Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#875358 06/08/23 02:11 PM
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Yup This is It..... Been Playing Since Thursday Live , Played BG, BG2 All the Expansions, DOS, DOS 2 .... There is No doubt That BG3 will go Down as the Greatest Ever!!! I Will be Playing this for Years to Come Its Insane!!!!

THANK YOU LARIAN!!!!!

B
old hand
old hand
B
It may well be the best RPG to date - and that itself would be a highly subjective claim - but to proclaim "There is No doubt That BG3 will go Down as the Greatest Ever!!!" is hysterical nonsense. You have, e.g., no idea of what the state of play of RPGs will be in five or ten years time.

With the unnecessary capitalisation and three exclamation marks, one could mistakenly believe this post was by Trump.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I think we can let people express a bit of hyperbolic excitement without responding just to rain on their parade! Have a heart. And please avoid insults.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
T
stranger
stranger
T
Pathfinder : WOTR is better. Yes, unironically.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Playable but not even top 10 unless things change. There are some genuinely really good things, bit there is stuff that is just infuringly insulting to me as a player. But, grats for loving it.

addict
addict
Yes, it's a good game, probably even very good. But it's also a good game with serious flaws, some of which were pointed out during EA.

it's a good game, I just wish we had a system of day&night....

It would be so pretty then laugh

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Volourn
Playable but not even top 10 unless things change. There are some genuinely really good things, bit there is stuff that is just infuringly insulting to me as a player. But, grats for loving it.
Interested in hearing your top 10 CRPGs. I can’t even name 10 CRPGs that I like. 5-8, sure, but probably not 10.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
D
addict
addict
D
I won't be able to judge it relative to my other favorites until I've finished playing the release and then given it 5-6 months to sort of settle in.

L
addict
addict
L
It genuinely has a lot of great things going for it. Some of the areas of focus really shine through and put it heads above its competition. It's a very rough game though. There's a lot of jank and unpolished areas that went through early access. Dialogue is often....spotty in quality, there's some frankly odd choices they have made in the game.

I wouldn't put it above BG II. I'm not sure about where I'd rank it as a whole...reserving judgement for later. I need to see where the game takes me, but I'm not seeing the gold standard for rpgs do far here I think, or for that matter D&D games,/Forgotten Realms games/Baldur's Gate games..... I guess is what I'm saying.

Last edited by Leucrotta; 07/08/23 02:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
I'm really enjoying it for sure, but I can already see the cracks. Having so much freedom means you can easily break quest order. One example, I went to grymforge before talking to the myconid sovereign and completely broke the 'save the gnomes' quest. Combine that with the awful romances, and greatest of all time? Eh..

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
"Greatest ever" is perhaps a bit much, but it has been some time since I played a CRPG that I just couldn't stop playing for days in spite of some annoyances like the wilful camera, the inventory system, some hiccups during combat encounters where you have allies you don't control, and the fact that the lack of world map and in-game time makes plot and locations feel disconnected from its world.

I find myself more in tune with BG3 than with the Pathfinder games (and I loved Kingmaker), the POE games (and I loved POE2) and way, way more than the DOS games (which I disliked quite a bit)

Last edited by Ieldra2; 07/08/23 11:01 AM.
old hand
old hand
Its the greatest in quite a while, but the Pathfinder games are just as good, as well as the earlier BG and Icewind Dale games.

I never managed to get into the Divinity games unfortunately.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 07/08/23 10:38 AM.
veteran
veteran
Not really sure of the definition of a crpg, but so far (haven’t finished BG3 yet) BG3 is tied with the Mass Effect trilogy as my favorite game of all time! No game is perfect, but these are both exceptional games to me!

BG3 has a huge scope with lots of dialogue choices, reactivity, spells, and class and race choices.

Mass Effect trilogy has amazing companions, an iconic voiced pc, and a pc and companions that span 3 games.

I think both games do a great job with pacing and quests so that playing the game is never boring for me! The cinematic dialogue for both really pulls me into the game’s world.

For BG3 the companions are well written, but I do wish the good companions had been able to join the party earlier in the game considering the evil ones can.

Originally Posted by Turbo Left
Pathfinder : WOTR is better. Yes, unironically.

Gotta agree with this. to the point where i wish they got the BG3 rights and not larian. Some stuff really made me dissapointed in larian for this release.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Best Baldur's Gate by far!
Originally Posted by thrudder
Yup This is It..... Been Playing Since Thursday Live , Played BG, BG2 All the Expansions, DOS, DOS 2 .... There is No doubt That BG3 will go Down as the Greatest Ever!!! I Will be Playing this for Years to Come Its Insane!!!!

THANK YOU LARIAN!!!!!

Agreed.

BG3 rocks!
Best Baldur's Gate game, truest D&D experience, best CRPG.

Well done Larian!

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I do wish it had racial specific tutorial areas like Dragon Age: Origins had. I do still think DA:O is better (so far).

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
Depending on your preference, to me, the best CRPGs ever made are either Witcher 3 or WOTR.

old hand
old hand
Actually what I meant to say before but I was too afraid to since this is the BG3 forum, is that as others actually said, Pathfinder is still better.

I'm a masochist for deep character customization needing loads of spreadsheets and planning, and the whole needing to pick loads of feats and such every few levels and loads more classes and such I like a lot more.

5e feels too simplified for character customization, but the gameplay is still just as good.

E.G in BG3, I wont have two weapon specializations done on Astarion until level 10, as the first feat I put into stats to get 18 main stat asap, then two weapon bonuses at level 8 and 10 on a rogue.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 08/08/23 06:05 AM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Well the hotfixes don't seem to be the greatest ever made as the second (in five days) appears to be causing problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard