Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Something seems to be wrong ...

Today i attacked Auntie Ethel, and reaction told me that Karlach needs to roll at least 17 to hit ... but rolled only 16 ...
So using Reckless attack seems like no brainer, right? Either i roll more and hit ... or less and still get 16 ...
Therefore i basicaly cant loose here.

So i did ...
And i missed ...

And when i checked combat log, it told me that i rolled 12!

That doesnt seems right.
Will test futher and make some screenshots.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
L
stranger
stranger
L
What is the issue here? The downside of Reckless Attack is that the barbarian also gets advantage against them. This is why it is a reaction to attacking, and why it enables ask by default. You can still miss with the reckless attack roll.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lommelun
What is the issue here? The downside of Reckless Attack is that the barbarian also gets advantage against them. This is why it is a reaction to attacking, and why it enables ask by default. You can still miss with the reckless attack roll.

Advantage means you take the best of the 2 rolls. He shouldn't have been able to end up with a worse result, yet he did. That's the issue.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by WebSpyder

Advantage means you take the best of the 2 rolls. He shouldn't have been able to end up with a worse result, yet he did. That's the issue.
They'd already rolled once and missed, so using Reckless Attack for "advantage" in this case actually means making a second roll. The second roll was also a miss, so they still missed. This is the correct behaviour.

The only thing incorrect about this is that in 5e you have to declare Reckless Attack in advance, you don't get to wait until you miss; Baldur's Gate 3 is a lot more permissive in that respect, though I guess it's costing your reaction so it's probably not too powerful.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Haravikk
Originally Posted by WebSpyder

They'd already rolled once and missed, so using Reckless Attack for "advantage" in this case actually means making a second roll. The second roll was also a miss, so they still missed. This is the correct behaviour.

The only thing incorrect about this is that in 5e you have to declare Reckless Attack in advance, you don't get to wait until you miss; Baldur's Gate 3 is a lot more permissive in that respect, though I guess it's costing your reaction so it's probably not too powerful.
This. The 17 was the higher roll, and that missed. Reckless Attack was behaving as it should.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
This is the correct behaviour.
In that case, tooltip for Reckless Attack needs to be replaced with "you roll again and must use the new roll" ...
Bcs this is not how Advantage is supposed to work.

Missing is not the point here. ( xD )
Rolling and loging is ...

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
I think the point was that when using Reckless Attack specifically as a triggered event when you have already missed the first time, there's no functional difference between taking the rerolled value and the first one, as you've already missed with the first one so whether you hit or miss will entirely come down to the second roll. Which doesn't mean to say that it wouldn't be better for it to correctly show the highest roll in the log, I agree with that, it just means that we're never going to miss when we could have hit by taking the second roll in this specific case.

I assume that, when Reckless Attack is already activated, it's showing correctly as rolling with advantage in the log? I'll keep a closer eye on this in my own game.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This is the correct behaviour.
In that case, tooltip for Reckless Attack needs to be replaced with "you roll again and must use the new roll" ...
Bcs this is not how Advantage is supposed to work.

Missing is not the point here. ( xD )
Rolling and loging is ...
First of all, Advantage has always been a reroll where you take the best value, you just tend to roll two dice at the same time. As it was said, in the game, you're not being forced to use the new roll. Your best roll had already missed, the second one also missed, so your attack remained a miss. You don't magically get two new rolls.

For Reckless Attack to be used as a reaction in the first place means the first roll had missed, even though it isn't used as a reaction in pen and paper. I don't see the need for the log to have to change, because it's also working as intended.

If you want to start rolling with Advantage from the beginning of the turn, I suggest using Reckless Attack beforehand and see how the log handles it.

Last edited by Ephemerant; 21/08/23 11:38 AM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I assume that, when Reckless Attack is already activated, it's showing correctly as rolling with advantage in the log?
Nope ...
Even trough all complains during EA, log allways showed, shows, and as it seems right now probably will show just final result.

3 separate attacks that ends with same results, would in log then look like this:

Attack roll 16
Attack roll 16(Advantage)
Attack roll 16(Disadvantage)

I mean ... i dont really want to say that there is just dis/advantage written and in fact it does litteraly nothing.
But yes, sometimes it feels that way. :-/

Originally Posted by Ephemerant
You don't magically get two new rolls.
Never said you should ...
Be so kind and either read before you react, or do neither. -_-

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 22/08/23 11:45 AM.

apprentice
apprentice
You don't magically get two new rolls.
Never said you should ...
Be so kind and either read before you react, or do neither. -_-
You've already commented that the tooltip for Reckless Attack needs to read "you roll again and must use the new roll." And it's already been explained that that's not what is happening, and since RA is being used as a reaction telling you that your first roll missed, if you miss the second roll, then that's the Advantage being granted to you.

So what exactly do you think should happen? The combat log doesn't need changed because it's working as intended. Through the understanding of the rules and the ability, you should have the common sense to know that the second roll is your Advantage, and if that also misses, then that's that. You can scroll up the combat log to see the first roll.

Last edited by Ephemerant; 22/08/23 03:18 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
And it's already been explained that that's not what is happening
Yes, it is.

apprentice
apprentice
And it's already been explained that that's not what is happening
Yes, it is.
Okay, I got out of bed and booted up the game just for you, so pay attention.

https://imgur.com/a/uzuToZs
These are an example of when you miss, but hit with RA. The tooltip comes up because you're going to miss, you can check the roll to see how the dice were added up in the tooltip. Which, as I've explained, ONLY happens if that roll will miss. THEN, the second roll hits, deals damage, and you can check the combat log for how the roll was added up for the Advantage roll, which it tells you it was advantage.

https://imgur.com/a/3CBUwDx
And THESE are when you miss both times, with a low roll first then a high roll, then the high roll first, which is used for the attack and tells you the roll was at Advantage. If the second roll had been higher, it would have showed. The combat log cuts out the middle man and just keeps the first roll because it was the highest.

Last edited by Ephemerant; 22/08/23 04:17 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I refuse to continue in this farce ...
The problem was described well enough to be understandable, if you refuse to read it ... i second time ask you to please stop replying.

apprentice
apprentice
I mean, if you can't accept evidence that the game doesn't force the new roll when it slaps you in the face, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck continuing your research in futility.

Link Copied to Clipboard