Print Thread
Page 26 of 30 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
Starfield releasing right after BG3 is the worst.

Todd Howard a big poop, yo.
Irrelevant to me personally, but I wonder if it will pressure Larian to move the date.

I so wonder however, how much overlap there will be. Good, bad or mediocre, Starfield is bound to dominate the conversation, so it could easily bury Baldur's Gate3 regardless of each game's quality.

Well, unless Starfield turns out another Fallout76 and people will flock to BG3 go spite Bethesda, like they did with Outer Worlds.

I'll be playing both of them. My most anticipated games left that could realistically come out in 2023 (in order) are:

1. Baldur's Gate 3
2. Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
3. Starfield
4. Resident Evil 4 Remake
5. Diablo 4

I didn't do much gaming in 2023, so it is disappointing that two of the top three this year for me are coming out right next to one another. I'll be prioritizing BG3 given that I expect it to be a much more polished, finished and well cared for product upon release. I'll avoid any and all Starfield stuff for a couple months, let patches get tossed in and some basic mods to be up - then dive in.

Z
addict
addict
Z
Pathfinder wrath of the righteous with the new shifter class.
I just wish it would look like bg3. Omg it would be the perfect game for me.
Honestly I had the lamp I whould with larian should do all old game's with this engine. Bg1-2 ice wind 1-2 plane escape nwn1-2 pillars 1-2 temple of elemental evil eye of the beholder ect....

veteran
veteran
I so wonder however, how much overlap there will be. Good, bad or mediocre, Starfield is bound to dominate the conversation, so it could easily bury Baldur's Gate3 regardless of each game's quality.
I prefer games that are more story- and character-focused than most of Bethesda's games. It seems like a lot of people like big, open-world exploration games, though, so Starfield will probably do well. After the bugs have been fixed and depending on reviews, I might try it on gamepass. PC gamepass is $10 a month, so at least I won't have spent a lot if I don't finish it. Of course, BG3 will be my focus when the full game launches!!!

Last edited by Icelyn; 09/03/23 01:52 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
Starfield releasing right after BG3 is the worst.

Todd Howard a big poop, yo.
Irrelevant to me personally, but I wonder if it will pressure Larian to move the date.

Well, unless Starfield turns out another Fallout76 and people will flock to BG3 go spite Bethesda, like they did with Outer Worlds.
Yeah... it's not great for an RPG to be releasing within days of the next major release from the most successful RPG company. I'd push the release date back a week or two so the game can be the dominant RPG for a while.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
Starfield will release one week after BG3, what an unfortunate timing.
Not for me. smile

I'm super-excited about Starfield. It will be my very first sci-fi RPG. It will also be the very first video game I have ever pre-ordered. And by contrast, I don't expect to get to play BG3 until I can buy it on sale because I cannot justify paying full price for it given the many things about it I don't like, including especially its entire combat system.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Worst part so far: Traveling on the map + resting system + encumbrance. Anytime you want to go anywhere, you have to travel on a map with lots of random encounters. You also often need to rest when traveling on the map, and of course, resting has random encounters, too! This is all before you can even start a quest. You can build some fast travel teleportation circles, but they take forever to build in multiple places and also have a cooldown. Once when I was leaving an area, it said I couldn't leave unless I dropped some loot!
Sounds very much like Kingmaker. I think I wouldn't mind world map that much in that game, if locations and quests were more meaty. It was a lot of loadscreens and slogging back and forth on the world map in that game.
It was @Icelyn who said this, though I largely concur. smile

Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Worst part so far: Traveling on the map + resting system + encumbrance. Anytime you want to go anywhere, you have to travel on a map with lots of random encounters. You also often need to rest when traveling on the map, and of course, resting has random encounters, too! This is all before you can even start a quest. You can build some fast travel teleportation circles, but they take forever to build in multiple places and also have a cooldown. Once when I was leaving an area, it said I couldn't leave unless I dropped some loot!
Sounds very much like Kingmaker. I think I wouldn't mind world map that much in that game, if locations and quests were more meaty. It was a lot of loadscreens and slogging back and forth on the world map in that game.

Give everyone an animal companion and the weight frustrations go away. I give Seelah a level of beast rider right away.

Building teleportation circles reduces frustrations about map travel
Yes! Animal companions have very high strength, and do count towards the party for carrying capacity.

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I think WotR is a brilliant game. I don't min-max and just keep the difficulty low, it's perfect. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to complain about the difficulty of the game when it offers the amount of granular control that it does. It's one of the best games I've ever played, cannot reccomend it enough.
Right on!! smile

veteran
veteran
I cant wait for Starfield to be out ...
Even tho only bcs then hopefully half youtube channels i watch stop screaming about how they cant wait for Starfield to be out. -_-

Its the same story as Elden Ring ...
Yeah, i get it it was big game, everyone was exited about it, but sometimes it felt like there was nothing else during that time. :-/

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Which reminds me that Armored Core 6 is supposed to release in September as well.

I’m starting to get conflicting feelings between “Can’t freaking wait” and “Dear god, where I’ll find the time”.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
The question shouldn't be whether BG3 should move its full release date, it should be whether Starfield will end up delayed again, or will release so broken that its real launch is like 1-2 months afterwards, as is the usual case with recent western RPGs by the big developers.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 10/03/23 07:36 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
The question shouldn't be whether BG3 should move its full release date, it should be whether Starfield will end up delayed again, or will release so broken that its real launch is like 1-2 months afterwards, as is the usual case with recent western RPGs by the big developers.
When any game is a bit bugged there is an outcry for months. When a Bethesda game is absolutely broken, people shrug and say that mods will fix it. Starfield will be no exception.

W
veteran
veteran
W
When any game is a bit bugged there is an outcry for months. When a Bethesda game is absolutely broken, people shrug and say that mods will fix it. Starfield will be no exception.

Maybe. I read a few months ago that the game was in a pretty bad state but MS was pushing Bethesda to release anyway. Hopefully the extra time is enough, but MS is definitely a new factor in the Bethesda-jank equation.

While it sold well and a decent reception, Fallout 4 did rub a lot of fans the wrong way and Fallout76 was heavily derided, so I’m interested in seeing how much the tolerance of the fans can be stretched.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Maybe. I read a few months ago that the game was in a pretty bad state but MS was pushing Bethesda to release anyway. Hopefully the extra time is enough, but MS is definitely a new factor in the Bethesda-jank equation.

While it sold well and a decent reception, Fallout 4 did rub a lot of fans the wrong way and Fallout76 was heavily derided, so I’m interested in seeing how much the tolerance of the fans can be stretched.

I was never a big Skyrim fan and I know that is Bethesda's calling card. I have always loved the Fallout IP from the original games on - until Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. I personally found Fallout 4 to be a debacle on many levels - storytelling, settlements, game pacing, etc. I never played Far Harbor, but I heard it is a return to form for Bethesda and that guy is now working on Starfield's story. Fallout 76 was a disaster that makes the failed Cyberpunk launch look like it wasn't a big deal - but people don't remember that one as much as Cyberpunk because of what it was... a multiplayer game made by a company not known for them, stuffed into the engine of a single player game and rushed out by a studio that isn't even the studio that makes the games people love from the dev.

I'll be playing Starfield because I think it could be really great. They have certainly put enough time into it for it to be something very special. Fallout 4 had some great parts and elements to it - it just wasn't put together properly... and I think the whole "mods will fix it" mentality is just pathetic. Most content mods (not all of them) always feel like janky A or AA content thrown into a high quality AAA production to me. Some exceptions would be the bug fixing 'mods' and some of the UI/visual overhauls.

So my approach is going to be to play Baldur's Gate 3 when it releases (unless it is delayed) because I trust Larian more and hope they can get over the late act issues they ran into with DOS2. I'll just avoid any and all Starfield news, spoilers, etc. and play it a few months in after Bethesda (and the community via things like the unofficial patch) fix what will likely be a disaster of a launch.

W
veteran
veteran
W
I concur with a lot of what you said. I’m also almost certainly going to play Starfield. It would need to be an Anthem level disaster for me not to. But I think I’ll also wait a bit rather than rushing to play it at launch. After Fallout 4, my trust in Bethesda has diminished quite a bit.

veteran
veteran
Oh, don't worry. Bg3 will have bugs in spades as well.

I'm not even particularly mad about it, it's just how it goes since the dawn of the genre. These long and complex RPGs have too many permutations, which makes basically impossible to track, isolate and solve every single fringe case.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
The only thing that would stop me from playing Starfield is if they tried to make it a live service game.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Tuco
Oh, don't worry. Bg3 will have bugs in spades as well.

I'm not even particularly mad about it, it's just how it goes since the dawn of the genre. These long and complex RPGs have too many permutations, which makes basically impossible to track, isolate and solve every single fringe case.
Same, I played WotR at release so I know how bad it can be. Bethesda games on the other side have way less permutations so their bugs are less forgivable to me. It isn't like a game like this can't be bug free, Breath of the wild was pretty much flawless at release.

veteran
veteran
Im exited for Starfield too but I have to think that it probably won’t be worth the price of admission until months after release. Also by that time it’ll be on sale and the beginnings of the worthwhile mods will start to come out.

I’ll have to wait to hear how playable it is when it comes out to decide

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
The only thing that would stop me from playing Starfield is if they tried to make it a live service game.

Luckily, it seems that trend is on its way out. That’s a fad in game development that has run its course, I think. The overwhelming negative reaction to Suicide Squad has to be giving developers pause.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Starfield looks so sci-fi generic, I don't know why people are so looking forward to it. It has the worst things of all the other sci fi games and combat is super boring and unimpactful.

Shooters and first person shooters are for kids, BG3 is targeted for another more mature audience.

Convenient, isn't it that BG3 will release on PS5 a week before the release of Xbox exclusive Starfield?! Also, since you can play BG3 now, I'd expect there to be a fair number of folks who will choose to get a head start on character planning (and access to the Digital Deluxe Edition) by buying BG3 while they wait for the full release of both games.

Personally, I'll most likely complete my first playthrough of BG3 and then buy Starfield (both on PC).

Page 26 of 30 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard