Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
I know alot about game mechanic and multiclassing aready through videos, but nowhere i can find a description how to exactly spot what advantages / disadvantages i have for example for a sorlock build if i first start with sorcerer or if i first start with warlock. Don't answer on this specific build, i would like to get a reference in general, the more detailed the better (help pages, videos, whatever).
Would be really helpful.

W
veteran
veteran
W
[Linked Image from belloflostsouls.net]

Here you go. Proficiencies gained and when your 5th level extra attack kicks are the main determinative factors for planning your multiclass. That doesn’t really apply to you, so you can really just do them in whatever order you want.

If you are planning on abusing eldritch blast with quickened spell, you should start warlock, level it to 2, then just focus on sorcerer for the rest of the game.

Last edited by Warlocke; 14/08/23 05:32 PM.
B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Thanks for the answer, so to sum up:
It is only a matter of what proficiencies i get that is determined by my 1st race pick.
But if i look at your list, Wizards seem to get nothing, so for multiclassing, it is always more beneficial to not start as a wizard or sorcerer (if you want to multiclas) as they gain no proficiencies, correct?

W
veteran
veteran
W
Well, wizard and sorcerer don’t have any armor proficiencies regardless of if they are picked first or not, and their weapon proficiencies are eclipsed by all other classes.

It does matter for fighter or Paladin. If you start as one of these you have heavy armor proficiency, but if you multiclass into them you only get medium and light.

So that is a case where it matters which class goes first.

If you play sorlock, you will get light armor if you choose warlock first and you will still get it if you multiclass into warlock, so it doesn’t matter so much.

Do you know what your level distribution will be between two classes?

In this combination you generally want to focus on one and dip in the other.

If you focus on sorcerer, it generally to be able to launch crazy amounts of Eldritch Blasts. Combined with Hex, this can do absurd damage.

If you focus on warlock, you generally just want a few levels of sorcerer for some extra spell slots for utility and access to the very useful Shield spell.

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
The Sorlock was only an example. I am completely undecided what classes to combine, there are a few builds on youtube that look fantastic. One last question, i googled for lev 1 prificiencies and got to the fextralife wiki
https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/Proficiency
Here i see that sorcerer has for example proficiency in constitution saving throws which is not a neglegtable proficiency for a spell caster, so your above list is only focusing on weapons and armor it seems. However, i think i got the idea.

-> First pick decides what proficiencies you get, for everything else (lev 1 spells, actions etc) it is irrelevant what you pick first.

Ah... last question: i saw in the link (fextralife) above that Bards get no relevant proficiency at all (except for music instrument), which leads me to think that Bards should NEVER be selected first.
Right?

Edited: i think i will go 2 Paladin + 10 Bard in this order as Paladin gets much more important proficiencies.

Last edited by Bg3 player; 14/08/23 06:23 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Oh, you are right. Totally forgot about saving throw proficiencies. That is definitely worth considering.

Can’t really speak to bard. Bards and clerics are the only two classes I just don’t like and never play.

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Yes, before i also was completely uninterested in Bards and Monks, but the 2 Pala + 10 Bard offers alot, you just need to dive into it a bit.
Another reason for me to pick those classes is that the companions already cover most of all other important classes (Fighter, Warlock, Wizard, Cleric, etc...). Only Sorcerer is missing, but maybe i will multiclass Wyll into Sorlock (Warlock first to be picked). Oh and maybe i will Multiclass Astarion into Assassin/Gloom stalker, to also cover the Ranger.

W
veteran
veteran
W
2 Pal / 10 bard is very solid.

I have my Wyll as a 2 Pal / Warlock and having a blast with it. Being able to use Warlock slots for smite feels very nice, and he is equally threatening up close or at range. I have no dedicated healer in my party, so the extra bit of pally healing is clutch.

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
You can respec so easily that, IMO, if you are multiclassing even with a destination in mind it makes sense to respec often.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Hello,

I guess I'm looking for the same kind of resources than OP :

Is there a list of advantages you get per class 'only if you pick them at l 1'.

For instance, I might be wrong but I think I noticed that rogue get skills bonuses only if start as a, rogue. Or a fighter proefficiency in CON saves and ability to wear heavy armor only apply if I start fighter at lv 1.

So I'm looking for a list of 'only at lv1' bonuses per class

Thank you in advance

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
Just found in a tutorial video , that you can even get important proficiencies also later on, for example through subclass war cleric, which means, you don't need to go for cleric 1st level to get your armour proficiency. So this all is starting to look quite complex without a proper summary. unfortunately.

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
If you know the classes that are gonna make up your build its not hard to see what level 1 gives for each of them in game and then decide based on that what to do level one as and then use a resource like this https://5thsrd.org/rules/multiclassing/#proficiencies to see what proficiencies you get from taking multi class levels.

W
stranger
stranger
W
Isn't this system more like dual classing. Maybe I'm just old school AD@D gamer but multiclassing involves multiple starting classes from the begining of your choice depending on race. Dual class you pick another class after your principle choosen path? Or are these the new 5th edition changes? I was looking to make my wizzard / cleric but couldn't find my option in game.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Wolf Kruol
Isn't this system more like dual classing. Maybe I'm just old school AD@D gamer but multiclassing involves multiple starting classes from the begining of your choice depending on race. Dual class you pick another class after your principle choosen path? Or are these the new 5th edition changes? I was looking to make my wizzard / cleric but couldn't find my option in game.

"Dual-classing" vs. "multiclassing" hasn't really been a thing since 2nd Edition. From 3rd on up, you just take class levels as you gain character levels, and at each level-up you choose which class to level.

3rd/3.5e/Pathfinder have a much more robust build-customization system that leans into multiclassing and Prestige Classes, though. In 5e, you're more heavily encouraged to focus on a class for multiple levels to gain subclass options, ability score improvements, and the occasional odd feat.

Last edited by OneTrueNobody; 19/08/23 04:33 PM.
W
stranger
stranger
W
Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm familiar with the second edition rule set its my prefered system. 3rd edition I can tolerate it.. 5th edition I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm just old school.

veteran
veteran
bear in mind the chart posted above is not correct and is only the main classes not the subclasses

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
M
stranger
stranger
M
So, is there any full overview, incl subclasses concerning unique class proficiencies gained when multiclassing / usually only 1st Pick but also somwtimes you get some also from 2nd Pick with special subclasses

K
stranger
stranger
K
Thx, not exactly what I was looking for but close enough, it's only a matter of substracting this list from the full class proefiency list

W
veteran
veteran
W
I don’t recall ever reading that subclasses and multiclass interact in any way.

B
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
B
There was a youtube tutorial where it was stated that you can first pick a sorcerer for example and at 2nd level you pick a war cleric and get the extra armour class. can't find the video however. maybe someone can confirm this and if so, where else does this work - or is it a bug?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard