Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#875066 05/08/23 07:55 PM
OP Offline
I never thought I'd miss the standard human (+1 to all ability scores), but somehow BG3 has an even less appealing option. Only a few classes get any benefit from Civil Militia and those would benefit more from being a Mountain Dwarf or Githyanki anyway. Now that everyone has freely assigned +2/+1 there is nothing making humans appealing.

Could we have standard human back as a subrace for humans? I can't believe I am saying this, but I'd rather use that one.

Don't you just hate it when people with dumb opinions have nice avatars?
K
stranger
stranger
K
Yeah, I wanted to make a human at first, but they were just garbage. I really have to strain myself to think about builds that would benefit from Civil Militia, because most martials and even many spellcasters gain those proficiencies anyway. Those that don't normally gain those proficiencies can't really benefit from having those weapons. Those are Strength-based weapons, so the few classes that don't get those proficiencies won't be able to use them effectively, anyway. Civil Militia is basically nothing.

Carrying 1/4 extra is kind of neat, but you can already magically teleport items between party members even mid-battle, so this isn't actually practical. Ironically, even if for some reason you played as a spellcasters with low Strength who wanted to use Strength-based weapons, you would benefit less from the extra carrying capacity.

So choosing Human is really just getting an extra Skill... instead of, say, Darkvision, advantage on saving throws against magic, TWO skills, and 5 feet of extra movement. Humans are obviously the weakest race. +1 to everything provided interest in character creation and was pretty circumstantial, but allowed you to make jack-of-all-trades characters better.

Actually, come to think of it, several other races get a Skills anyway. So what exactly is the point of the Human bonuses?

Last edited by Knightcrawler; 05/08/23 10:54 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Half-elves, too. They gimped it. Elves are better options for every character build (because they get Perception) except for people who want to play a wizard or sorcerer to get the free armor proficiencies.

I'm sorry, but this has got to the one of dumbest changes of all the things they needlessly changed from 5e rules. If wizards and sorcerers were meant to start with free armor proficiency, then that would have been baked into the classes. So many dumb, unnecessary homebrew changes in this game.

veteran
veteran
Mechanically the only "good" thing about humans is that spellcasters use Leather Armor and Shields now. And that has to be the stupidest thing in fantasy RPGs in recent years. Larian reinvents the classic Gandalf style Wizard - by giving them a shield. Ok.

The carrying capacity buff in a game where you teleport items to camp and teleport to traders to sell has to be a joke.

Instead, give them that skill and a half-feat already.

Githyanki are stupidly OP with their numerous abilities including skill proficiencies in practically everything on top of teleport abilities and best proficiencies.

old hand
old hand
I not only find humans weak now but also half elfs, as the 3 pure elf classes simply have too good bonuses. In older editions of DnD, the trick that humans had was an extra feat and skill slots, that seems to no longer be the case, and since all classes get the same ability improvements, theres no change there, with that I remember that while a lot races in older editions got +2 to a single stat, or 2 x +2 and 1 x -2, humans instead got 2 x +1 which made them quite viable for multiclass builds focusing on 2 attributes.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 06/08/23 02:05 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I just realized that all races get the same +2 and +1 rather than being unique. I literally haven't even started the game yet. I've been playing, frustratingly, with character creator. I had pretty much decided what race and class I wanted before the game even released, and now I've got my character planned out, I decided to take a look at other races and class options. I just assumed the +2 and +1 was the racial bonus for what I picked. I'd like to see them go back to standard rules. They can still have their home brew rule set, and have the option to play with core rules, like other games have done.

journeyman
journeyman
Larian's chance to races has got to be one of their most stupid decisions for this game. Letting the player choose where to put their ASI is a good thing, but it wasn't necessary to gimp the human and half-elf in the process.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Hi, we already have a number of recent discussions on the new approach to ability bonuses, including this one specifically about humans.

In an effort to try to keep the forums a bit tidy and focused, I'm therefore going to lock this duplicate thread, but if anyone wants me to move a post of theirs from here to the other thread then they can just PM me with a link to the post they want moved.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"

Link Copied to Clipboard