Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As the title says. Lump still has his 19 intelligence, but the Warped Headband of Intellect grants only 17 intelligence. Even when Lump is dead, he still has 19 intelligence. Alive he only should have 17 intelligence and dead / after removing the headband only about 5 intelligence like his fellows.

stranger
stranger
Huh, wonder why they ever even nerfed the headband... It never even capped intelligence, takes up an equipment slot, and now only brings it up to the same modifier that any wizard player character and NPC will already have at level 1. But it makes sense that the stats aren't changing on a dead character. They were his stats in his last moments of life. A corpse sure ain't got no constitution or wisdom.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Chupicron
Huh, wonder why they ever even nerfed the headband...

Because it was never intended to let you make a wizard with INT for a dump stat that was just as powerful as a wizard that actually dedicates his attributes to INT. Also it has always been this way in BG3.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
But it makes sense that the stats aren't changing on a dead character. They were his stats in his last moments of life. A corpse sure ain't got no constitution or wisdom.

That sounds bizarre to me, and could still be abusable. Maybe one should let the own characters die with the headband equipped, revive them without it and hope that the INT 17 is still there... Or imagine Speak with Dead and he is still super intelligent? Where would the line be drawn here?

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Lump having an INT of 19 without the headband does make a bit of a nonsense of his story. I'd not noticed that.

Surely it wouldn't nerf him significantly at the levels we're talking about to make it 17 instead? Personally, I don't care if it's a bit of a cheat and he has 17 anyway, or what his stats are when dead, as long as there's no functional difference between how he's built behind the scenes and him being built with lower intelligence and using the headband.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Huh, wonder why they ever even nerfed the headband...

Because it was never intended to let you make a wizard with INT for a dump stat that was just as powerful as a wizard that actually dedicates his attributes to INT. Also it has always been this way in BG3.

19 is still only a +4 Int modifier, and a head slot for it is pretty major with some of these helmets we get in the later game. I see nothing particularly game-breaking here. And it's not a competitive game anyway, so you really shouldn't even be that worried about making everything perfectly balanced.

Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
But it makes sense that the stats aren't changing on a dead character. They were his stats in his last moments of life. A corpse sure ain't got no constitution or wisdom.

That sounds bizarre to me, and could still be abusable. Maybe one should let the own characters die with the headband equipped, revive them without it and hope that the INT 17 is still there... Or imagine Speak with Dead and he is still super intelligent? Where would the line be drawn here?

Speak with Dead is where he SHOULD be super intelligent in this case. Or if you were to contact his soul. It's what his mind was like when he died. I'd imagine when you die, your soul would have whatever mind you had when you died. Resurrecting him without it resetting his intelligence to its natural sense would also make sense, but it's kinda irrelevant on a corpse.

enthusiast
enthusiast
19 is still only a +4 Int modifier, and a head slot for it is pretty major with some of these helmets we get in the later game. I see nothing particularly game-breaking here. And it's not a competitive game anyway, so you really shouldn't even be that worried about making everything perfectly balanced.

Who said the first thing about "perfectly balanced." I mentioned "intent." Besides, tabletop doesn't go handing out static 19 stat items at tier 1 either. Basic game design dictates you shouldn't be handing out items in the first 25% of the game that last for the entire game anyway. You want players always looking forward to levelling up - be that stats, powers or equipment.

Speak with Dead is where he SHOULD be super intelligent in this case. Or if you were to contact his soul. It's what his mind was like when he died. I'd imagine when you die, your soul would have whatever mind you had when you died. Resurrecting him without it resetting his intelligence to its natural sense would also make sense, but it's kinda irrelevant on a corpse.

That just doesn't make any sense at all. He's dead... you took the headband... the magic is no longer affecting him.

Last edited by WebSpyder; 22/08/23 03:20 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by WebSpyder

Who said the first thing about "perfectly balanced." I mentioned "intent." Besides, tabletop doesn't go handing out static 19 stat items at tier 1 either. Basic game design dictates you shouldn't be handing out items in the first 25% of the game that last for the entire game anyway. You want players always looking forward to levelling up - be that stats, powers or equipment.

That just doesn't make any sense at all. He's dead... you took the headband... the magic is no longer affecting him.

With the magic items I've seen and acquired by act 2, a Headband of Intellect with its full effect is one of the least useful for anything but roleplaying purposes and would largely be holding you back in combat compared to the bonuses you could be getting with other headwear. The fact that this is a video game with a small selection of predetermined options greatly limits what you can do with Int and when you could use it way more than a tabletop session would. And you can buy gauntlets that give you 18 dex before entering the Shadowlands.

As for Lump, he died *before* the magic stopped effecting him. I'd imagine your soul would have the mental acuity that you did when you died, and likewise wouldn't receive brain damage from trauma inflicted upon the corpse after the fact.

M
stranger
stranger
M
How did you unequip headband from Lump to conclude that this specific item is the source of NPC stats ?
and what makes you think it is a headband thing and not a monster setting ?

Last edited by MaxTheBad; 23/08/23 07:46 AM.
M
M
If I had to guess there are two things at play here:

1) Equipment not working properly on NPCs in some way, so they gave him the stat manually
2) When they nerfed the headband from 19 to 17, they forgot to nerf the NPC stats too

But I don't really see how his intelligence when dead matters to the game.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
2) When they nerfed the headband from 19 to 17, they forgot to nerf the NPC stats too

This isn't an error imo. You scrounge the headband from his guts after he's met a violent death; I'm assuming the headband becomes warped somewhere during that process.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Elk Mooser

This isn't an error imo. You scrounge the headband from his guts after he's met a violent death; I'm assuming the headband becomes warped somewhere during that process.
Depends what they mean by 'warped'. It may just mean it was distorted or twisted out of shape by being made to fit an ogre's head.

old hand
old hand
Honestly just make it +18, same as the dexterity gloves, So its a +4 int stats item, but Wizards still need more investment to reach 20 INT.

Theres also a hat that adds your int stat to persuasion, but it competes with the same slot, just means you can use speech skills properly on a Wizard just like you already can with a sorc.

To benefit much from that hat on a sorc, you would need at least 14 int as theres already a +2 CHA hat for +1 speech skills and spell DC / Attack roll.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 23/08/23 03:26 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Elk Mooser

Hah! That's not how I read it, but I guess that would make sense of the facts grin

As to what the item should be, I'm happy that it gives 17 INT and so just +3 INT. +4 would (and did) seem too much. It makes it possibly a useful item for non-wizards who have some use for INT such as skill-monkeys, EKs and ATs, without it being so good that you'd build a character with INT as a primary stat around it, or making your secondary stat too good without investment in ASIs. I know it probably doesn't make a huge difference all things considered, but I'm still happy they nerfed it somewhat. (And also happy that it isn't an item that gives, eg, +2 to INT, but that's taking us still further off topic so I won't get into that!)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Is there a +2 int item in the game though cos there is a +2 cha one.

Link Copied to Clipboard