Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Warlocke
There are a good many posters here who have spent the last three years looking for things to complain about at every opportunity (many of them visiting here almost every day and making sure everybody knows how unsatisfied there are). You learn to tune it out after a while.

This is true, but not true as well. A lot of same posters write a lot of other things besides their criticism. I agree that it can be a bit tiring, but it is no good to reduce their contribution to mere complaining.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Xurtan
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Ah yes, the action economy.

Laughs in Spell + Hasted Spell + Quickened Spell + item that give you an extra Bonus Action spell (or the BA cantrip "Shove") + Action Surged Spell + Fast Hands Bonus Action (quickened spell, obviously) + probably another item(set) that makes spells more powerful and/or gives you another action to cast a spell.

At this point you're just TRYING to find something broken, though, and if you're hardcore looking for it you're going to find it--it's impossible to fully balance a game of this magnitude. JUST having access to other spell lists isn't in and of itself broken; hell, WotC allows it, depending on choices. Ultimately we're still going to run into issues of only one conc spell, and only one spell per turn without other things stacked on top of that. I think it's fine, tbh.
I mean...yeah? This was half real and half hyperbole. No one is actually going to take 3 levels in rogue just to get another bonus action for their spellcasting and I have no idea if you can Quicken two things per turn in BG3. Let alone the (hopefully?) non-existent "item that gives you another action to cast a spell."

That said, even in 5e RAW it's fairly common to take 2 levels of Fighter for Action Surged Spells, and Potions of Speed aren't that rare. So 3 to 4 leveled spells in a turn isn't that hard to pull off for a sorcerer in BG3.

...which I'll use to get slightly back on topic. Ideally multiclassing into 2 levels of Fighter will slow your spell progression and levels of spells known.

old hand
old hand
mean...yeah? This was half real and half hyperbole. No one is actually going to take 3 levels in rogue just to get another bonus action for their spellcastin

Haha don't be so sure. If you followed BG3 content on you tube for example, there are a lot of videos (sin tee for example) made with the sole purpose of stacking every pre-buff possible and gaining every action economy bit in the game to showcase a " GITHYANKI PATROL SOLO PALADIN INSANE ULTRA DIVINE PUNISHER-BANISHER" build. Those get a lot of views and there will be people playing the game like this laugh

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by neprostoman
This is true, but not true as well. A lot of same posters write a lot of other things besides their criticism. I agree that it can be a bit tiring, but it is no good to reduce their contribution to mere complaining.

This is fair, but not necesarily fair. I remember vividly how it was when EA just hit. The same people that shouted 'rraaarraa it's DOS3 not BG3 becasue it's not Real-time-with-pause', were the same people that shouted 'rrraaarrraaaa Larian hates D&D because they changed a thing from the rules'

These two things are mutually exclusive. RTWP would annihilate that which sets 5E apart from every other edition, namely the Action economy. So, no matter what choice they'd have made here, they'd have at least half of the 'Rrraaarraaaa's' and quite likely traded that for a new 'Rrraarraaa' for not honoring the action economy. There were a great number of those back then, to the point where I told myself I'd never come back here again. Alas, the hype got me and here I am. Things are a fair bit better now, luckily.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
If they will allow Sorcerers to triple Fireball their way through every encounter with Haste and Quicken, calling hard difficulty "Tactician" is a bit of a joke isn't it.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Originally Posted by neprostoman

This is fair, but not necesarily fair. I remember vividly how it was when EA just hit. The same people that shouted 'rraaarraa it's DOS3 not BG3 becasue it's not Real-time-with-pause', were the same people that shouted 'rrraaarrraaaa Larian hates D&D because they changed a thing from the rules'

These two things are mutually exclusive. RTWP would annihilate that which sets 5E apart from every other edition, namely the Action economy. So, no matter what choice they'd have made here, they'd have at least half of the 'Rrraaarraaaa's' and quite likely traded that for a new 'Rrraarraaa' for not honoring the action economy. There were a great number of those back then, to the point where I told myself I'd never come back here again. Alas, the hype got me and here I am. Things are a fair bit better now, luckily.

Same. I stopped coming for about 7 or 8 months but I came back a little while ago and things are definitely better than they used to be. And there are a handful of posters I have just blocked and it makes the place more pleasant.

Ah yes, the action economy.

Laughs in Spell + Hasted Spell + Quickened Spell + item that give you an extra Bonus Action spell (or the BA cantrip "Shove") + Action Surged Spell + Fast Hands Bonus Action (quickened spell, obviously) + probably another item(set) that makes spells more powerful and/or gives you another action to cast a spell.
Did Larian take out the "That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action" from Haste and even stricter limitation from Fast Hands? As for Bonus Action Spells, you should be able to cast them faster. For 2 Fireballs, you need Sorcerer 5, Quicken Spell, and you consume 2 of 5 Sorcery Points and both 3rd Level Spell Slots. For 3 Fireballs, you need Fighter 2/Sorcerer 6, Quicken Spell, and you consume Action Surge, 2 of 5 Sorcery Points, and all 3 3rd Level Spell Slots. It's very valuable, maybe OP, but it consumes resources. Anyway, Fighter 2/Sorcerer n isn't on the list of most OP multiclasses.

veteran
veteran
You can Haste yourself with a potion rather than taking two levels of Fighter for triple Fireball.

Larian also provided a handy Circlet that grants you an extra Bonus Action when you deal fire damage. So you can Fireball + Quicken twice for two more Fireballs without having to use any Haste potions.

Of course Wet + triple Lightning Bolt will be a lot better since it does the damage of 6 Lightning Bolts.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Totoro
Did Larian take out the "That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action" from Haste and even stricter limitation from Fast Hands? As for Bonus Action Spells, you should be able to cast them faster. For 2 Fireballs, you need Sorcerer 5, Quicken Spell, and you consume 2 of 5 Sorcery Points and both 3rd Level Spell Slots. For 3 Fireballs, you need Fighter 2/Sorcerer 6, Quicken Spell, and you consume Action Surge, 2 of 5 Sorcery Points, and all 3 3rd Level Spell Slots. It's very valuable, maybe OP, but it consumes resources. Anyway, Fighter 2/Sorcerer n isn't on the list of most OP multiclasses.
To report only my understanding of the facts and not express any smidge of opinion :P
  • Correct: the Haste limitations of 5e aren't (currently) implemented in BG3. You get a full additional action.
  • Correct: the Fast Hands limitations also aren't (currently) implemented in BG3. You get a full additional bonus action.
  • IIRC Quicken was changed to cost 3 sorcery points. In exchange, the "if you cast a bonus action leveled spell, you can only cast a cantrip with your main action" restriction of 5e was removed in BG3.
  • The Fighter 2/Sorcerer X is strictly more powerful in BG3 than in 5e due to the above (among other changes). However, it's unclear how it compares to other multiclass combos in BG3, at least partly due to us not having all the information about spellcasting for multiclassed characters.

At the very least, it will be interesting to see what interesting and/or OP multiclass combos are found in BG3. The typical 5e OP-multiclasses are well known at this point. But even if we knew the full BG3 multiclassing rules, theorycrafting isn't necessarily a perfect replacement for actual experience. I imagine some combos will only become apparent after they're discovered in game and posted about.

Especially when you take into account the plethora of as-of-yet-unknown magic items that will be in BG3.

Wow! I guess Sven said "more Fireballs!" and his company complied. smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 1varangian
If they will allow Sorcerers to triple Fireball their way through every encounter with Haste and Quicken, calling hard difficulty "Tactician" is a bit of a joke isn't it.
Triple Fireball is for noobs in this Larian game. You get more damage by casting Create Water followed by two Glyphs of Warding with Lightning Damage. :P

Then throw in a 2 class dip into Tempest Domain Cleric and you can max roll the damage on them...

Last edited by Elessaria666; 27/07/23 06:57 PM.
I for one like it. Can't wait to see if my LoreBard/GOOlock ends up slightly less underpowered than I anticipate. x) For someone like me who prefers creating characters not based on mechanical optimization but mainly roleplaying / personal story, this is probably good news.

Originally Posted by Elessaria666
Triple Fireball is for noobs in this Larian game. You get more damage by casting Create Water followed by two Glyphs of Warding with Lightning Damage. :P

Then throw in a 2 class dip into Tempest Domain Cleric and you can max roll the damage on them...
Exploiting surfaces and spell synergy in a Larian game? Please, what amateurism is that? 9/10 experts agree that shooting a fire arrow at the mountain of barrels you've stealthily stacked around the big bad is the way to go galehappy

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Llengrath
Originally Posted by Elessaria666

Exploiting surfaces and spell synergy in a Larian game? Please, what amateurism is that? 9/10 experts agree that shooting a fire arrow at the mountain of barrels you've stealthily stacked around the big bad is the way to go galehappy

Barrelmancy!

[Linked Image from gamersdecide.com]

Back from timeout.
Q: The interview with Multiplayer. It raised some questions with regard to the changes you're making compared to the core ruleset. For example, can you clarify the tweaks applied to multiclassing caster classes? Some fans are worried they might lead to overpowered characters unless martial classes are also allowed to stack extra attacks when multiclassing.

A: When multiclassing, the levels of your classes and subclasses that normally have access to spell slots are added together in a weighted formula, and then the overall spellcasting level is used to determine how many and which levels of spell slots you will receive.

Warlocks are an exception here in that they only get their fixed-level spell slots.

--

https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3...racters-rule-changes-crossplay-and-more/

Someone asked about multiclassing, and... near as I can tell got told 'we're doing spell slots like 5e', but no talk about the Italian interview or how that's going to factor?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard