Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Right, fair warning that I've pretty much exhausted my notes from the event already, excepting just a few more spoilery things I decided not to share, so chances are the answers to further questions is likely to be "I don't know".

It can't hurt to ask though, as your question might shake a memory loose!

Regarding Daisy changes, just so we don't derail this thread, I'd suggest taking the chat to the one Ragnarok made about Daisy. Feel free to PM me if there's any post of yours here that you'd like me to move there,

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Why yall let a tadpole eat your brain ill never understand.
For science.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by yellowsapphire88
I've tried to see if there's an answer for this, and I can't find one, but if I've missed it, please let me know.... I've a question around camp cinematics and long resting. In EA, I spent aaages long-resting in order to trigger some of the camp cinematics, I'm thinking things like Gale's romance scenes as an example, is this something they've fixed for release? Or, conversely, will we be penalised for spamming the long rests in order to trigger the particular cinematics?

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread (which has got really long, so if so I don't blame you for not spotting it grin) that I saw some definite evidence that this has been reworked at least to some extent. Gale, for example, told me about his little problem in a chat as we were wandering around the world, rather than in a camp convo.

But it did seem a little buggy in the build I played. I imagine tying the conversations to resting was at least partly to impose some pacing on this content, and without it Gale apparently came to trust me in about half a day (we hadn't even camped together) and Shadowheart wanted to share some additional info on something that I don't think had even happed yet. So good news and bad news.

Personally I'm taking it as good, as what I saw clearly proves Larian have listened and reworked the way conversations are linked to camping, and I'm sure remaining issues can be ironed out.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Elrion
Silly question XD. Do you know if we´re gonna be able to change or choose our character portrait background?? I know its nonsense (BIG NONSENSE) but it would bother me a little bit playing with a druid with a purple background.

I didn't see a way of changing character portrait background, which doesn't prove anything definite given that it's clear there's SO MUCH I missed.

I thought character portraits were looking pretty good in the build I played, including that for my own PC, though I can't recall what colour background it had!

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
Early reviews from influencers and stuff are coming in. Seems almost unanimous that they think this game is going to crush even games like Starfield.

I'll have to check them out! Feel free to post links here to any commentary you think other folk here might be interested in.

And yes, everyone I spoke to had a blast with the game, seemingly whether they'd already played in early access or not, and so hopefully (for all of us who are desperate for the game to do well so Larian will keep working on it) BG3 will get some good additional hype as a result.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Party controls. I know you said that the chain control scheme scheme isn't gone. But what about the order of portaits ? Can we fix them (e.g. Lae'zel in 1, Gale in 4, etc), or do they keep being shuffled around ?

I didn't have time to do more than check the basics of this. No difference jumped out at me (other than the additional option to ungroup a summon that I mentioned), but I wouldn't swear there weren't some more hidden changes. I didn't try using hotkeys for party members, and I agree it would be helpful if the mapping were more reliable!

Can we rotate it upward/downward (tilt) ? (found the answer, and it's "no".) Can we translate it on the z-axis ? Can we zoom out (and in) more than before ?
I did quickly play around with the camera, but if there's a way to tilt it I didn't find it. I didn't notice any obvious change to the zoom levels. On the plus side, I didn't notice any problems with the camera getting messed up with verticality either, but that's caveated by the fact I wasn't in any of the locations that gave it the worst of the difficulty during EA.

Can we move multiple items at once ?
Do you know if Larian introduced a shortcut for Send To Camp (e.g. Ctrl+LeftClick, similar to the shortcut for Mark As Wares) ?
Do we have a View All Loot In Vicinity functionality ? (found your answer in Tuco's thread on things we (apparently) aren't getting).[quote]

I didn't check any of these, I'm afraid. Nothing jumped out at me but again that doesn't prove anything. (I'm not actually a fan of a view all loot option, but I know many are grin)

[quote=Drath Malorn]
Ambushes and start of combat.I've read that you've found that Larian changed the interaction between Start Of Combat and Stealth. It seems that, now, attacking from Stealth will always trigger a Start Of Combat. That's good. How about the characters in Stealth who did not perform the attack ? Do they get dragged in Combat ?

It definitely looks as though there have been some changes to Stealth, including making Hide an action (presumably except for a Rogue cunning action, but my ranger/rogue never managed to get her second level in rogue) and, as I didn't notice but Wolfheart did, restricting hiding in enemy's threat zones, as well as it now appearing much more difficult (or even maybe impossible) to attack from stealth without initiative being rolled.

Specifically on ambush, no initiative doesn't seem to be rolled for the whole party, only the attacker. At least if the enemies can't see the rest of our party: presumably if they could then they'd be pulled into battle too. And possibly even if they're hidden but close to the attacker, though for what I was testing I had the other party members hanging back so can't confirm that.

Perhaps it'll be helpful just to explain what I did try, so it's clear how much (and indeed how little!) I could try out.

I was testing this in the fight with goblins in the underground passage beneath the druid grove, and was trying to see if I could replicate the problem in EA with sniping enemies from a distance without initiative being rolled, so I had all my party in stealth and brought them up one by one, starting with my PC. She fired an arrow at a goblin from stealth, and initiative was rolled. As far as I could see, there was no stealth check immediately rolled (as happened in EA) and she wasn't in stealth after the attack. No surprise round was called.

I then brought up each party member in turn, attacking from range in stealth from outside the enemies' vision cones. Each time a party member attacked, initiative was immediately rolled and they were pulled into the battle order, again I didn't notice stealth being rolled and they popped out of stealth on their attack. I am almost certain (though I didn't actually write this down) that the attack they made from stealth counted as their action for that first round so they only had their bonus actions to use on their turn, but of course they did have the advantage of getting off their attacks at the start regardless of their initiative roll.

I'd have loved to play around further with this, but that was actually right at the end of my time with the game. But based only on what I was able to check, I can only say that it looks as though Stealth and Ambush will be much less cheese-able (and therefore more satisfying in my book) but not necessarily perfect.

AoE Spell Visualiser. Any chance that they fixed the disconnect between what the visualiser shows us and what area the spell actually affects ?
Opportunity Attack indicator. Is it more visible now, that a certain move will cause an Opportuinty Attack ?
Do spells with spherical AoE work better with verticality ?

I didn't have chance to check these.

Do all the conversations cutscenes that progress the relationship with a Companion still happen at Camp ? And if so, can we experience multiple Camp Scenes when visiting the Camp ?

Hopefully my answer just above to yellowsapphire88 has covered this one, but feel free to shout if you have any follow up questions. (With the caveat that the answer will probably be that I don't know grin)

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Does Bless still target so badly as in EA?

Oh ... this. So much this.

In the same category :

When using a Sorcerer's Twinned Spell Metamagic, is it still the case that Attack Roll spells (e.g. Chromatic Orb) get a multi-target UI (like Magic Missile), and that debuff spells (e.g. Command, Hold Person) get an AoE targeting ?

I'm afraid I don't know the answers to either of these.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
I noticed some chat about Wolfheart in the next few posts I read (I'm going through in order) and will just say that I've really enjoyed those of his vids I've watched, and while he's clearly a fan of the game (why would he spend so much of his life on it otherwise?!) that strikes me as completely genuine and I cannot imagine for a moment that he'd try to silence criticism unfairly.

Also, I watched his vid and didn't spot any inaccuracies or exaggerations. He clearly noticed some stuff I didn't (particularly as he tried out a dragonborn monk Dark Urge, so has more insight there), but given that everything he did say that I was able to confirm was accurate I have no reason to doubt the stuff I'm not grin

I did pop a post in this thread here highlighting the key things I picked up from his vid that hadn't registered with me so I'd not mentioned.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Ixal
I guess you couldn't see if dragonborn follow Fizban rules like being able to use their breath weapon as part of a multiattack if they have one. Or it being useable proficency bonus times a day/between rests.

Sorry, I didn't try a dragonborn. Blackheifer posted here a link to a vid of someone who it looks like some time playing a Dark Urge dragonborn that might give some more clues as to how they'll work. I'm not watching that one, though, so I can't be sure. There's no way I can avoid spoilers entirely moderating here, but I'm trying to avoid as much story stuff from beyond the EA cutoff as I can!

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Truthfully I think the daisy change is probably going to e for the best. A seducer is pretty cliche and we all know what to expect from them. By contrast I believe if you genuinely consider what your character would seek out in a protector, that can open up interesting new angles and realisations about them. what your character finds sexy is pretty surface level. Creating the character your character would feel protected by is something else, something new. Maybe it's just because the idea of "seduction" and being seduced has always been less than desirable for me and doesn't tend to have the desired effect on me for various reasons, so I never felt that daisy was anything other than a blunt and transparent temptation towards self destruction.

For you it may be cliche but not to me. To me the idea of them just offering to be a protector is dull and boring

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
This perhaps got lost ...

Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Regarding Daisy changes, just so we don't derail this thread, I'd suggest taking the chat to the one Ragnarok made about Daisy. Feel free to PM me if there's any post of yours here that you'd like me to move there,

If there's more Daisy chat here I might just shift it to that other thread anyway.

journeyman
journeyman
They didn't show what i really wanted to see , and that is stat rolling i heard its just point buying 😕

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
Early reviews from influencers and stuff are coming in. Seems almost unanimous that they think this game is going to crush even games like Starfield. Sounds like people were incredibly impressed by what they got to spend time with.

So that is really encouraging!

Despite some of the concerns that I have about the game I an psyched.

Starfield doesn't look that good, it has the same problems fo4 did, uncanny doll faces and bodies, going to be really hard to get immersed.

Also doesn't look like there's much combat build variety.

Good chance it will have the nomans sky syndrome of a bunch of dead worlds.

Only one waifu.

Its probably going to crash.
The dead planets are exactly one of the things that makes Starfield awesome, because it is realistic and thereby enhances my immersion. Larian could learn from that.

Starfield is awesome and so much better than BG3. The only problem for me right now is that my current gaming machine can't run Starfield. But I am looking into buying a new, expensive machine just so I can play it.

R
old hand
old hand
R
I have a feeling Starfield will be the disappointment of the year. Never trust Todd.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I have a feeling Starfield will be the disappointment of the year. Never trust Todd.
Bethesda games are awesome after a patch or dozen and 200 or 300 mods after.

Originally Posted by kanisatha
The dead planets are exactly one of the things that makes Starfield awesome, because it is realistic and thereby enhances my immersion. Larian could learn from that.

Starfield is awesome and so much better than BG3. The only problem for me right now is that my current gaming machine can't run Starfield. But I am looking into buying a new, expensive machine just so I can play it.
Now you are just trolling yourself. Bethesda once again sells you a new Skyrim, this time with a cosmic flavor and you tell me it's already better? Let me know how immersive all the bugs will be.

Last edited by Vitani; 12/07/23 03:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
I will be passing on Starfield for now. I will be too busy playing BG3! Also not a fan of lots of empty planets.

veteran
veteran
Nah. BG3 has that distinction of being the disappointment of the decade.

veteran
veteran

Have you actually played the game yet? I don't mean the full game; it's not out. I mean, have you actually played early access?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK

Have you actually played the game yet? I don't mean the full game; it's not out. I mean, have you actually played early access?
We've been over this many times in the past already. No, I have not played the game in EA. I don't play ANY games in EA, and I especially am not going to give a sale to a game with which I am huge problems. But as an academic I know well how to do research on something.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by JandK

We've been over this many times in the past already. No, I have not played the game in EA. I don't play ANY games in EA, and I especially am not going to give a sale to a game with which I am huge problems. But as an academic I know well how to do research on something.
They why are you commenting on stuff like Shadowheart's alignments?

Page 21 of 24 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard