Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Seriously, great choice. Not being able to experiment with party compositions, experience companion stories, mutual interactions and banter in a single run was one of my biggest worries. I'm sure you've made a lot of people happy with this Larian, thanks for listening!

B
old hand
old hand
B
I would not have minded a party lock. By the end of Act 1 the party could be a tightly knit group of heroes/monsters kept together by shared acts of bravery, villany, selflessness, greed, choices of "lesser evil" etc. that it does not wish to add have new members - as "none are worthy" or "are a security risk, not sharing the same atrocities" as the "in crowd".
But as actions have consequences - "play stuopid games, win stupid prizes" - Origins/Companions not wishing to pee on you if you were on fire due to what you did, or did not do, in Act 1, should limit the field anyway.
Wiping out the Tieflings and (non Shadow?) Druids should eliminate cooperation with Jaheira and Minsc - I'd be dissapointed if it didn't.

Last edited by Buba68; 01/07/23 03:33 PM.
addict
addict
That and the fact some origin/companions may find themselves at the pointy end of Tav’s chosen poky stick, party lock was a concern (atleast story wise).

One of my characters will be more than willing to make dead anyone that threatens his life. This will depend on how the dice roll, so for example when Laziel sneaks up on you with knife in hand, she may find herself hearding moles if the dice don’t go her way, Same with a known toothy elf.

No rerolls or inspiration for them.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
No rerolls or inspiration for them.
Yup.
Toofy did not make a good first impression. Backstab, rly? Then again, what to expect from a Surface Elf? [SNEERS IN DROW]

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Buba68
I would not have minded a party lock. By the end of Act 1 the party could be a tightly knit group of heroes/monsters kept together by shared acts of bravery, villany, selflessness, greed, choices of "lesser evil" etc. that it does not wish to add have new members - as "none are worthy" or "are a security risk, not sharing the same atrocities" as the "in crowd".
But as actions have consequences - "play stuopid games, win stupid prizes" - Origins/Companions not wishing to pee on you if you were on fire due to what you did, or did not do, in Act 1, should limit the field anyway.
Wiping out the Tieflings and (non Shadow?) Druids should eliminate cooperation with Jaheira and Minsc - I'd be dissapointed if it didn't.

Just to be clear, I'm very much in favour of "soft" party limitations, such as companions leaving you when their approval hits rock bottom, you act in a way that severely conflicts with their principles or they come to blows with another party member for understandable reasons.

What I was really worried about was us getting the DOS2 treatment:
The game forcing us to pick 3 permanent companions because 4 is the max party size (without explicitly informing us we're even making such a choice in the first place), only to have the abandoned companions come back to haunt us later and accuse us of leaving them to die, which we did only due to an arbitrary mechanical limitation.

There is no narrative reason why no more than 4 adventurers should travel together at a time. It's a game mechanic, and that's fine. As far as the story is concerned, surely the camp is big enough for anyone who wants to stick around. I'm very glad Larian see it that way too. smile

B
B
Although there will be no party lock, I fully expect to take the same people with me all the time smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Llengrath
Seriously, great choice. Not being able to experiment with party compositions, experience companion stories, mutual interactions and banter in a single run was one of my biggest worries. I'm sure you've made a lot of people happy with this Larian, thanks for listening!

I fully agree, thanks from me as well!

Originally Posted by Llengrath
Just to be clear, I'm very much in favour of "soft" party limitations, such as companions leaving you when their approval hits rock bottom, you act in a way that severely conflicts with their principles or they come to blows with another party member for understandable reasons.

This has never happened in any of my games yet, but I like that it is possible, it makes sense.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I fully agree, one of the best choices they could've made.

Thank you also on my part!

veteran
veteran
I wonder if the game locks out the origin characters, but not the party.

As in, maybe we still have to pick select origin companions and the rest disappear, die, turn against us, whatever.

But the party isn't technically locked because we can still mix in the non-origin companions: Halsin, Minsc, Jaheira, and Minthara.

I really hope we can still get Minthara if we don't turn against the tieflings.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by JandK
I wonder if the game locks out the origin characters, but not the party.

As in, maybe we still have to pick select origin companions and the rest disappear, die, turn against us, whatever.

But the party isn't technically locked because we can still mix in the non-origin companions: Halsin, Minsc, Jaheira, and Minthara.

I really hope we can still get Minthara if we don't turn against the tieflings.
I doubt it. That wpuld be very misleading and the backlash worsr than the benefit from announcing that there is no lock.

Minthara and Halsin probably excluded each other.
I cant see a viable scenario to have both.

Link Copied to Clipboard