting stuff like that is setting yourself up for the big sad.
Yes do not get me wrong. I do not have anything against more races and lots of other stuff, but simply want this game to be soon (hopefully within first 6 months of year 2023) released and not postponed to year 2024.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 01/11/22 09:28 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Shove as an action
Reaction system
Better short rests
Better long rests
Proper spell list
Remove throwing potion
Fast travel rework (no more runes that makes no sense, just checkpoints on the worldmap)

It would mostly solve my biggest mechanical issues at this point.

Exact same list for me.
<adding> stuff like classes, areas etc...should go WAY last in priority. Fine for the final release.

Beating a dead horse at this point ...would add core features such as :

Day/night
Time
A more immersive less static Faerun world
kind of companion revamp... I have lost interest with every single companions, and there are to few to choose. And my main doesn't have an appealing story...feels like a side character.

But at this point Larian is probably close to being done with the game, things now being calibrated for release.
My excitement went for amazing to meh pretty quickly.
And I feel I am not the only one...Reading Steam reviews, Gog reviews, D&D forums, Pathfinder forums, Infinity Engine forums, RPGcodex, Discord RPG servers ...People who deny that the game is a disappointment are really blinded by reality of things. Main culprit being this game being called a Baldur's gate game.
Like it or not that is the general opinion, and this was not the way during the DOS2 days.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 02/11/22 12:58 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
apprentice
apprentice
Same answer i've given since 1st Patch ; PALADIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Figulus
Same answer i've given since 1st Patch ; PALADIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's probably why it is being saved for release. wink

B
stranger
stranger
B
I think people need to get realistic expectations though. There is maybe no Hexadin Warlock option coming and it does not exist in Players Handbook.

Look, I already know at this point that I'm probably going to ditch the game midway through like I did DOS2 just due to me being... not a fan of the theme-parky and sterile nature of the game world and the 'balls-to-the-wall from the word go' action movie narrative that is present in EA. That being said, if I can at the very least play as an Oathbreaker Paladin hanging with my Jack Skellingtons I'll enjoy that and it will have been worth the cost of admission.

Last edited by Bird Person; 02/11/22 08:10 AM.
It is pretty bonkers though that Githyanki is an option. I mean even when we had the option to play them in 3.5 edition we never did, even with the LA tradeoff. They are not a popular race, or even a liked race, unlike drow for example, people very often wanted to play one, even when it was difficult. Aasimars were also more popular than tieflings, but we saw the second appear in 5e phb while the first appeared in dm's guide and later on volo's guide. Some decisions of 5e were... interesting to say the least. Oathbreaker paladin and Death cleric, arguably some of the better mechanical routes tied to evil or npc only, in DM's guide. And now, we are gonna pay the price for it, with a phb-only game.

Anyway, people have expectations that they will see PHB features, we get it. They have hopes for something more though, because of several reasons.

1) Larian usually overdelivers from what they promised.

2) There probably are going to be some more options because of story, or setting, or whatever *cough Githyanki coudh*, and no one even asked for Gith. Imagine people's horror when they realize they can't play a fan-favorite aasimar paladin, but they can play a gith worldhater.

3) Some things don't work mechanically well from the PHB only. Some stellar options are missing, and some that even make builds work. Melee Warlocks do-not-work, period. Only with eldritch smite or/and Hexblade you can make them work. Which makes me wonder, what is even the purpose of Wyll, can anyone even make him work, as a melee character? Blade of Lowtiers more likely.

Anyway, pretty much people should understand that when they make "promises for only the PHB and they'll see", it means wait for PHB. Maybe they'll surprise us with something more. And let's hope they do, because i am not really looking forward to going back playing a stale PHB only game. PHB only 5th edition is not something to look forward to, no matter how hard it is to implement more stuff. Also, other companies *cough Owlcat cough*, managed to implement tons more classes, archetypes, prestige classes, feats, mythic paths even, that were available all from the alpha of the game(except some mythic paths).

Anyway, the game is probably feature complete, and we haven't even heard what are the final races and (sub)classes of the final release yet. Which means, either we won't like it because it's kinda basic PHB+gith, or they want to surprise us.

Still, i wanna prepare myself from what exactly we're getting. No point getting disappointed later, or close to release.

And no, assuming only PHB material is in, doesn't cut it. I want confirmation.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Bird Person
I think people need to get realistic expectations though. There is maybe no Hexadin Warlock option coming and it does not exist in Players Handbook.

Look, I already know at this point that I'm probably going to ditch the game midway through like I did DOS2 just due to me being... not a fan of the theme-parky and sterile nature of the game world and the 'balls-to-the-wall from the word go' action movie narrative that is present in EA. That being said, if I can at the very least play as an Oathbreaker Paladin hanging with my Jack Skellingtons I'll enjoy that and it will have been worth the cost of admission.

This is an interesting take because it is rather similar to how I view the game. The whole starting during a Michael Bay action sequence thing just rubs me the wrong way - big time.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 was somewhat similar for me. I remember picking it up and being like "This is what everyone is raving about as one of the best RPGs of all-time?" - then I got about three hours into the game or so and it really started to shine for me. It went from a game I was super skeptical about to being probably my second favorite game ever made... and I think it could have ended up being my favorite if Act 4 wasn't so meh.

I still theorize that due to the combat being so fun and the mechanics being so interesting I kind of ended up falling in love with a lot of the goofy story and at times over the top characters.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard