Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I was really surprised to see the success of this game being what it is, I figured games based on D&D rules were kindof going to be a thing of the past, but given its success, I doubt it's the last game of this nature we see done.

I would much rather see them expand on what's already in BG3, though. There's a lot of potential with the characters, to add new companions, and quests in the current game. I'd hate to see them rush right into another title without tidying up what's already here or expand on it.

I could be wrong but I thought they said a full expansion was extremely unlikely, though, due to difficulties in translating lvl13-20 abilities into video game form?

Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
The story of Baldur's Gate that started with BG1 ends in BG3, so there will likely not ever be a BG4.

Wait, how are they tied? It's been probably over a decade since I played either of those, but aside from a few characters here or there, I thought most of the storyline wasn't linked? I saw a few side comments in text about it, but I didn't think the main story was really that closely linked.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Shinook
I was really surprised to see the success of this game being what it is, I figured games based on D&D rules were kindof going to be a thing of the past, but given its success, I doubt it's the last game of this nature we see done.

I would much rather see them expand on what's already in BG3, though. There's a lot of potential with the characters, to add new companions, and quests in the current game. I'd hate to see them rush right into another title without tidying up what's already here or expand on it.

I could be wrong but I thought they said a full expansion was extremely unlikely, though, due to difficulties in translating lvl13-20 abilities into video game form?

The story of Baldur's Gate that started with BG1 ends in BG3, so there will likely not ever be a BG4.

Wait, how are they tied? It's been probably over a decade since I played either of those, but aside from a few characters here or there, I thought most of the storyline wasn't linked? I saw a few side comments in text about it, but I didn't think the main story was really that closely linked.
I don't think Larian's next D&D game will be a Baldur's Gate game though I think they will continue with D&D and maybe they can dedicate a portion of their 400 team to DOS3.

But in terms of connections while BG3 isn't too closely connected to BG1 and BG2 it does follow up on the same story themes with the same evil gods and some of the old games' companions and themes. This game was made to be an epic last showdown with the dead three.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volourn
Dissapointed they seem to refuse going to level 20. I would love to see what Wish would look like in a 2023ish game. Plus, there are some classic Bg spells they could add that didnt seem to make it to 5e.
We already know what high level play would look like.

Enemies have 20 in every stat and 5 levels of Unstoppable straight from Divinity's armor mechanics that gives them protection against everything, including control spells which have already been neutered to oblivion.

Perhaps level 9 would have been a better cap.

Last edited by 1varangian; 14/08/23 11:20 AM.
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Bg2 sold millions. It's a legendary crpg. To claim it had 'zero' effect is silly. Bg2 left its mark on crpgs and.

Bg3 sold because of larian, dos, bg series, dnd mega hype, and good work by larian.

We do know what high level play could look like. It'll be awesome like bg2, tob, hotu, and Wrath.

Give me Wish, and I'll wish fir Bg4.

I, and everybody wins.

veteran
veteran
Bg2 sold millions. It's a legendary crpg. To claim it had 'zero' effect is silly. Bg2 left its mark on crpgs and.

Bg3 sold because of larian, dos, bg series, dnd mega hype, and good work by larian.

We do know what high level play could look like. It'll be awesome like bg2, tob, hotu, and Wrath.

Give me Wish, and I'll wish fir Bg4.

I, and everybody wins.
BG2 released 10 years ago...not many of those people still play games and their lives have changed drastically. DOS2 released just six years ago, and very few of its backers were still around here for the release of BG3. So yeah, after so much time very VERY few people who bought and played BG2 jumped on this game because of the memories. Ten years might as well be a lifetime ago for all intents and purposes.

veteran
veteran
BG2 released 10 years ago...

*sus.gif*

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

*sus.gif*
Darth be living on a planet with higher gravity cuz 1 year for him is 2.3 years for the rest of us.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

*sus.gif*
I meant the enhanced edition because it was 13 years removed from original release so for all intents and purposes it might as well have been a new release for most people. It's also the version of BG2 most people bought and are familiar with. If you want to technically count the 2000 release then yeah...pretty much nobody from that release is still around for BG3.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
If you want to technically count the 2000 release then yeah...pretty much nobody from that release is still around for BG3.

Err, there are probably more of us around than you'd think. On these forums in particular, perhaps, given the youngsters might be more likely to hang out on Discord or Reddit.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GloriousZote
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
BG4 release date has been announced for tomorrow, being made by Blizzard though.
Someone should slap you just for bringing that idea to our heads

Unlock magic missile spell now, only $9.99.

Fireball spell $29.99.

Lulz.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by GloriousZote
BG4 release date has been announced for tomorrow, being made by Blizzard though.
Someone should slap you just for bringing that idea to our heads

Unlock magic missile spell now, only $9.99.

Fireball spell $29.99.

Lulz.
Here’s a battlepass to progress your romance.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
If you want to technically count the 2000 release then yeah...pretty much nobody from that release is still around for BG3.

Err, there are probably more of us around than you'd think. On these forums in particular, perhaps, given the youngsters might be more likely to hang out on Discord or Reddit.

Yep.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Last edited by Boblawblah; 13/08/23 09:30 PM.
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
The larian forums are not busy enough to represent gamers as a whole. Most people who played bg2 when it first came out are still around. And, that's millions. There are multiple reasons why bg3 is Larian's most successful gsme - it brings called bg3 is one of the big 4 reasons why.

old hand
old hand
More optional purchases in BG4, now being made by EA AND Blizzard:

Option to pay to make bless non concentration and last until long rest - $69.99.

Permanent haste spell - $99.99.

All attack and spell rolls 100% - $1999

Honestly I can see the allure. If I was a dev I would be mega trolling as such, e.g. y'all have seen the Idle Champions DnD based game's cashshop right? Well if not don't, I will not be held responsible for your heart attack.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 14/08/23 07:09 AM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
BG3 is 1 or 2 infinities beyond any other adventure RPG game in past and present. I am sure I can have much fun with it even though I made it through to the end. Already on my second run with a monk lol. Missed out on some stuff the first run so I'm trying again.

But just as the party was starting to get REALLY hardcore the game ended. Would love a continuation for 12th level and beyond. A BG4 would be great, but otherwise I do hope that this game sets the standard for games to come.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
The larian forums are not busy enough to represent gamers as a whole. Most people who played bg2 when it first came out are still around. And, that's millions. There are multiple reasons why bg3 is Larian's most successful gsme - it brings called bg3 is one of the big 4 reasons why.

Yeah, the Brand is fundamental, like in trade and business. Another important brand is Neverwinter Nights, if they don't want to make BG4.

Last edited by Palatinus; 14/08/23 10:59 AM.
veteran
veteran
Dream scenario: old D&D vets from Obsidian and Bioware form a new studio and license Larian's game engine and make Icewind Dale 3. Or something completely new set in Forgotten Realms.

And no divinity homebrew.

Hopefully the success of Early Access two years ago was already a wake-up call for developers, and WotC, that there is a huge demand for D&D CRPG's like this. And that new projects are already running, waiting to get announced after BG3 has had enough spotlight.

Last edited by 1varangian; 14/08/23 11:24 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Doesn’t have to be BG4. Maybe NWN 3? (Is that possible, or bioware holds the rights?). Or maybe BG3 success will inspire bioware to do a new DND game.

Anyway, I personally need a good Expansion (DLC) for BG3 and another big DND RPG from Larian before they move on to DOS.

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
This game took them 6 years? I shudder to think when a BG4 (or an expansion that takes us to 20) could even be completed by them if they started by 2024.

veteran
veteran
The current Bioware under EA can only do games with repetitive and dull mmo-like combat with extensive monetization schemes. Inquisition gameplay is so bad you're actually struggling to get through it to experience the story. Big studios aren't going to take any perceived risks no matter how many copies BG3 sells. Likewise, Obsidian can't do anything that Microsoft doesn't allow. And they have a console focus on their own Xbox.

The best thing Larian have done for gaming is showing that an (almost) 5e D&D game is possible.

WotC have their own digital game studios too. They should start churning out CRPGs like BG3 now that the example has been set.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard