Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
I do not know what you did, but returning to test the game, I entered the catacombs right on the beech beside where you land after the ship. I intentionally set of the bombs as they are a good way to test how the game manages to handle memory utilization and CPU loads as they are procedurally generated every few rounds, then they explode etc etc. On patch 8, i was getting around 90 FPS, on return to patch 9, the same place HARD LOCKED MY PC after 20 seconds, and i was at 3-15 fps [according to Radeon Software]. This is completely unacceptable. Before patch 10 comes out, you folks need to go back and fix these issues. Every single patch its gotten worse. Patch 7 i was at 140 fps doing the same identical test with identical settings.

RX 5700 DD Ultra [Radeon software Version 22.11.2- Most up to date] No overclock
Install GOG
2700X AMD 3.74GHz
16 GB of 2133 DIMM

At the point of crash my PC was only using 40% of my CPU.

Hopefully this feedback is useful.

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Out of interest, what OS are you on and do you get the FPS drop with Vulkan, DX11 or both?

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
A
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
A
I am using Windows 10 Inactivated. I am using DX11. Vulkan usually runs much worse for me then DX11. Also not sure why 11 is the only option, new graphics cards require 12+ as we are in 2023 not 2018.

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by AusarViled
I am using Windows 10 Inactivated. I am using DX11. Vulkan usually runs much worse for me then DX11. Also not sure why 11 is the only option, new graphics cards require 12+ as we are in 2023 not 2018.

Ah thanks. Sorry that I can't help you. I was getting terrible framerates (~5fps) with Windows 11 and DX11, but it was fine with Vulkan. But sounds like your issue is different.

When I was trying to diagnose my issue, I emailed Larian support who sent me the response included in spoiler tags below. It turned out my problem was something entirely different (to do with some Windows 11 setting to enable streaming) but thought I'd paste their suggestions here on the offchance there's anything that might be helpful for you.

Of course, game optimisation is usually one of the last things that happens before release, so we can hopefully expect the full release to be smoother, but I hope you can at least make the game playable in the interim!

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game? Firewalls can cause conflicts (generally on startup or loading screens) and overlays from graphics tweaking/monitoring programs or chat programs can also cause issues.
Citrix Workspace, for example, has been reported to cause performance problems in various games, in particular with DirectX 11.

Try lowering the graphics settings and resolution, or switching to Windowed or Fake Fullscreen display mode, to see if that helps. It shouldn't be necessary on a 3050 Ti, but if or how much the FPS varies from resolution and settings changes could help identify the cause of the problem.
If the monitor refresh rate is higher than 60, try setting an FPS cap in the game options for 60.

Double check your monitor's refresh rate. One person reported that their monitor getting reset to a value lower than the game was configured to run caused performance problems, until they noticed the change and fixed the monitor's setting.

Try exiting out of the Steam client, and starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Baldurs Gate 3\bin' folder, by right clicking the executable (bg3.exe for Vulkan, or bg3_dx11.exe) and running as administrator.
Try right clicking the executable, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab and check off the 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' option (set it to Application), run as administrator and disable fullscreen optimization, and maybe set a Win 7 or 8 compatibility mode. In Windows 7, check off the option to 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings', disable desktop composition and run as administrator.

Try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on the game and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Files...' button.
With the GOG version, in the (optional) Galaxy client, select the game, then the settings icon at the top right (beside the Play button) and under Manage Installation select 'Verify / Repair'.

Check for updated graphics drivers, and Windows updates in general.

Try doing a clean boot and then test the game. Click Start, or hit WinKey-R, type in msconfig and hit enter; in the General tab, click Selective Startup, uncheck Load startup items (if required) and leave Load system services and Use original boot configuration options checked. Next, click on the Services tab, check the box to Hide all Microsoft services, then click the Disable All button (maybe make a note of which are currently enabled/disabled), then click OK and reboot the computer.
Run msconfig again to switch back to the normal boot configuration.

Try creating a new Windows administrator user account, switch to that account and try starting the game from there, directly from the executable.

Try resetting your graphics driver's 3D settings to default (right click an open area of the desktop to start the nvidia Control Panel).

Make sure the Virtual Memory setting in Windows is set to automatic / system managed, rather than being disabled or set to a fixed size. To check or change virtual memory settings:

Win 7/8:
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/co...-performace-configuring-the-paging-file/

Win 10:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2864547/manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows.html

For Windows 10, you may be able to free up a noticeable amount of idle memory usage by opening the 'Notifications & actions' section of the system Settings (in the task bar search box start typing 'notifications'), unchecking options there (especially 'Get tips, tricks and suggestions as you use Windows' and 'Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows') and reboot.

You could try a clean re-install of the graphic card drivers, or do a clean uninstall and try installing older drivers, to see if that makes a difference. See either of the following, for example:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_3.html

If that doesn't help, please reply with a dxdiag report (WinKey-R, type in dxdiag and hit enter, then when it finishes loading click on the 'Save All Information...' button and save the report somewhere handy). Also check the '..\Baldurs Gate 3\bin' install folder for the gold.log file to include.

Also please open the Start menu (or WinKey+S), type cmd then right click 'Command Prompt' in the search results and select 'Run as administrator'. At the command prompt, type the following command (copy and right click to paste into the window) and reply with the file it creates on the Windows Desktop.
vulkaninfo > %UserProfile%\Desktop\vulkaninfo.txt

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"

Link Copied to Clipboard