Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#840447 08/01/23 02:47 PM
OP Offline
there are lots of threads about various camera problems. and while they obviously need fixing, i want to suggest a new camera mode

i want a proper 3rd person mode during exploration. Why?

1. the detalization of this game is simply amazing. if you look closer to leather armor, for example, you can even see stitches! So why do all this amazing work, if we can't actually see it outside level up screen and some cut scenes?
2. The game already has good skyboxes and ambient fog, all these things aren't really important for top-down perspective.
3. it would make your gameplay more diverse. exploration and combat would be two separate parts(and with slow tactical combat it is great in my opinion).
4. Going into a cut scene would be more natural from 3rd person, because cut scenes are directed in action-rpg-type style, so for me this constant up and down jumping(cut scene - camera is closer to characters, gameplay - camera flies to the sky) feels awkward

my idea for implementation is this:

while exploring you have two modes. Default(current one) and 3rd person. When you press a certain button, camera slides at you and is fixed on your chosen character. the control scheme also changes to WASD for movement and mouse to look around. When you encounter a fight, camera just slides back to cRPG view

P.S. here is a video that resembles some of my ideas(and proves that there are skyboxes). look at 0:28, how much more cooler the game feels with this camera

Last edited by mercurial_ann; 08/01/23 03:09 PM.

add hexblade warlock, pls
veteran
veteran
+1

S
stranger
stranger
S
+1

S
old hand
old hand
S
+3000

G
addict
addict
G
+1

S
stranger
stranger
S
+1

addict
addict
Yep

S
S
So, a photo mode?

veteran
veteran
Camera needs to go down to eye level so we at least see what the characters see. And we see the horizon / heads of statues / treelines / buildings etc. It's really frustrating there is a gorgeous 3D world around you but you simply can't look at it.

addict
addict
+1 as always all this was asked already, camera is horrible, i would say indoors, caves and houses etc are the worst.

Sometimes you can get this huge zoom out bug that lets you zoom out like that looks cool and it runs just fine. but so far it's only a bug.

Lastman #840934 12/01/23 10:56 AM
OP Offline
actually my very first post on this forum was about camera) but i think it's important to bring up problems once in a while, maybe it will influence the devs

add hexblade warlock, pls

Link Copied to Clipboard