Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
I guess it's best to agree to disagree before the debate gets anymore heated, as it seems to be sensitive topic for some.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Zerubbabel

Ok, have you seen 300? why are half of the persians abominations? is it racist?

Let's say they made a game taking south american colonization as a base and the invaders/conquerors are sadistic hedonistic abominations that only want to erradicate half of the world, should I be offended because I'm spanish?

Games are made to entertain, and many of them base their lore,races or events on the real world, if we took what you said by heart there shouldn't be any movie or game about WW1 or WW2, or serial killers or basically anything that might hurt the sensibilities of any person.

Feudal Japan was a very shitty place and it's always stereotyped in media as a place where everybody was honorable and bushido this and whatever and nobody cares, because people want to see ninja and samurai.

And if you don't like a part of the forgotten realms world-building just made the changes you see fit for you and the people you play with. And of course the same applies the other way around, I don't care what is canon and what is not I ultimately will play the game whoever I want but it's not the same for videogames because you don't have such freedom of choice, you can only play what's programmed.

TL;DR -> Let fiction have diversity in every way.

Originally Posted by Kendaric
I guess it's best to agree to disagree before the debate gets anymore heated, as it seems to be sensitive topic for some.

I'm just having a normal conversation here, I don't think there's need for anyone to get heated xD

Originally Posted by colinl8
Friendly note, I think this might be slipping into "making work for the moderators" territory, and I'd hate to see this thread locked 😀

That would be a very bad Mod work to close a thread because you don't like 3 or 4 comments (instead of deleting those comments if needed) but don't worry I won't say more.

Last edited by Adgaroth; 18/07/23 10:04 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I agree.
I do respect your position though. I don't think it's racist to say that real-world parallels in fantasy make the world more relatable. I just have personal and specific reservations. However, I am writing this out of respect for your own desire for put the functions of fantasy first rather than our own reservations, and leave it at that.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
It's wrong when certain cultures are portrayed as necessarily more evil and shady than others, and when those kinds of stereotypes led to the actual slaughter of actual peoples, and when it's really obvious which culture the "evil" one is supposed to be.

In the real world, some cultures are more evil than others.
The aztecs sacrificing children was bad, actually!

veteran
veteran
Get Tuco to say something, that'll get it closed for sure

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

edit: i'm just kidding D: don't hurt me.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 18/07/23 10:10 PM.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Adgaroth
@Zerubbabel

Let's say they made a game taking south american colonization as a base and the invaders/conquerors are sadistic hedonistic abominations that only want to erradicate half of the world, should I be offended because I'm spanish?

Games are made to entertain, and many of them base their lore,races or events on the real world, if we took what you said by heart there shouldn't be any movie or game about WW1 or WW2, or serial killers or basically anything that might hurt the sensibilities of any person.

Feudal Japan was a very shitty place and it's always stereotyped in media as a place where everybody was honorable and bushido this and whatever and nobody cares, because people want to see ninja and samurai.

And if you don't like a part of the forgotten realms world-building just made the changes you see fit for you and the people you play with. And of course the same applies the other way around, I don't care what is canon and what is not I ultimately will play the game whoever I want but it's not the same for videogames because you don't have such freedom of choice, you can only play what's programmed.

TL;DR -> Let fiction have diversity in every way.

I'm just having a normal conversation here, I don't think there's need for anyone to get heated xD
I don't want to derail this thread or have it locked, but I think the comparisons you make are rather irrelevant.

300 as a film is fundamentally a revisionist work. However, no living person can reasonably say that they are descendants of Achaemenid Armies. The work portrays a historical period over 2000 years ago between political and ethnic groups that functionally no longer exist (Modern Greeks can hardly be called Spartans; Modern Iranians can hardly be called Achaemenid Persians). There is no message in the film that you should not trust the descendants of Persians or that modern day Iranians are abominations.

Unlike fantasy, the real world has nuance. If you were a Latin American of Spanish descent, you would be right to think that being portrayed as brainless, heartless monstrosities crosses a line, especially if the message of the game is that people bearing any resemblance to you or your ancestors should be mistrusted or harmed. In reality, a good game about South American colonization would capture the nuance of the Spanish-descended peoples who would come to those lands. Certainly some came as conquistadors, while on the other hand, many were priests and workers. Still further, many tribes in those lands used the arrival of the Spanish to throw off regional hegemonies, like the Aztecs.

People want to see ninja and samurai, yes. But no piece of media in historical Japan portrays particular peoples with modern day parallels as inherently evil.

In fantasy, you can say that certain peoples are more evil than others. And you can say that is fundamental to their nature. So when you take a real world group of people who are consistently discriminated against for the stereotype of being shady thieves, alcoholics, liars, and child-stealers that refuse to integrate into a legitimate society, and then make a race based on that, arguing they are inherently that way and inherently evil, you might be teetering on racism by allegory.

Tl;dr: History has nuance. Fantasy can remove nuance. The examples you bring up don't have implied allegories about still-living peoples with ongoing oppression. The Vistani do.

EDIT:
I do think that if we can keep this discussion civilized, respectful, fair, and on-topic concerning Ravenloft, we can maintain a reasonable dialogue.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 18/07/23 10:19 PM.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Qoray
It's wrong when certain cultures are portrayed as necessarily more evil and shady than others, and when those kinds of stereotypes led to the actual slaughter of actual peoples, and when it's really obvious which culture the "evil" one is supposed to be.

So following your argument, what does that mean for the Romani people, supposing their fantasy parallel are more evil than other cultures?

P
stranger
stranger
P
I voted for Ravenloft in both polls, but I admit that Greyhawk would have been my first choice.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Zerubbabel

Maybe GTA San Andreas and its turf wars with black-vs-black/latino, latino-vs-latino/black was a better example but at this point I think we see, understand and disagree on each other points so we can leave it at that if you want xD

Also, I voted for Ravenloft, I like the setting and how harsh it is on the players.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
@Zerubbabel

Maybe GTA San Andreas and its turf wars with black-vs-black/latino, latino-vs-latino/black was a better example but at this point I think we see, understand and disagree on each other points so we can leave it at that if you want xD

Also, I voted for Ravenloft, I like the setting and how harsh it is on the players.
I agree.
I'll tell you the same thing I told Kendaric:
I respect your position because I would rather worldbuilding be more free of our real-world concerns than less free, as it makes for fuller and more interesting worlds. Your position is my usual position; I just hold this one particular case (and a very small number of others) as minor exceptions.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 18/07/23 10:31 PM.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Shocked at how the poll is consistently neck-and-neck.

veteran
veteran
Shocked at how the poll is consistently neck-and-neck.

Well Larian is just going to have to make both games. They already have the engine, how hard can it be?

(Kidding!)

Last edited by Blackheifer; 19/07/23 12:18 AM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Nothing about Larian's narrative style strikes me as jibing with Planescape. Nor in my opinion should Planescape be a combat encounter heavy narrative, Torment is already practically a visual novel. Actually Ravenloft shouldn't really be combat heavy either I suppose, but considering all of the Gothic Horror we're already getting in BG3 I think Ravenloft would be an easier translation.

Last edited by Sozz; 19/07/23 12:35 AM.
C
addict
addict
C
When folks say Planescape is traversing the Astral Planes, what does that mean in practice? Because it sounds like it means detailed preparation for an amusingly huge collection of possibilities

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Qoray

So following your argument, what does that mean for the Romani people, supposing their fantasy parallel are more evil than other cultures?

All witches, just like in real life!

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I don't really want Larian to dive into either of these settings. So there will be no vote from me on this one.

old hand
old hand
@Zerubbabel

I think there was another thread that addressed this very issue of why we won't see Maztica...

I think it's a shame, because it can also be an opportunity, for example for educational work, to address something like this anyway and to work through it "playfully". What are game and media pedagogy for?

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
OP Offline
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Bumping this thread because I want to see results at 70 votes

enthusiast
enthusiast
Dark Sun.

A true dark fantasy of D&D.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by thrudder
My Vote Is Greyhawk!!!!
Tbh Greyhawk theme-wise way too similar to Forgotten Realms.
And as of third edition, even though Wizzards decided to make Greyhawk as default settings, community still much preferred Forgotten Realms.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard