Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
so, i'm at the fight one the first floor of moonrise...

jaheira isn't in my party, but her and the harpers of course join up for the fight and she immediately when the fight starts.. goes kamkazi and jumps to the near bottom of the stairs, which pretty much causes her to die in the first turn.

what's the best way to keep that silly toon alive?

running fighter, shadow, kalarch and wyll...

old hand
old hand
Unfortunately best way to keep her alive is to persuade her to join and just use her two clicks of ice storm then leave her far away from everything.

This fight goes even worse if you try to use cloudkill or wall of fire, all the harpers go extra kamikaze into your AoE and die.

The thing that makes this fight hard is all the useless 'allies', I swear they are just there for fodder for the orc boss's black hole, and the enemy casters then cover you with evards tentacles.

An idea I just thought off is to prep thunderwave and just blast all the silly allies away if you can, the only one you need alive is Jaheira if you want to permanently recruit her later.

C
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
C
she refuses twice.. 3rd asking a charm? i was wondering if i actually stuck her in she might not be so stupid.

veteran
veteran
All of them lived in my playthrough, but that's because...

I just cleared out the tower (except the top floor with Ketheric) before the fight ever initiated... before I went into the Shadowfell to get rid of Ketheric's invulnerability, I mean. So when the harpers arrived, all they did was secure the tower, leaving me to go to the top to deal with General Thorm.

F
addict
addict
F
My tactics:

I had my paladin drink a potion of speed and proceed to throw 4x smoke powder bombs at the cluster around Kethrick's general. Think Shadowheart put Shield of faith on Jaheira? After that, Jaheira got a lay-on-hands a turn and even Sanctuary.

Karlach proved very good at jumping on rafters and throwing down enemies. Athlete feat, raging.

I think I had Gale doing Sleetstorm then Black tentacles, might've hasted someone later too.

By then, I'd have Shadowheart drink her Giant strength potion daily and play utility; healing, shoving, smacking. And of course spiritual weapon.

This is my A-team, general all round capabilities.

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
Leeroy Jenkins!!!!!!!!!

addict
addict
I got here a few days ago, and tried several times to enter the towers with theharpers and fists army, but got wiped out every time.

I managed to sneak around and enter through a side door, the chambers here are empty, but the only passage not going through the central hall with the entire absolute's army that I found, was a staircase down. At the foot of the stairs there was another heavy fight, but this one I could win. Severely depleted in spells and hitpoints.

So I wanted to sneak out the same way I came, back to the waypoint and go for a long rest.
But when emerging from the side of the tower, in the square before the gate, we now were in the line of sight of the enemy, so they attacked immediately.

It looks like all the harpers and fists were killed and the baddies had advanced to just before the gate and so they saw us, whereas on entry they were further down the hall and so we passed unnoticed to the side.

I'm desperate now. I don't see any way to win this. I've used speed, invisibility, my best AoE spells, hold person, silence etc... on the baddies. There are just too many of them.
If this was on the hard mode, okay, but this is no fun anymore.
Did Larian actually test play this ?

addict
addict
The night is darkest just before dawn. Yesterday when I wrote the post above I was resigning to the idea I wouldn't get past chapter 2, but then with a bit of luck, I came upon a strategy that worked for me. It's a bit cumbersome, but I consider it an honourable attack strategy for this hopeless-looking situation, not cheesy in any way.

My party consists of the PC : Ranger 5/Rogue-assassin 3, Shadowheart, Lae'zel and Wyll, all 3 of them lvl 8.

Every attack with Jaheira ended in disaster, so obviously some kind of other route was needed.

Scouting around the tower I found a door, it leads to a number of empty rooms, but nothing that could help to gain some advantage in the central aisle where the combat takes place. There's a staircase down, but when you take it, are immediately attacked. It's a tough fight, but winnable. No one fell in my party, but we were low on hitpoints and spells. Another combat would be fatal, so a long rest was needed.

I decided to sneak out the same way I sneaked in and go to a safe place to travel to camp.
Now here's where the desperation set in. During my scouting, the harpers apparently had launched an attack and were obliterated. But as a result of this, the tower's troops had advanced up to the entry gate and so my group could no longer emerge unseen. We were immediately attacked and destroyed. All hope seemed gone.

So with this, I decided to go back to a save inside the cellar and look around. It was empty, so fortunately no new combat ensued, but there was another door that led to a dock-area. It was guarded, but when the guard spotted us, they saw we were true souls and let us pass. From the dock area we could get to a bridge leading to the shadow cursed battlefied area and we were safe.

Because of the guard's reaction, I thought that if we returned without a Harper's army on our tail, maybe the cultists would let us in as true souls, so after long rest we went back to the waypoint and entered the courtyard. Unfortunately we were attacked again before reaching the gate. So that plan was no good

Now however the battle was outside and the cultists' tactical advantage they had inside the tower was gone. It was a headon fight. They still had advantage in men and firepower, but were themselves more concentrated. Moreover my party could now retreat more easily and try to flee battle when things went wrong.

And that's how it turned out. I could take out 4 or 5 bozo's and then flee. (Only Lae'zel didn't make it in the first raid and had to be brought back by Withers)
And that's when I decided to try a hit-and-run tactic. Try to take out the strongest enemies in the courtyard, and flee when we were close to collapse. A total of three raids was sufficient to clear the courtyard.
This left the warden, 2 adepts and a few minor fighters within the central hall. And this was a "fair" fight which we won without any losses on my side.

So the strategy is :
Sneak in from the side, let the harpers go on a suicide mission, so the cultists are lured to the entrance of the tower
Sneak out via the docks and return to the waypoint to have the cultists attack you outside the tower.
Employ hit and run tactic to deplete their troops and recover yours.

F
addict
addict
F
I did brute-force hit and run on the Githyanki patrol too. I killed 2, lost 2, retreated and rez'ed. Returned and leveraged my superior numbers to finish off the remaining two.

Nothing fancy about it, but it's smart tactical play, if you can handle 1-2 party members suffering badly.

Link Copied to Clipboard