Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Aazo Offline OP
OP Offline
Do you like it, or not? I am on the Hate side myself...

Reason: I don't care for it as it breaks immersion of my thief trying to be stealthy while making a quiet clean kill and move on to next target (ie re-stealth after assassination). I don't want a silly juvenile animation of my character doing:" <jump in the air, give yourself away to all your enemy's, and visually shout out >"hey I am here come look at my fancy moves". The same goes for the ranged sneak attack... where your character jumps in the air to shoot. I seriously hope Larian offers us an option to NOT use this animation (Please Larian?). Especially if they bring in the Assassin sub for Rogue, as this is so out of place for that style of character.

Your thoughts?

G
addict
addict
G
I haven't seen it. Can you post example?

old hand
old hand
It makes at least some sense in melee as a sort of unexpected maneuver but the ranged attack looks silly af.

Aazo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by gaymer
I haven't seen it. Can you post example?

I don't have the software to shoot a video of it, you have to see the full action to see how ludicrous they look.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
No strong feelings one way or another ... but in closer to love than hate.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
E
E
I personally think it's quite rediculous but I'm sure that's no surprise to some of you. I totally agree with the way Aazo put it :" <jump in the air, give yourself away to all your enemy's, and visually shout out >"hey I am here come look at my fancy moves"

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am not a fan either. Why would someone hop while using a bow/crossbow? Honestly, I was wondering what the hell Astarion was even doing.

veteran
veteran
I am not a fan. Thematically it would break stealth to sneak attack by hopping straight into the air and firing a crossbow, which would be wildly inaccurate if you were jumping and firing at the same time. Takes some of the gravitas out of the move when you hop into the air like that.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
I haven’t noticed, but I had Astarion for but a brief moment. will keep an eye for it when I play again.

veteran
veteran
I haven't played a Rogue because there isn't a playable one available but flashy sneak attacks and jumping in the air sound really dumb.

The coolness factor comes from professional silent stealthy action.

G
addict
addict
G
I was finally able to see this in some footage. I actually don't mind the melee animation, especially from behind. It looks like a nasty backstab.

I could do without the excessive JUMP, but I like the takeback and the driving of the weapon down.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
It gets a “nope” from me, though it’s not a hill I’d die on.

I agree it’s just daft for ranged attacks. I’m sure hopping like that would muck up your aim!

And while the melee version is much better, it gives me more an explosive RAAAAWR vibe than sneaky blade through the vitals.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Aazo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
It gets a “nope” from me, though it’s not a hill I’d die on.

I agree it’s just daft for ranged attacks. I’m sure hopping like that would muck up your aim!

And while the melee version is much better, it gives me more an explosive RAAAAWR vibe than sneaky blade through the vitals.

Exactly... it's like they made it over the top, when it should be a swift stealthy blade stuck in between the ribs... with maybe a little twist at the end.

addict
addict
sneak attack shouldn't even be a active skill lol so of course i hate it. But because of how it works and not because how it looks.

Not that i've seen the new animation. i just looked if they made it into a reaction and they didn't so i didn't even bother clicking it biggest let down of the patch for sure..

Last edited by Lastman; 28/12/22 08:24 AM.
Not a huge fan of current Sneak Attack. It shouldn't be a separate action, but instead be automatically applied if the conditions are met and be possible to apply on bonus action attacks as well as main action attacks, just like tabletop. Just make it a toggle so we can choose to not use it if we wish.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Lastman
sneak attack shouldn't even be a active skill

Originally Posted by TomReneth
Not a huge fan of current Sneak Attack. It shouldn't be a separate action, but instead be automatically applied if the conditions are met and be possible to apply on bonus action attacks as well as main action attacks, just like tabletop. Just make it a toggle so we can choose to not use it if we wish.

Well, I agree, but this has been discussed elsewhere (eg https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=836824) so probably best not to get into it here as well, given the topic here is the new animation rather than the mechanic.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Well, all i'm saying is if they can keep the animation while the skill is passive like smite by all means keep the Animation if not i don't care about it. i want functionality of it way more.

Aazo Offline OP
OP Offline
I would rather they modify or eliminate the animation. And as for modify, make it more stealthy, and less "flashy"... as flashy attention getting does not fit with a stealth action which for most would be to not gather further attention but to minimize it.

addict
addict
well yeah sneaky attack makes sense... and having a sneak kill animation would be cool as well really hush hush if your sneak attack kills off the target in one go... in general i miss DA:O kill animations.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Aazo
I would rather they modify or eliminate the animation. And as for modify, make it more stealthy, and less "flashy"... as flashy attention getting does not fit with a stealth action which for most would be to not gather further attention but to minimize it.

'Flashy attention getting' is actually quite a good description of BG3 as a whole. Haven't seen the animations but a jumping ranged sneak attack sounds patently ridiculous. I just don't understand Larian's apparent obsession with turning things up to 11 when it would often be far better served with some understatement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard