Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#834043 09/12/22 09:58 AM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Minsc notably didn't have any lines outside of grunts and straining in the new GA trailer - Anyone know if they were able to get Jim Cummings to reprise the role or have they got a new actor doing the voicework?

veteran
veteran
I am a bit worried about Minsc.

In BG1+2 he was a very iconic character.
But basically he was a walking mountain of muscles with some one liners that went into video game history "Go for the eyes Boo!!!" and a bit nuts dialogue extra.
What will it be when he gets as much backstory and dialogue like the other characters in BG3?

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
P
addict
addict
P
As far as I know, Jim Cummings was not the voice of Minsc in the Neverwinter MMO, which isn't that old, so it doesn't bode well.

veteran
veteran
But they brought him in for the Dragonspear. If my ears don't deceive me Jaheira is voiced by same actress, so unless Jim can't do it, I don't know why they wouldn't being him on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's interesting to see that according to IMDB, he also voiced Gorion, Tazok and Mulahey but all we remember him for is Minsc.

Also according to IMDB, BG3 is nowhere to be found in his 'upcoming' projects frown

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Gt27mustang
It's interesting to see that according to IMDB, he also voiced Gorion, Tazok and Mulahey but all we remember him for is Minsc.

Also according to IMDB, BG3 is nowhere to be found in his 'upcoming' projects frown

He also voiced Lord Jierdan Firkraag and-... well... The red dragon Firkraag. One of his 'annoyed' click-lines was 'Oh bother...', which was itself a reference to Jim's long history of voicing Winnie the Pooh.

After a second viewing of the trailer, though, I'm gonna take a guess at... Travis Willingham? It's a bit of a wild stab to go from grunts, though. Sadly, I haven't been able to find who voiced Minsc for Neverwinter on IMDB or through quick google searches.

old hand
old hand
I hope not.

veteran
veteran
I was wondering about this myself

I think either, they didn't want Minsc's antics deflating the tone of the trailer, or maybe Minsc's time with the Absolute has altered his character in some way, and they didn't want to spoil it.

Jim Cummings is a working actor, half his characters seem to be Minsc-like. I find it unlikely they wouldn't get him for the VO.

Last edited by Sozz; 09/12/22 04:00 PM.
veteran
veteran
I suspect you're right about them not wanting his humorous antics deflating the trailer Sozz. They clearly wanted to go for an epic tone and the reveal matched that. People here have complained about Larian's humor a good bit, so maybe they wanted to keep it straight-faced.

veteran
veteran
It seems we will learn in an hour:
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1602996777208217607?s=20&t=zw-lkojkKoOWQTZKqU1T1A

2) Who is playing Minsc? Let’s find out! 👀

I assume it is not Jim Cummings.

Last edited by Wormerine; 14/12/22 04:59 PM.
addict
Online Content
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine
2) Who is playing Minsc? Let’s find out! 👀

I assume it is not Jim Cummings.
I interpret Larian drawing attention to Minsc's voice actor as a sign it might be Jim Cummings. Why point it out if you think you'll dissapoint your audience?

Less than an hour now... and I'm out of beer!

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe they will raid Disney's VA regulars again and get Bill Farmer instead of Jim Cummings.

/jk

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
I interpret Larian drawing attention to Minsc's voice actor as a sign it might be Jim Cummings. Why point it out if you think you'll dissapoint your audience?

I just restocked. Have some whiskey and wine left as well, depending on how well or how poorly the evening will progress. wink

I feel it would be weird if they teased the person who used to play the role. Like "Find out who is playing Spider-man in the next Spider-man movie!". Uhm, the guy who played him the last time around?

I also feel it hints for the name to be of some excitement to Larian's audience (aka. not BG1&2 fans) - I doubt that Winnie the Pooh voice will raise the hype. Though I am not in touch with youth. Maybe Pooh is hip again.

Last edited by Wormerine; 14/12/22 05:23 PM.
D
addict
addict
D

I just restocked. Have some whiskey and wine left as well, depending on how well or how poorly the evening will progress. wink

I feel it would be weird if they teased the person who used to play the role. Like "Find out who is playing Spider-man in the next Spider-man movie!". Uhm, the guy who played him the last time around?

I also feel it hints for the name to be of some excitement to Larian's audience (aka. not BG1&2 fans) - I doubt that Winnie the Pooh voice will raise the hype. Though I am not in touch with youth. Maybe Pooh is hip again.

Pooh has that Xi Jingping thing going, so he's actually subversive now.

veteran
veteran

I think the fact that he hasn't played the role in decades does allow for some latitude in them teasing him. If the last Spider-man movie had been almost two decades ago, then getting the original star back would feel like a bigger deal.

addict
Online Content
addict
I wonder which is the happy drink. I suppose it's the whiskey if it came in a box, or the wine if that didn't.

That was the hook of an entire Spiderman movie! And a feature of every modern Star Wars movie! Whether or not you can see the appeal, surely you've noticed "we got the old actor(s) back" has always been a selling point.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran
I wonder which is the happy drink. I suppose it's the whiskey if it came in a box, or the wine if that didn't.
Ha! Good question. Honestly, unfortunately both are sad drinks quality wise. Wine is open, so I will probably start with that.

That was the hook of an entire Spiderman movie! And a feature of every modern Star Wars movie! Whether or not you can see the appeal, surely you've noticed "we got the old actor(s) back" has always been a selling point.
Fair enough. We will see soon enough. I will still will be surprised if it will turn out to be Jim though. Like if it was him, I feel they would include an iconic line at the end of the last trailer. To reveal Minsc, and then keep a secret to who is voicing him just feels off.

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I think the fact that he hasn't played the role in decades does allow for some latitude in them teasing him. If the last Spider-man movie had been almost two decades ago, then getting the original star back would feel like a bigger deal.
Huh, yeah I know I should have used a different example - I just couldn't be asked to think of one. How about Indiana Jones. After all last Indiana movie was released in 89 silence

Last edited by Wormerine; 14/12/22 06:01 PM.
D
addict
addict
D
Bringing back the original Spiderman actor (or one of them) would mean that for once we are not getting the origin story again. That would be a HUGE selling point!

veteran
veteran
Matt Mercer. I regret not predicting it will be someone from critical role. I can't hate on Matt, so well played Larian.

enthusiast
enthusiast
MAATTTTTTTTT MEEERRRCEERRRR!!!!!!!!! I love that they included him. Critical Role is such a vital part of DnD 5e.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard