Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I downloaded Baldur's Gate 3 from steam for my Macbook M1 but the game is won't launch. Game icon on the bar is bouncing forever but game is not opening.

I use an external HDD as game location because Mac's internal storage is 256 GB and nearly full.

I found some topic for similar reason but not recent one, people had this problem 1-2 years before.

One of these solutions on Larian forums says: "Download patches" but download speed is really slow for patch 8 and 9. Seems like it's gonna take 1 day to me .

Is there anyone playing BG3 on M1 Macbook nowadays. Maybe some advice, i don't want to wait the download all day long for nothing.

Last edited by BurakColak1991; 05/03/23 06:44 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I do not have (or I have but old). From Windows PC perspective external HDD sounds horrible idea. This game seems quite "storage heavy".

Only way I could see utulizing external drive would be some kind of external SSD utilizing fastest connections available meaning at least thunderbolt 3.

That said I do not know if that is reson for your issues. It just "feels" very difficult choice to run this game.

We are all heroes, you and Boo and I! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
veteran
veteran
Running any software from external drives is a bad idea but it's the 8g of Ram that's killing you

Forget about playing any game on such a system

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
L
stranger
stranger
L
I've uninstall the game month ago, and reinstall it for trying patch 9 today, on my macbook air m1 8gb. No prob for me, from the launch to FPS in-game. Downgrade to 1440x900 without external monitor for 60fps is ok for the eyes on a 13" screen. Pluged to an external screen, in 1080p my 8gb ram still run the game with 40 fps and suffer sometime fps drop yes(25 / 30fps for some sec), but still playable.

The m1 ram isn't working like a computer running windows, my other computer run the game with an old gtx 1070 and 16gb ram, and in 1080p suffer some fps drop too.

Anyway, at least i'm agree with Ussnorway, install it on the mac hard drive and not on a external hdd.

Applologies for my poor english skills =P

Last edited by Liryna; 14/03/23 10:21 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard