Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
dhalek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello out there.
When I first played BG3 I was a bit confused by the Sorcerer being called "Zauberer" in the German translation and likewise the Warlock being called "Hexenmeister".
In every game using DND or Pathfinder rules I played before (Newerwinter Nigts, Kingmaker, Wrath of the Righteous), the Sorcerer is translated Hexenmeister. In games where the Warlock class was implemented (Neverwinter Nights 2) it was translated to "Hexer".
So I wonder if the new translation in BG3 is intended or an error.
I think now it is too late to change that, isn't it?

journeyman
journeyman
I am German as well and when I look at my D&D Official Players Handbook, which is the source material for BG3, the Warlock is called Hexenmeister ans Sorcerer is a Zauberer, which is nkt only the correct translation but every other RPG I played in my life handles it the same like Warcraft for example.
Also it is historically correct since Warlock was the term for a male Witch, a person practicing Dark/-evil Magic.

N
N2B Offline
stranger
stranger
N
I can't say anything about other games, but in DnD the two translated names are the same as in the game.

dhalek Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well then it may have changed since the 3rd or 3.5th edition. Nevermind, maybe I'm already too old. well
I'm quite sure that the Sorcerer is called Hexenmeister in Neverwinter Nights 2 and in Pathfinder translations. I even started Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous a few seconds ago to doublecheck. There the Sorcerer is called Hexenmeister.
Anyway, I think I'll have to get used to the new translation. biggrin

apprentice
apprentice
As you say, this changed (I think at least). Originally in ADnD you only had a Magier (Wizard), and Zauberer was the name for the Enchanter specialization of the Wizard in German. Hexenmeister is often used for a Warlocks because in many cases in English it's used for the male version of a Witch which often has the same connotations to Fey, Demons magic etc. in fantasy games.

And you are right, in 3 or 3.5 Sorcerers were called Hexenmeister German if I remember correctly.

Anyway there is no 100% right way to do this. You could also call a Wizard a Zauberer. It's all about a convention within a game setting, which can change.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I suppose that you can only describe a magic user in so many ways before we come into overlap. Kind of surprised that Warlocks aren't interchangeable called Witches given their theme and play style.

Evil always finds a way.

Link Copied to Clipboard