Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
addict
Ah, a pleasure to meet someone with similar taste 😄 I'm actually with you on the Celestial Warlock. It's also up there on the list of sub-classes that I've an interest into.

Originally Posted by Wynne
I like throwing out some reliable DPS, but I also enjoy healing. "Offer one hand, arm the other" is my personal motto.
A good motto! And yes, healing or most sort of support are nice :p

That being said, I'm currently making a build for an Archfey Warlock...and, oh my, I love it 💚!!! I hope Larian implements it, and implements it well : meaning with the Pact of the Tome, Book of Ancient Secrets, proper rituals and if they make us choose a patron, allows us to pick a non-evil one (Neutral will do).

S
addict
addict
S
I used to be excited for the possible implementation of non-PHB subclasses, in particular Hexblade had me theorycrafting possible multiclass synergies. As EA progressed the interest in D&D 5e has vanished as it became obvious strategizing ways to exploit Larian's excessive and unbalanced magic items is a lot more impactful.

How to maximize the effectiveness of items such as the Circlet of Flame/Helmet of Grit will be much more gameplay defining than any subclass/ability focus. Sadly.

stranger
stranger
People are severely underestimating how cool the Echo Knight is laugh

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question and he'll look for his own answers."
— Kvothe, The Name Of The Wind
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
For those that have played Skyrim moded, you may or may not know that Bethesda added "Content Club" to try and get more revenue from others efforts. Sure content creators are compensated, but the regular updates keep breaking the mods of individuals who have not only worked for free, but may arguably be more responsible for Skyrim's ongoing success than Bethesda themselves. This did not go over well with these talented individuals. Why would you mistreat and discourage your unpaid "partners".

The relevance here is that I have been able to play test many of these very same sub-classes with great success using Nexus.

Each patch breaks these mods, no avoiding this (or is there?).

Options to consider:

1. Supply content creators with a developer's patch kit prior to each update (preview content, tools, and even instructional videos), to make their life easier and to try and find a solution to avoid broken saves.

2. Similar to 1, offer commands to make procedure calls to the game engine itself, eliminating the need to update mods in most cases (if this is possible).

3. At each patch, consider which mods would benefit the game and offer the coders compensation to integrate their efforts into the said patch.

*Thinking sub-classes and feats off the top of my head...If they would even want to part with their work*

Bottom-line: Bird in the hand.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Quote:

In the end, Celestial Warlock is my #1 most desired subclass hands down, but I do very much like Archfey as well, and played one for years. Fiend, Hexblade, and GOO just all seem like such bad bargains--making a pact with a celestial or fey makes so much more sense to me. It would also give the PC something to talk about if Wyll is also in the party. Who you would make a deal with says a lot about a person already.

Celestial and Feylocks do make the most sense for players of conscience and are fun. (Still kicking around a Bear-Barian / Celestial Chainlock as a "Shaman" ...Pseudo-dragon would be nice).

GOO can also make sense if you are creative in choosing a "powerful ancient patron" other than Cthulhu...never made one.

For the longest time Hexblade had not even a hint of what patron applied. I always made up one that was not evil (Some assembly required).

You probably know about this mod Celestial Warlock.

Review

Mods have made BG3 fun for me...I hope Larian gives them love and nourishes them like houseplants.

addict
addict
None of those listed by the OP.

What I'd want:

Swashbuckler (rogue, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide)

College of Swords (bard)

Grave domain (cleric, Xanathar's ?)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Van'tal
For the longest time Hexblade had not even a hint of what patron applied. I always made up one that was not evil (Some assembly required).

From my understanding, the Hexblade patron is typically some being from the Shadowfell plane. The Shadowfell is associated with darkness or death, but it's a neutral plane, so the entity you make your bargain with could just be neutral and not evil.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon
On Hexblade: Wyll's ability score distribution doesn't fit the character, unless they either make him a hexblade or fold Hex Warrior into Pact of the Blade. In which case hexblade becomes redundant.

I think they are going to modify Pact of the Blade. It's such a trash pact boon that doesn't really mean anything to anyone other than hexblades. Also putting "charisma is your attack stat + medium armor" behind a level 3 hurdle makes it much harder to do the exceedingly common Paladin X/ Warlock 1 hexadin build. In addition to all of that, the lore very clearly established Wyll's Patron as a fiend and not a talking weapon. That said, Critical Role made Fjord's patron a leviathan, but he was still a hexblade, so who's to say what sort of limitations Larian would take seriously.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by AndreaColombo
People are severely underestimating how cool the Echo Knight is laugh
No, I think people realise how difficult it's vague wording makes it for the DM to adjudicate.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by BROttorney
On Hexblade: Wyll's ability score distribution doesn't fit the character, unless they either make him a hexblade or fold Hex Warrior into Pact of the Blade. In which case hexblade becomes redundant.

I think they are going to modify Pact of the Blade.
I agree, I think this is quite a likely implementation of pact of the blade. I can't see them providing you with a physical item.

It's such a trash pact boon that doesn't really mean anything to anyone other than hexblades. Also putting "charisma is your attack stat + medium armor" behind a level 3 hurdle makes it much harder to do the exceedingly common Paladin X/ Warlock 1 hexadin build.
I think it's extremely unlikely multiclassing will make it into BG3.

In addition to all of that, the lore very clearly established Wyll's Patron as a fiend and not a talking weapon. That said, Critical Role made Fjord's patron a leviathan, but he was still a hexblade, so who's to say what sort of limitations Larian would take seriously.

Larian seem to favour standard PHB fluff over the "refluff it how you like" approach that WotC take.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

From my understanding, the Hexblade patron is typically some being from the Shadowfell plane. The Shadowfell is associated with darkness or death, but it's a neutral plane, so the entity you make your bargain with could just be neutral and not evil.
The Raven Queen is the suggested patron. But it looks like the Raven Queen aint in BG3.

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by JackTheReaper
I just wish for the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer. It does, in fact, suit the narrative very well laugh
Definitely.

"Yesterday I was a commoner, today I'm blowing stuff up with my brain!"

enthusiast
enthusiast
[quote=BROttorney][quote=FrostyFardragon]

Multiclassing has been confirmed by Larian as available in the full release following 5e rules...

https://imgur.com/Fu96H7s

Last edited by Elessaria666; 24/12/22 06:30 PM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
[quote=BROttorney][quote=FrostyFardragon]

Multiclassing has been confirmed by Larian as available in the full release following 5e rules...

https://imgur.com/Fu96H7s

Jaheira is a fighter / Druid.

old hand
old hand
That's assuming multiclassing is still planned for release and she still keeps her fighter/druid as a result of that. If multiclassing doesn't make it in time and ends up being held off for an inevitable definitive edition release, we're most likely going to see Jaehira re-purposed to being a full Druid first.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

Yes...they finally broke silence on this, but had not as yet favored the Raven Queen when I made my patron.

My Patron was a Chaotic Good Baelnorn who had been trapped in the Shadowfell and had sent me to confront Strahd.

Srinshee was a famous Baelnorn

~Curse of Strahd campaign.

Last edited by Van'tal; 24/12/22 08:23 PM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
That's assuming multiclassing is still planned for release and she still keeps her fighter/druid as a result of that. If multiclassing doesn't make it in time and ends up being held off for an inevitable definitive edition release, we're most likely going to see Jaehira re-purposed to being a full Druid first.

Yes I am assuming they keep their word...is this foolish?

Wiki:

BG3 Early Access Warning: Not all Classes will be available at the start of early access, but all classes will be in the game at launch of the full game. Multiclassing is not available on release of the early access version.

Originally posted by magickblog:
Multiclass probably won't be around during ea. After all, we only have a level cap of four now.

I would have to really dig, but I recall that they explicitly said that it will be there.

stranger
stranger
Water domain cleric, definitely.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Multiclassing as feature shouldn't be a big deal to implement. It has a simple set of rules as D&D doesn't have any crazy math or restrictions in the background or even complicated rules, so this shouldn't be a big deal to implent on code side. It will require a rework of the level up UI, but that's about it as long as they did some minimal ground work required to separate spells (in case player wants to replace them on level up).

There are a couple of reasons why they most likely didn't bother with multiclassing:
1. Additional work for UI-team
2. If you want to test classes and their functions and balance, its better to gain player experience with that class without mixing it up with other classes
3. It reduces bugs you have to deal with as player test it
4. It really doesn't pay off for levels 1-4 and most don't even multiclass until they passed level 5 due to multiattack and level 3 spells.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by biomag
4. It really doesn't pay off for levels 1-4 and most don't even multiclass until they passed level 5 due to multiattack and level 3 spells.
Nah I would instantly choose my second class at Level 2 for RP and more dialogue options! wink

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 25/12/22 09:45 AM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard