Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Volourn #858507 10/07/23 02:41 PM
V
Volourn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
V
Halflings are supposed to 'portly', with hairy feet. It also depends on surface. Though, handling can fall into the 'look like small humans/human child' to a degree when they're young trap. But, there is no way one can see an adult dwarf or gnome and think 'human child'. Lol No more the guy from GOT was ever thought of as a child despite his height. He was clearly an adult having sex with adult women on TV. Lolz

Plus, Larian already has dwarves and the other short races having sex in the game so it's clearly not an issue graphics/system/camera wise. Lol

Last edited by Volourn; 10/07/23 07:32 PM.
Volourn #858554 10/07/23 03:22 PM
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Volourn
Gnomes are supposed to 'portly', with hairy feet. It also depends on surface. Though, handling can fall into the 'look like small humans/human child' to a degree when they're young trap. But, there is no way one can see an adult dwarf or gnome and think 'human child'. Lol No more the guy from GOT was ever thought of as a child despite his height. He was clearly an adult having sex with adult women on TV. Lolz

Plus, Larian already has dwarves and the other short races having sex in the game so it's clearly not an issue graphics/system/camera wise. Lol
V. important video:

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Volourn #858639 10/07/23 05:20 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volourn
Gnomes are supposed to 'portly', with hairy feet. It also depends on surface. Though, handling can fall into the 'look like small humans/human child' to a degree when they're young trap.
Those are Halflings ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volourn #858719 10/07/23 07:32 PM
V
Volourn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
V
I meant halflings. <>

addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
I think you are taking this the wrong way. I never said that I had a problem. I said "some" as in other people can have a problem.
Oh my sweet summer child. smile

"Some" people will allways have a problem. wink

There are even people who have problem with that someone else have problem ... or those, wich is especialy funny, who have problem with fact that someone else dont have the same problem. laugh
Our kind is messed up, that is basic truth of the world. wink

Originally Posted by fylimar
Baldurs Gate 3 lets you directly kill children, if you go down that route.
Just some childern tho! frown

Oh my sweet summer child, I'm aware of those points.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I think you are taking this the wrong way. I never said that I had a problem. I said "some" as in other people can have a problem.
Oh my sweet summer child. smile

"Some" people will allways have a problem. wink

There are even people who have problem with that someone else have problem ... or those, wich is especialy funny, who have problem with fact that someone else dont have the same problem. laugh
Our kind is messed up, that is basic truth of the world. wink

Baldurs Gate 3 lets you directly kill children, if you go down that route.
Just some childern tho! frown

Oh my sweet summer child, I'm aware of those points.
Everyone on this forum has a lot of summer children. Maybe everyone should have less unprotected sex in the autumn and winter???

Volourn #858807 10/07/23 09:23 PM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I’m not sure where we’re going with this discussion. As far as I can tell, no one here thinks shorter races shouldn’t be companions or prospective romance options because some people somewhere allegedly see them as childlike. And we have no reason to believe Larian feel that way, and actually that sounds very unlike them. In fact, given that any such argument sounds problematic and one that I think shorter (human) adults would feel quite justified in being offended by, I would suggest we cease talking about it at least unless anyone wants to try to make a positive case for it being a good argument (as inoffensively as possible) or at the very least can provide a link to someone making a decent case for this argument so that we can assess something concrete rather than second or third hand reports of concerns some people might have.

Otherwise, I propose that we move on from this point and look for other candidate explanations for lack of representation of dwarves or other shorter races among our companion pool. Or just put it down to Larian having a totally unjustified prejudice and try to console ourselves by complaining loudly!

I’ll happily join in on the latter, and am most disappointed we don’t have a dwarf, halfling or gnome companion let alone origin. I am now pinning my hopes on camp followers and cool NPCs. If we get lots of Barcus Wroot that might go some way to making me feel better, though I realise that’s not going to satisfy dwarf fans!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volourn #858821 10/07/23 09:34 PM
V
Volourn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
V
Well said. Bottom line, we need a dwarf companion. That's all this threads about.

Volourn #858822 10/07/23 09:34 PM
veteran
veteran
In therms on romance with Shorter races ...
I would like to add that we should remember that there is nowhere said that we need to get sex (not in the end, nor anywhere trough that story) ...

I dont claim it wouldnt feel kinda lacking compared to some others, it probably would.

But i dont know how about you, i just want my Gnome to be romanticly involved with someone.
Even if it would mean just some sweet and inocent scenes as was drinking wine with Shadowheart in EA.

It pained my heart beyond description that my Dwarf and Scout Harding fron DA:I was never able to be together ...
Did i need them to bang like rabits tho? Ofcourse not! There is enough of that on ... ehm, elsewhere.
Would it harm anyone if this NPC would at least give us some scenes where she and our PC watch sunset together, are huging each other, or make a picknick in Skyhold garden?
I doubt that.

Im with filymar on this ... its just developers bias.
And i dont even kow what bias is (im just guessing based on context).

Volourn #858826 10/07/23 09:37 PM
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Otherwise, I propose that we move on from this point and look for other candidate explanations for lack of representation of dwarves or other shorter races among our companion pool

Has "It's just a dumb oversight" been dismissed as a candidate explanation?

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence as a dumb oversight amidst an ambitious set of product goals, etc.

Last edited by colinl8; 10/07/23 09:37 PM.
Volourn #858841 10/07/23 09:53 PM
addict
addict
For me personally, I wouldn't mind if there was a Dwarf companion you can romance. I love BioWare games and when Varric wasn't a romance option my Dwarf female character was disappointed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, Larian hate small races which is why they comprise 1/3 of the playable races in the game. NODDERS

Volourn #858867 10/07/23 10:23 PM
journeyman
journeyman
i smell mods on the horizons

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
veteran
veteran
Varric wasn't a romance option
I thought Varric's heart was taken ...
At least they never tease us with false Romance dialogue options. frown

Volourn #858870 10/07/23 10:24 PM
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I don't think anyone here actually thinks the following:

-There shouldn't be short characters
-There shouldn't be short companions
-There shouldn't be short romance options
-Larian did this out of malice
-Larian did this out of some weird argument
-Larian are bad developers.

Which means the most likely answer is that it just fell through the gaps in the massive undertaking. And that happens sometimes, but mods are a thing. And we don't even know if there are more companions we don't know about.

Volourn #859081 11/07/23 02:22 AM
V
Volourn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
V
Mods don't count. I'm not paying molders $100. Lol

addict
addict
Varric wasn't a romance option
I thought Varric's heart was taken ...
At least they never tease us with false Romance dialogue options. frown

Counterpoint: Scout Harding. I was so disappointed when I found out we couldn't even get that drink we promised, let alone a romance each other.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
Yes, Larian hate small races which is why they comprise 1/3 of the playable races in the game. NODDERS
They are in the PHB and Larian promised us the content of the PHB, they made it clear in more than one occasion, that they see the smaller races as a joke ( see during showing off the CC in the last PfH).

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
fylimar #859189 11/07/23 06:26 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
They are in the PHB and Larian promised us the content of the PHB, they made it clear in more than one occasion, that they see the smaller races as a joke ( see during showing off the CC in the last PfH).
If they do than I am grateful none of the companions are of the smaller races. In another thread I mentioned that my dislike for them (the races) stems from the fact most RPGs make a laughing stock of of them, there is no decent representation and this is why they are the butt of every joke out there.

We can play a dwarf/gnome/halfling, so Larian delivered PHB material, but until they hire a writer that actually loves smaller races I prefer they not thouch that aspect.

Vitani #859198 11/07/23 06:45 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vitani
If they do than I am grateful none of the companions are of the smaller races. In another thread I mentioned that my dislike for them (the races) stems from the fact most RPGs make a laughing stock of of them, there is no decent representation and this is why they are the butt of every joke out there.

We can play a dwarf/gnome/halfling, so Larian delivered PHB material, but until they hire a writer that actually loves smaller races I prefer they not thouch that aspect.

I think Gale would have worked great as a gnome tbh. You wouldn't need to change anything about him storywise or personalitywise.
I play DnD a lot and have honestly never met a character from the smaller races, that were laughing stocks. I play two small characters myself, a halfling bard and a gnome artificer, and none of them are joke characters or treated as such by other players.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard