Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
And i mean mechanically ...
Is there any reason to keep dagger over any other weapon?
Some build, feat, or ability? Including all tabletop expansions.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
I suppose they can be thrown, as they have the thrown property. But Thrown Weapon Fighting Style, from Tasha's, is required to make a throwing build actually work.

veteran
veteran
They're one of only three finesse weapons that also have the light property, and they are the only one that can be thrown in a pinch - they're also much easier to conceal and hide than scimitars or short swords, which is, or can be, a valuable trait in non video-game settings. You trade 1 average point of damage for greater flexibility in other areas.

You don't need the Tasha style to still make use of their thrown property - my rogue often makes throws rather than melee attacks during hectic combat situations, allowing him more flexibility and options to more easily capitalise on sneak attack opportunities than if he was locked into melee-only combat; it's not an all-the-time thing, just a thing of flexibility and options, which the one less average point of damage is more than worth, in my experience.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
my rogue often makes throws rather than melee attacks during hectic combat situations, allowing him more flexibility and options to more easily capitalise on sneak attack opportunities
Cool!

But, this is one of things Rogue cant do in BG-3, right? frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Unfortunately, yes. As BG3 itself currently stands, there is no benefit or value in choosing a dagger over a scimitar or short sword, unless the dagger has an enchantment you particularly want.

Last edited by Niara; 15/11/22 11:20 AM.
veteran
veteran
Daggers are the only simple weapon with the finesse property. This lack of a martial proficiency requirement is partially why they do less damage. Most arcane spellcasters (who don't get martial weapons proficiency) will have higher Dex than Str, and thus a dagger will be the mechanically optimal choice if they somehow need to use a weapon.

veteran
veteran
Also true... for some reason my brain always thinks that short swords are simple, and so I don't think about that, but that's also a valid point.

D
addict
addict
D
Tactically, shocking grasp is better for a caster in melee range. Although I suppose that sometimes you just want to stab somebody.

Particularly useful if you are RPing as Black Mage from 8 bit theater.

Last edited by dwig; 16/11/22 01:33 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Specifically for BG3, unless Larian has changed Shadowheart's stats again, dagger is the best melee weapon for her. She can't use short sword because it's a martial weapon, and her STR is abysmal, so her starting mace is "as useful as a marzipan dildo".

Also, you can equip the dagger to the off-hand of any character who doesn't use shield or 2h weapon for any reason, and get an extra attack, however weak, right at level 1 (that however requires their main weapon to also be Light). This one isn't particularly useful in BG3 because there are many ways to use a BA here, but in the other game it is a viable approach on low levels for high-DEX non-frontliners.

old hand
old hand
For scratching the backs of uppity wizards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

stranger
stranger
Her strength bonus is only one less than her dex bonus at start, so she hits slightly better with dagger, and it does about the same damage as a mace. However, spears are a good option for her since there's a lot of magic ones early on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Spears... for some reason, I keep thinking that they require both hands.
Yes, you are right, spear would be better, as soon as you find one. At the beach, right after the fall from the ship - I don't recall any. That's where daggers come handy.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Qatseri
Her strength bonus is only one less than her dex bonus at start, so she hits slightly better with dagger, and it does about the same damage as a mace. However, spears are a good option for her since there's a lot of magic ones early on.

actually, I just realise why they give her more dex than strength, they do want her to use a spear as her weapon choice for a big reason coming in the later act 1.

veteran
veteran
Spears aren't finesse: they use Strength for to-hit and damage rolls. So SH would have a lower to-hit with a spear than with a dagger, and deal the same damage.

Ofc, as @Qatseri says, the magic properties on some spears might still make them better than magic daggers.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I hope they have some daggers with cool enchantments, because I really like them from a flavor standpoint. smile

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard