Next Thread
Print Thread
#858862 10/07/23 10:17 PM
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Im Thinking about Taking a Custom Charater and Making him a Dark Urge Pally That Succumbs To the Evil...... What Happens when he does?????

journeyman
journeyman
oathbreaker

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
We do not know, but I suspect it won’t be pretty. EDIT And I expect Regulator is right that, especially if we’re talking about Devotion/Ancients paladins, giving in will lead to the Oath Broken condition.

There’s some speculation about the Dark Urge origin over at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=858441#Post858441.

Last edited by The Red Queen; 10/07/23 10:26 PM.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Insert obligatory Paarthurnax quote here:

veteran
veteran
Succumbing to the dark urge as a paladin will
change your subclass to oathbreaker so as long as you are aware of that and plan your playthrough and character progression as an oathbreaker you'll be fine. If you don't want to become an oathbreaker then your only path forward is to resist the dark urge as much as you can, all the time, and never give in...which I suspect might lead to an interesting ending for that origin story as well.

In fact the only way to play as the oathbreaker subclass for Paladins in BG3 is by selecting another subclass at character creation and then breaking your oath by being evil and doing doing evil stuff.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 10/07/23 10:47 PM.
veteran
veteran
I've said it before, but IF, and it's a big IF, redemption is possible, and doesn't simply mean not engaging with the content, then yes, that could be cool. But I don't trust Larian for a minute to have a proper redemption story line. I think this is their "let's be super gross" path.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Are you doing a revenge pally? Someone who committed absolute atrocities as part of his understanding of his oath?

Does that really break it?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I've said it before, but IF, and it's a big IF, redemption is possible, and doesn't simply mean not engaging with the content, then yes, that could be cool. But I don't trust Larian for a minute to have a proper redemption story line. I think this is their "let's be super gross" path.
To be fair here I fully believe that playing as the Dark Urge with the intent to fight it every step of the way with the intent to escape from it will be a legitimate and interesting way to progress through that origin arc and will almost certainly have its own rewards and an interesting ending. I don't think the dark urge is just there to be evil or not progress through the origin story arc.
I don't know if redemption will be possible for oathbreaker paladins but IF redemption is possible then will lead you right back to you now have to fight the dark urge. But I do suspect that if you conclude the dark urge story by embracing it fully then there will probably be no redemption from that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Silver/
Are you doing a revenge pally? Someone who committed absolute atrocities as part of his understanding of his oath?

Vengeance Paladins have an oath to justice.
They can probably afford to be cruel and ruthless to evil characters, at least I imagine so, but if you start killing innocents for no reason that will most likely still lead to you becoming an oathbreaker. I don't believe that the vengeance oath gives you complete permission to be evil and commit atrocities on the innocent.

A palladin that resists the dark urge in every other dialog seems like an interesting idea. Or chew off Gale's hand and become an oathbreaker galehappy

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by Silver/

Vengeance Paladins have an oath to justice.
They can probably afford to be cruel and ruthless to evil characters, at least I imagine so, but if you start killing innocents for no reason that will most likely still lead to you becoming an oathbreaker. I don't believe that the vengeance oath gives you complete permission to be evil and commit atrocities on the innocent.
That's interesting, thank you.

A
stranger
stranger
A
In BG series paladin must and only start from LG, however, there also another type of paladin---- fallen paladins.
Fallen paladins are LE , they have same or maybe more powerful fighting ability than before. But they lost connections with their Order. These maybe a bit different to book rules in 5th or 4th when playing physical dnd games.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Answer+5
In BG series paladin must and only start from LG, however, there also another type of paladin---- fallen paladins.
Fallen paladins are LE , they have same or maybe more powerful fighting ability than before. But they lost connections with their Order. These maybe a bit different to book rules in 5th or 4th when playing physical dnd games.

Indeed, BG3 uses a variation on D&D 5e so paladins are handed quite differently than in BG1/2. It's still possible to play a typical Lawful Good paladin (which from what I can tell probably maps best onto the "Oath of Devotion" paladin in 5e), and there's also a type of "fallen" paladin subclass called an "Oathbreaker" (I don't recall this as a class in BG1/2, though I think it was the Extended Edition that introduced the "Blackguard" subclass which I guess could map to either Oathbreaker or Oath of Vengeance depending on how you wanted to play it). In BG3 we can't start as an Oathreaker, though we can as a Vengeance paladin, but we can become one pretty quickly. In the initial release we'll also have Oath of Ancients paladins, who would be good but not necessarily lawful.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
It's actually my plan to do just that for my first Urge. Be a true and just Pally, play it no-reload and resist as much as I can until death or dishonor.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard