Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sharet Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I don't know if anyone on the forum already brought this up, after the PFH a million new threads and messages appeared in this forum (as it should be).

To keep it simple, there was a moment during the Dark Urge showcase in which I could not help but think it may be a Bhaal Slayer or some equivalent entity. Apart from the inexplicable dark urge to kill, this moment was what triggered the thought in my head (together with Swen saying something along the line of "I think there's a message in there" right after the scene):

https://www.youtube.com/live/MW846h6FyU4?feature=share&t=17100

Recent trailers have shown multiple time symbolism related to Bhaal, and considering the main storylines of BG1&2, having the only customizable origin character (which screens of "I'm the real main character" in my humble opinion, and it doesn't bother me) being somewhat connected to those events seems more than plausible to me.

What do you guys think?

I think the theory that the Dark Urge is equivalent to
the previous protagonist, AKA a Bhaalspawn
though not necessarily the
slayer form
is very reasonable. Though personally I don't care much whatever turns out to be right, I don't really intend to play it myself.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
I dunno about Lohse, but I am pondering if this Dark Urge might be connected to Baal. Something like an unwilling Avatar.

He 100% is. In the new trailer the goblin is in a chamber with a giant Bhaal symbol saying “you are the chosen one,” as the Dark Urge stands over a glowing sigil of the Bhaal symbol and turns into the Slayer.

So a third generation descendant of Abazigal --> Draconis --> The Dark Urge or at least one can make his own background around this.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Could be anything. One can write a book, with just listing possible entities behind Dark Urge's... dark urges.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
MASSIVE SPOILERS:

In an interview posted on the subreddit, Swen mentions that Dark Urge offers the most evil way to play and that you can become an evil god. With full divine powers.
When we combine this information with:
-The fact that we see Dark Urge in Bhaal's symbol in the trailer.
-We see Dark Urge become the Slayer
-We know the Slayer is either the form of Bhall himself or Bhallspawn
-We know Bhaal just wants to kill and bring forth bloodshed from living creatures
-We know Blood in Baldur's Gate occurs before Bhaal's return and that Bhaal is not a full god, but a quasi-divine being, whose murderer (Cyric) still has divinity...
It seems pretty clear to me that The Dark Urge is Bhall, an Avatar of Bhaal, or an Incarnation/Manifestation of Bhaal, or a descendant of a Bhaalspawn (The Kid?). Perhaps the Goblin-like creature is either Bhaal actually or his Imp Butler Cespenar

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
MASSIVE SPOILERS:

In an interview posted on the subreddit, Swen mentions that Dark Urge offers the most evil way to play and that you can become an evil god. With full divine powers.
-We know Bhaal just wants to kill and bring forth bloodshed from living creatures
-We know Blood in Baldur's Gate occurs before Bhaal's return and that Bhaal is not a full god, but a quasi-divine being, whose murderer (Cyric) still has divinity...
It seems pretty clear to me that The Dark Urge is Bhall, an Avatar of Bhaal, or an Incarnation/Manifestation of Bhaal, or a descendant of a Bhaalspawn (The Kid?). Perhaps the Goblin-like creature is either Bhaal actually or his Imp Butler Cespenar

I wonder how many of the origin characters are actually god avatars, and just how timedisplaced everyone is. Karlach 8s the only person we have a rough timline of but just how long has everyone else been on the naughitloid?

old hand
old hand
MASSIVE SPOILERS:

No when Bhaal and Myrkul came back, along with most other returning Gods, its was as Gods straight up.

It was only when they decided to walk among mortal that AOs new rule kicked in, they had to do it as demigods, at least until they decide to go back to the Outer Planes like Auril eventually does. This rule applied to the Mulhorandi Gods who rule Muholrand and Gilgream who rules returned Unther. Only exception to returning Gods being Gods is Nanna-Sin who traded his Godhood to Asmodeus in exchange for
Nanna Sin's resurrection and spitting out Azuth, in a deal brokered by the Brimstone & the Untheric God Enlil who after having left Faerun millenia ago, returned during the Sundering with the help of a Dragonborn.

The dead three got MtG cards in Commander: Legends Battle For Baldur's Gate, although really only Mykrul's card is any good.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
MASSIVE SPOILERS:

No when Bhaal and Myrkul came back, along with most other returning Gods, its was as Gods straight up.

It was only when they decided to walk among mortal that AOs new rule kicked in, they had to do it as demigods, at least until they decide to go back to the Outer Planes like Auril eventually does. This rule applied to the Mulhorandi Gods who rule Muholrand and Gilgream who rules returned Unther. Only exception to returning Gods being Gods is Nanna-Sin who traded his Godhood to Asmodeus in exchange for
Nanna Sin's resurrection and spitting out Azuth, in a deal brokered by the Brimstone & the Untheric God Enlil who after having left Faerun millenia ago, returned during the Sundering with the help of a Dragonborn.

The dead three got MtG cards in Commander: Legends Battle For Baldur's Gate, although really only Mykrul's card is any good.
So Dark Urge is definitely not Bhaal or the Avatar of Bhaal then, but that leaves all the other options open.

veteran
veteran
I wonder ...
It seems especialy twisted to play Dark Urge as Cleric of Bhaal. >:]

But it should be possible, right?

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
stranger
stranger
I'm intrested in this dark urge thing bc of story plus in the lore all bhaalspawn had/has dark temptations sooo what I saw so far it's really feel like a bhaalspawn.
My main concern is that I want to play as a goody two shoes character and I dont mind refuse dark desires (its ad some drama and depht for me) BUT I'm not sure I can be good entirely with that origin. I mean can I play through the whole game without killing or harm any innocnet creature/ppl? Or will be some inevitable tragedies?

Last edited by zsuszi; 10/07/23 07:20 AM.
H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by zsuszi
I'm intrested in this dark urge thing bc of story plus in the lore all bhaalspawn had/has dark temptations sooo what I saw so far it's really feel like a bhaalspawn.
My main concern is that I want to play as a goody two shoes character and I dont mind refuse dark desires (its ad some drama and depht for me) BUT I'm not sure I can be good entirely with that origin. I mean can I play through the whole game without killing or harm any innocnet creature/ppl? Or will be some inevitable tragedies?

I think exactly the same. I always play good characters - somehow I can't empathize with the bad one - and fighting my dark urges would give the character extra depth, but won't it end in disaster?

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
It looks like Wolfheart picked The Dark Urge when he played the game on Friday and has a little bit more info at

Last edited by The Red Queen; 10/07/23 10:21 PM. Reason: Updated vid link

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
I
old hand
old hand
I
A few things to consider:
Bhaalspawn were a insurence by Bhaal. In order for him to return all of them must die, which happened in the lore when the BG2 protagonist got murdered.

Dragonborn only appeared after Bhaals death, so can't be Bhaalspawn. (Maybe when you count the transformed humans, but they were good aligned, transformed by divine power, rare and that also happened after Bhaals death, although here its possible that this was retroactively changed).

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
It looks like Wolfheart picked The Dark Urge when he played the game on Friday and has a little bit more info at

"My character did something that actually had me turn away [...] be prepared for a dark, horrifying, but extremely intriguing experience."

Bear sex has competition.
I'm sorry. I can't resist. It's a community meme at this point.

addict
addict
Perhaps just a Deathstalker

S
old hand
old hand
S
Are we sure our backstory doesn't change with our actions? It's altogether suspicious that it's unknown and it comes to us in bursts -- much like the dark urges

S
old hand
old hand
S
MASSIVE SPOILERS:

For me it's really if this is a red herring or not. Alternatively, if we're not the one experiencing the dark urges -- a boss we fight may be the person who did... because it's an actual canon character Larian isn't wasting. Essentially, it's a way to become that boss, as the complimentary dark side.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Silver/
MASSIVE SPOILERS:

For me it's really if this is a red herring or not. Alternatively, if we're not the one experiencing the dark urges -- a boss we fight may be the person who did... because it's an actual canon character Larian isn't wasting. Essentially, it's a way to become that boss, as the complimentary dark side.
That's just the thing then.
It's 50% exactly what you think it is, and 50% red herring.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard