Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
This was the most encouraging thing to me. I hope this is true.

Our goal is for even the players who have repeated Act 1 over and over again for hundreds of hours to feel like there’s a whole new experience in store for them at launch.

And

we’ll go into detail about some of the most discussed topics in the community.

And

The good news is that we’re on track for release in 2023.

I AM still holding out hope that the end product is going to utterly blow all competition out of the water.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
If there aren't infernal reindeer, I'm asking for a refund. ;-)
But seriously, can't wait for the awesome Christmas present.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
Iirc one handed spear will be in game (could be very wrong here)… so… just take the pointy part off and bingo!
So ...
We would poke with our quarterstaff rather than smash? laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 11/11/22 05:58 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Mindgame26
If there aren't infernal reindeer, I'm asking for a refund. ;-)
But seriously, can't wait for the awesome Christmas present.
Now that you mention it, I require a reindeer form for the druid 🦌

apprentice
apprentice
You are incredible!
Thank you for sticking with us and supporting us with good news.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I wonder whether motion capture is a hidden hint to a new class release in patch 9...
Since, you know, enchanted knights do not have that many motions to capture and reproduce, while the other class definitely has...

Last edited by Volsalex; 11/11/22 10:14 PM.
veteran
veteran
The mo cap chat was interesting to read, but... To the folks who are talking about the 'good news' here, help me out... what good news have we been given?

- Patch 9 is going to be a thing that happens: We knew this already.
- Patch 9 will have stuff in it: We knew this already, and it's a non-statement besides.
- There will be another PFH when it releases: Of course there is going to be.
- They're planning to release in 2023: We knew this already.
- They're testing the other unreleased Acts: You'd bloody well want to hope so by this stage, but we also knew this too, since they've had applications up for advanced testing of those acts for ages.
- Act 1 will have unreleased content, in an effort to feel new for EA testers on launch: We knew this already, it was spoken about very early on the in EA.

- They plan on doing a Community Update alongside the PHF to discuss some of the biggest community issues: This Would be excellent and promising news... if not for the fact that they've promised this same thing, or variants of it, multiple times now, in the lead up to multiple different patches, and they have not once, Ever actually delivered on doing so - we're still waiting for those from previous panels, with nothing to show for it. So what reason have we got to suppose that This time it will be different, and that This time they'll do as they promise? Evidence points to the contrary so far... I'd love to be wrong, and I hope that I am... but I'm not going to get excited over the promise of news... which is a promise that Larian have not shown themselves to be good at keeping, over the course of this EA.

Last edited by Niara; 12/11/22 12:55 AM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Niara
The mo cap chat was interesting to read, but... To the folks who are talking about the 'good news' here, help me out... what good news have we been given?

- Patch 9 will have stuff in it: We knew this already, and it's a non-statement besides.
- They're testing the other unreleased Acts: You'd bloody well want to hope so by this stage, but we also knew this too, since they've had applications up for advanced testing of those acts for ages.
- Act 1 will have unreleased content, in an effort to feel new for EA testers on launch: We knew this already, it was spoken about very early on the in EA.

- They plan on doing a Community Update alongside the PHF to discuss some of the biggest community issues: This Would be excellent and promising news... if not for the fact that they've promised this same thing, or variants of it, multiple times now, in the lead up to multiple different patches, and they have not once, Ever actually delivered on doing so - we're still waiting for those from previous panels, with nothing to show for it. So what reason have we got to suppose that This time it will be different, and that This time they'll do as they promise? Evidence points to the contrary so far... I'd love to be wrong, and I hope that I am... but I'm not going to get excited over the promise of news... which is a promise that Larian have not shown themselves to be good at keeping, over the course of this EA.

I see this announcement as a Rorschach test. It is vague enough for people to draw their own conclusion. People who are confident in the project are happy to know everything is going according to plan and people who have trust issues are projecting on it their worriness of the state of BG3 and Larian.

Last edited by snowram; 12/11/22 01:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
I see it as "I reserve judgement until I see what they actually say and do. I am still hopeful that they'll give us maybe a few more things we've discussed out here, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, the game is great. I love it still and can't wait until the full release."

veteran
veteran
@Niara you're missing the 2nd biggest piece of news from this dev blog: a rough date! Patch 9 will be in December.

And I'll just put this here
Originally Posted by Jess Larian on May 12, 2021 (hotfix #11)
We will be back soon with a larger community update, that goes into some detail about how we process & parse feedback and data we get through talking with you, and the telemetry we have in the game. ‘Til then, sit tight!
(We never got this update)

Ideally this Patch 9 PfH+Community Update will not only "go into detail about some of the most discussed topics in the community," but will also discuss a bit about *how* Larian turns such feedback into tested/implemented mechanics. Why they decided to go with X, or why not, providing info on how they made a good faith effort to accommodate various feedback requests and reasonable explanations for their final decision. I'll keep my hopes low, though.

FIX THE GOD DAMN HOTKEYS AND DUAL-WIELDING.....

STILL WAITING FOR NEW COMPANION AND CUSTOM PARTY WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER.
BECAUSE WHY FUCKING NOT???
veteran
veteran
That's fair - they do update on a vague timeline for the patch we know is coming, which we didn't have before, other than general moderately-sure speculation that it would be out before the end of the year.

S
S

i think this post means that patch 9 is a major revision with new features(even content robust), after all patch 7 and 8 emphasize in improving animation and combat.
even there is a formal inform for patch 9, patch 9 can be seen the real update since patch 6, the duration is over one year. patch 7 and 8 are transition patches.
you can read someone explains the post : https://www.shacknews.com/article/133090/baldurs-gate-3-release-date-december-update

Last edited by stevelin7; 12/11/22 11:22 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by snowram
I see this announcement as a Rorschach test. It is vague enough for people to draw their own conclusion. People who are confident in the project are happy to know everything is going according to plan and people who have trust issues are projecting on it their worriness of the state of BG3 and Larian.
That may well be the case.

As part of team “trust issues”, I find it reassuring to see Larian’s mocap facilities. They’re saying: “Relax everyone. We know we’re trying to make a 100 hour animated movie in the time it takes to make a single pixar film, but we can actually pull it off and deliver on the rest of BG3.”

It’s either that or two bears wearing hats fighting in a meadow.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
Now that you mention it, I require a reindeer form for the druid 🦌
+1!

G
addict
addict
G
So what reason have we got to suppose that This time it will be different, and that This time they'll do as they promise? Evidence points to the contrary so far... I'd love to be wrong, and I hope that I am... but I'm not going to get excited over the promise of news... which is a promise that Larian have not shown themselves to be good at keeping, over the course of this EA.

Basically. They've had so many chances to allay fears and concern about the future state of the game.

But we will see...SOON...

L
addict
addict
L
Looking forward to PFH and patch 9.
Larian - keep up the good work, cant wait for 2023 for full release!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Iirc one handed spear will be in game (could be very wrong here)… so… just take the pointy part off and bingo!
So ...

That is one thing i always missed a little in D&D...weapon speed. A guy with a dagger should be able to attack way more often that someone swinging a Maul or Greatsword. D&D just compensates it with the additional dmg for Dex (since finess was implemented) but if weapons would be
differentiated by more than dmg dice, it could actually make a difference between weapons that use the same dice.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
So ...

That is one thing i always missed a little in D&D...weapon speed. A guy with a dagger should be able to attack way more often that someone swinging a Maul or Greatsword. D&D just compensates it with the additional dmg for Dex (since finess was implemented) but if weapons would be
differentiated by more than dmg dice, it could actually make a difference between weapons that use the same dice.

Interesting. Ever actually fight someone with nerf weapons or whatever? It doesn't usually matter what size weapon you have. You look for an opening and strike. Sure, a dagger is easier when attempting a quick jab, but it's not like you usually attack multiple times compared to the person with the bigger weapon.

apprentice
apprentice
This is wonderful news! And was very happy about the paragraph that those of us who have played hundreds (ahem...thousands...) of hours will get to feel like act 1 is new! Woot woot! Thank you!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard