Larian alumnus
Larian alumnus
A noble Dwarf with an Historian background! Shield & Axe as main weapons cool

Retired Senior Community Manager - Baldur's Gate III & Larian Studios
â–º Twitter Nicou
Ranxerox #830652 01/10/22 03:59 AM
addict
addict
Strongly depends on the last races they add when the game releases.

A Dragonborn Druid if all PHB races are added.

A Half-Orc Druid (Possible Barbarian multi-class) if they decide the reptile head is too complicated.

A Lizardfolk Druid if my wildest dreams come true.

The Dragonborn is a traveling scholar who believes creatures born of magic chicanery are still living things and thus deserve his Circle's protection, so he aspires to create a refuge for the unnatural living things of the world to live freely and safely.

The Half-Orc is the product of an illicit affair between his noble adventurer mother and an orcish warlord she fell in love with. He ended up living on the streets after his mother passed away, but was picked up and trained by his mom's old adventuring companion; a halfling druid.

The Lizardfolk is a servant of a Green Dragon that rules over his tribe. He was sent out to become an adventurer by his dragon-god so that he could accumulate wealth and bring it back to enrich his hoard, as well as bring back information about the wider world.

Ranxerox #830653 01/10/22 04:26 AM
addict
addict
A gorgeous, highly educated and somewhat spoiled sorceress from a noble family(most probably half elf) who is used to handle even the slightest inconvenience with her magic. Having a tiny amount of know-it-all attitude she will point out to Gale that she was born with magic and he was not, every chance she gets. While secretly admiring him for his intelligence and fantasizing about what's underneath that robe of his...

Is that backstory a cliché? Yes, yes it is. I don't care :P The stuck up attitude of the general Aes Sedai (for those of you who have read Wheels of Time) is how I imagine a sorceress every time :P

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 01/10/22 04:30 AM.
Ranxerox #830654 01/10/22 06:54 AM
addict
addict
It depends on whether we're stuck with the Baldurian tag or not. The only things that are set in stone is that the character is a male human or half-elf and will be either fighter (champion), rogue, bard, ranger or paladin if we're stuck with the tag.

Kendaric #830656 01/10/22 07:13 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kendaric
It depends on whether we're stuck with the Baldurian tag or not. The only things that are set in stone is that the character is a male human or half-elf and will be either fighter (champion), rogue, bard, ranger or paladin if we're stuck with the tag.
Im affraid we are ...
Underdark, Plannar, or Baldur's Gate. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Im affraid we are ...
Underdark, Plannar, or Baldur's Gate. :-/

I hope they'll reconsider and add a few more, even if they are limited to Amn, Swordcoast, Western Heartlands, etc. or something like "Outlander".
Otherwise the outlander background doesn't make much sense. I'd love to play as a barbarian (berserker) or druid, but if I'm forced to have the Baldurian tag that won't happen.

Ranxerox #830661 01/10/22 10:17 AM
veteran
veteran
Yeah i get what you mean.
But honestly? Dont seem like much problem to me ...

As long as you never pick any [Baldurian] dialogue choice ... so far it seems like you are prefectly fine as Outlander. wink
Also ... i can quite easily imagine person who was born in Baldur's Gate ... therefore have Baldur's Gate origin tag ... but spend last decade or two in the wilderness ... therefore have Outlander background. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Kendaric #830662 01/10/22 10:18 AM
old hand
old hand
I hope they'll reconsider and add a few more, even if they are limited to Amn, Swordcoast, Western Heartlands, etc. or something like "Outlander".
Otherwise the outlander background doesn't make much sense. I'd love to play as a barbarian (berserker) or druid, but if I'm forced to have the Baldurian tag that won't happen.
Until they add into character creation that we are forced to be Baldurian, I choose to pretend that tag does not exist. It makes no sense to create a character (and most of us probably come up with a location in the backstory) and then find out later that we can't be who we think we are. And you are absolutely right that it makes no sense for an Outlander background.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
Strongly depends on the last races they add when the game releases.

A Dragonborn Druid if all PHB races are added.

A Half-Orc Druid (Possible Barbarian multi-class) if they decide the reptile head is too complicated.

A Lizardfolk Druid if my wildest dreams come true.

The Dragonborn is a traveling scholar who believes creatures born of magic chicanery are still living things and thus deserve his Circle's protection, so he aspires to create a refuge for the unnatural living things of the world to live freely and safely.

The Half-Orc is the product of an illicit affair between his noble adventurer mother and an orcish warlord she fell in love with. He ended up living on the streets after his mother passed away, but was picked up and trained by his mom's old adventuring companion; a halfling druid.

The Lizardfolk is a servant of a Green Dragon that rules over his tribe. He was sent out to become an adventurer by his dragon-god so that he could accumulate wealth and bring it back to enrich his hoard, as well as bring back information about the wider world.

Cool backstories love...... the imagination on this forum.

Ranxerox #830677 01/10/22 04:20 PM
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Yeah, there's some really fun stuff in this thread.

In terms of background, my Seladrine ranger will be one whose job it is to hunt down Lolth-sworn drow who are escaping to the surface. She's genuinely a good person who defies Lolth on principle, but she's still haughty and arrogant, viewing other races with a degree of condescention. She's also got a bit of a ruthless streak. Not to the point of crossing the line to evil, but she's willing to make a few ethical sacrifices and not lose sleep over it. If the goal is important enough, she'll employ sketchier methods.

I should probably think of a good backstory for my tiefling.

Ranxerox #830705 02/10/22 11:29 AM
I will create a male human Ranger (that looks like me with long locks) with the Folk Hero background. I did some research into the city of Baldur's Gate in the 5th Edition time frame, and the poor folk need a vigilante hero to defend them because the Flaming Fist sure as hell ain't doing it.

Ranxerox #830717 02/10/22 04:43 PM
Seldarine Drow Bard, college of Lore, super-devoted to Elistraee (I hope we get a mod that allows every class to pick a god, like the Cleric does atm) on a neverending quest to annoy Gale. Being a Seldarine born on the surface, she wouldn't know much about the Underdark but would get very invested in the Society of Brillaince and in visiting the library of Gravenhollow (two things I really hope the devs will expand upon!). For act one, she would make it her mission to discover as much as possible about the NightSong the moment she hears about it.

Alingment wise, I see her as chaotic good.

- Firm believer in Mindflayer supremacy -
Ranxerox #830741 03/10/22 03:34 PM
apprentice
apprentice
My character is a very sturdy dwarven cleric of Moradin. He's the soul of the party - very difficult to put down and keeps allies alive and buffed at all times. A true tank/support both in combat and outside of it.

Ranxerox #830754 03/10/22 10:18 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
Either helf-elf chaotic or neutral good sorceror (wild mage) with potentially a dip into warlock.

Or a half-elf paladin, probably lawful neutral or good. It will depend on how I like the playstyle of paladin when it's released.

Down the road I'll play a neutral evil bard too.

Ranxerox #830791 05/10/22 09:59 AM
Community Manager
Community Manager
Love reading the backstories here <3
Myself, I might go with my classic Half-elf Wild Magic Sorceress, whom I usually play as a pompous Baldur's Gate Noble 😅
But I'm also very tempted to play a Githyanki rogue and romance Lae'zel 🥺

Ranxerox #830864 07/10/22 05:39 PM
stranger
stranger
My 1st playthrough will be a half-elf red dragon bloodline sorcerer with Charlatan background (my 1st dnd 5e character ever made).

He loves gambling and hitting on pretty faces as well as having a lot of money to spend on alcohol and parties ;>

Most of the decisions will be chaotic/good alligned and I will try to rid off the tadpole (and not kill myself in the process)

I will try to recruit all of the infected origin characters as well as npcs (Withers, Halsin Barcus Root) to keep me company at the camp. The more the merrier!

As for romance options I was planning to have Shadowheart on the side of my bedroll at first, but after I heard Lae'zel saying 'I want to ride a red dragon', I cannot resist but help this poor githyanki to fulfill her dream (I repeat, red dragon bloodline sorcerer). Or maybe Larian will give me this 'shared arrangrment' option so I don't have to choose smile

Last edited by Adalbert; 07/10/22 05:40 PM.
Ranxerox #830922 09/10/22 03:14 PM
addict
addict
I've already answered Bard but...please, hear me out.

Until recently, "Paladin" meant to me :
- Either the knight in shining armor trope
- Or the dark knight / avenger type

And I don't vibe with those ones.

To each their own, of course. After all, Batman is a very popular character😄
Plus, not every player follows the same tropes. But, I still don't find those types of paladin inspiring.

But (!), after doing some more reading :
A) I've learnt those types of paladin only mean Oath of Devotion and Oath of Vengeance. Still not interested in those.
B) I've learnt that I love the Oath of Redemption and its Tenets. I find myself wanting to create a paladin now. Never thought I'd see the day 😅.

However, only classes and sub-classes from the PHB were confirmed to be implemented in BG3.
Soooo...I've checked the PHB again. And, honestly...I could totally vibe with the Oath of the Ancients as well.
Sometimes called fey knights, green knights, or horned knights, paladins who swear this oath cast their lot with the side of the light in the cosmic struggle against darkness because they love the beautiful and life-giving things of the world, not necessarily because they believe in principles of honor, courage, and justice.
I love this. I still miss the notion of redemption but it's compelling enough to make me want to play a paladin on my first playthrough and to jump on the "please-release-the-paladin-class-during-EA" bandwagon.

T.L.D.R : I've overcome some preconceptions and I will now (most likely) by playing a Moon Elf (always an elf) Paladin following the Oath of the Ancients 💚.

EDIT : Backstory (a general draft or course)
She a Moon Elf paladin who has decided to take the Oath of the Ancients. She uses her charm, wits, agility and dexterity to fight the dark and despair (DEX based paladin). Sometimes her words and/or compassion alone are enough to put an end to an altercation. While her fighting style could be seen as a form of art in and of itself, she also uses her mastery of movements and sense of humor to entertain people (Entertainer background). And in such, bringing the light through art, beauty and laughter. This resonates well with those two tennets :
Preserve Your Own Light. Delight in song and laughter, in beauty and art. If you allow the light to die in your own heart, you can't preserve it in the world.

Be the Light. Be a glorious beacon for all who live in despair. Let the light of your joy and courage shine forth in all your deeds.

Last edited by MelivySilverRoot; 10/10/22 08:41 PM. Reason: Backstory added
Ranxerox #831264 18/10/22 01:13 AM
Red Draconic sorcerer from the noble background who takes pride in being the descendant of a dragon, and who is borderline obsessed with loot, wealth, and becoming the strongest sorcerer that has ever been and that will ever be.

Ranxerox #831315 18/10/22 07:30 PM
F
addict
addict
F
In 3.5e it would be simple. Easiest to play for the first playthrough is human, because of two talents at L1.

In 5e... hm... I guess I'll go with the one with the best looking females, which is the Drow.

And I think it will be Sorcerer class, the one I like best.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
Ranxerox #831725 29/10/22 09:52 PM
I'm leaning heavily towards a male half-drow ranger knight.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard