Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#843762 05/02/23 03:52 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
In my current playthrough I had Shadowheart casting Owl's Wisdom on my character to help with passive Perception checks (I hate missing things) and my party was hit with Grease. Shadowheart failed the Dexterity check and instantly lost Concentration? As far as I'm aware that is absolutely not supposed to happen as per 5e rules, which state falling Prone doesn't cause loss of Concentration - but that a DM might feel the circumstances merit a Concentration check. Even if you interpret this as applicable, surely that means a fresh Constitution check should be applied to see if Concentration is lost, not have it be instant and guaranteed? Otherwise that seems like a ridiculously powerful mechanic to be abused by players and the AI...

Last edited by Elessaria666; 05/02/23 03:53 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
In my current playthrough I had Shadowheart casting Owl's Wisdom on my character to help with passive Perception checks (I hate missing things) and my party was hit with Grease. Shadowheart failed the Dexterity check and instantly lost Concentration? As far as I'm aware that is absolutely not supposed to happen as per 5e rules, which state falling Prone doesn't cause loss of Concentration - but that a DM might feel the circumstances merit a Concentration check. Even if you interpret this as applicable, surely that means a fresh Constitution check should be applied to see if Concentration is lost, not have it be instant and guaranteed? Otherwise that seems like a ridiculously powerful mechanic to be abused by players and the AI...

I feel like I’ve seen this mentioned as a bug in some thread before, perhaps by Niara? I’ll try find it.

EDIT Ah yes, here we go: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=837531#Post837531

Last edited by The_Red_Queen; 05/02/23 04:07 PM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Currently, it does feel like characters could lose concentration just because they ate too much spicy food.

Threads about the topic with some explanation about how it should work and how it currently works in BG3 :
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=837463#Post837463
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=773359#Post773359

Some quotes from Niara from those threads :
Originally Posted by Niara
(...)
Concentration is perfectly sensible mechanic that tracks in universe as well as systematically - granted some spells should not be concentration when they are, and other should be when they aren't; the system isn't perfect, but in general the concentration mechanic exists for a valid reason and does its job. In Larian's game, however, they've bombarded players with situations that force many, many more concentration checks than should normally come into play, and also created unavoidable condition infliction that automatically breaks your concentration - as opposed to a normal game of D&D where you might make one, maybe two concentration checks between one turn and the next, IF you're actively being harried. In BG3 you'll often have to make several successive concentration checks in a row, or just get handed an auto-fail that had no chance of not breaking your concentration automatically... The game is tailored strongly to make people hate the concentration mechanic and think that it's bad, because it's extremely difficult and often impossible to maintain your concentration for any useful amount of turns at all.

Originally Posted by Niara
Going prone breaking concentration is still in BG3 because falling prone inflicts you with 'unconscious' which is ridiculous. Unless they fix the mess with status conditions, this isn't likely to change - and it means that right now in bg3, a goblin over the other side of the camp, can shoot at you with disadvantage from long range, roll a natural 1, miss you entirely, and STILL break your concentration because they used one of their magic arrows that still knocks you down even on a miss. How they thought that giving common enemies a *literally guaranteed* way of breaking your concentration whenever they want was a good idea is beyond most people here.

Edit : Ok I swear I wrote this before seeing @The_Red_Queen edits 😅

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
Edit : Ok I swear I wrote this before seeing @The_Red_Queen edits 😅

hahaha We do keep doing this!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Lol, well thanks all the same.XD

Link Copied to Clipboard