Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#831434 22/10/22 05:04 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
During the last panel from hell they showed the steam deck and Swen mentioned that there was controller support for the game. The thing is that right now there isn't controller support. Well, there is controller support for stadia but as we all know stadia won't exist anymore very soon.

I am hoping that we won't have to wait for the final release to see controller support. Some of us are not physically capable of playing on a keyboard and a mouse. I understand that that is how a lot of people want to play the game and that's great but for those of us that cannot play that way it would really be great to see stadia like controls brought to the PC.

In the big picture it really only matters for the final release but I have more than 1,000 hours playing on stadia and I would like to be able to play the same way even after stadia dies. It would be an awesome addition to the next patch since I know people have been working on controller support.

Shaolin Stoner
W
W
I feel your pain, the UI and Control scheme in this game is chore to slog through even without physical detriments with KB/M. I find it very weird that they didn't enable Controller support from the beginning, since it seems like that is the intended way to play the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by williams85
I feel your pain, the UI and Control scheme in this game is chore to slog through even without physical detriments with KB/M. I find it very weird that they didn't enable Controller support from the beginning, since it seems like that is the intended way to play the game.
Yeah, I think if I could sink in a couch and play BG3 with a controller I would find some of it's designs much less frustrating.

apprentice
apprentice
So has anyone found out why, with Patch 9, and probably the last EA patch, we don't have controller support enabled? They much have it as the game was scheduled to release on STADIA at the same time as on the PC, so they must have the controller support mapped out, not to mention that they will also be releasing on XBOX and PS5 sometime later.

Also, they already have the code for controller support from their previous games, DOS and DOS II

I don't have DOS or DOS ii on PC, does anyone know if the PC versions have controller support in the PC version(s)?

veteran
veteran
D:OS1&2 do have full controller support. I don't know personally when they were added it games' lifespan.

I am sure that controller support is just a matter of time. Console ports are bound to happen, and Larian also showed interest in Steamdeck which will benefit greatly from full gamepad support.

I am looking at Stadia gameplay videos, and their UI didn't seem to evolve since day1 (perhaps someone with Stadia experience might comment - latest gameplay I found is from Patch7). Perhaps for PC they wait for finalized UI before implementing controller support that would work with new features, while Stadia got temporary, basic UI, as the platform demanded the feature 🤷‍♂️. Just making a guess.

We put hundreds of hours in Stadia. Controller support was mostly OK, but not nearly as refined as DOS2. I don't remember ever feeling like they did a whole to fix the controller specific issues. Up until the last time we played, trying to target vertically was a huge PITA. It almost always resulted in using the trigger to snap back to another character, and at times, even prevented us from targeting an individual at all until we moved.

I'm pretty sure there were UI changes over the course of Sadia EA, but the vast majority of those were limited to PC. I remember reading all of those multiple page change logs only to find much of that didn't apply to us.

Link Copied to Clipboard