Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
As the title says.

I tried it at least 15 times and always get wasted. Party is level 7 and Gale is done for within two rounds tops. I'm there with Karlach, Lae'zel, my Paladin and Gale. Since he is out of business the fastest - everyone is aiming at him - I can forget all the fancy AOE spells I equipped him with. The rest of my party goes down one of two rounds later, since there's an insane amount of enemies and Balthasar always succeeds at his death spells.

Really, this ruins it for me.

Last edited by cossayos; 23/08/23 09:51 PM.
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
you could do what i did...

he hangs out at the back, on my second try, i popped him with a spell that cause a knockback... turns out he's a lousy flyer. just need to get the angle right.

C
OP Offline
C
He keeps teleporting like crazy and fires death cloud after death cloud. And in between, perfectly healthy characters are kicked into the abyss, if they're too close. Also I have the impression of the game trolling me. They land criticals by the numbers, while my folks land critical misses.

I must have tried it more than 20 times by now. Different tactics, different group. This is really ruining an otherwise great game for me. It's not fun to reload and reload, just to get wasted again.

Last edited by cossayos; 23/08/23 10:34 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Can’t remember what level I was when I fought him, but 7 sounds a bit low.

Have you done everything else you want to do in region, as I think this might be a point of no return moment. Maybe come back to it a little later?

Also this is a story point for Shadowheart, who also happens to be quite handy against undead. Are you deliberately avoiding having her on the team?

C
OP Offline
C
I did it. Only I did something different.

I killed Balthasar in his lair at the temple. It was hard fight, ironically with Gale as the last man standing. But Balthasar is gone. Sadly also Shadowheart, since I didn't take her to free Nightsong. I may roll back a save to take her with.

Last edited by cossayos; 23/08/23 11:21 PM.
H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H

First time I did this fight was on balanced. I found it annoying because one of the large undead would consistently push the closest party member off the edge of the rock, killing them in the chasm. I had to reload twice and then I just ran into the center taking some opportunity shots. My party was PC Gloomstalker, Wyll, Shadowheart and Karlach. I burned down Balthazar before he could do much, he got 1 turn before dying where he summoned his scripted adds, drank a speed pot and then ray of sicknesses some one twice. Shadowheart turned as many undead as she could reach on her first turn then it was a fairly straightforward fight.

Second time I did this was on Tactician. Party was PC Warlock/Sorceror, Astarion as a Gloomstalker, Shadowheart Light Cleric and Lae'zel. I jumped down and stealthed the party and opened combat with Astarion from ranged. Everyone else was undetected and I was able to get all of them into combat and attack from stealth. Balthazar died on the first turn before taking an action. Scripted adds didn't even show.

old hand
old hand
I just have to wonder, just how much of the game does someone have to skip to only be level 7 by the time they reach that fight?

Dont approach him from the point where you jump down, go into sneak and go somewhere top rightish, not the cliff just up the stairs and defend position with wall of fire and such

Player fault if you start the fight from a position where your characters can be pushed off

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 24/08/23 05:51 PM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Silence and counterspell helps a lot.

Last edited by Ixal; 24/08/23 07:07 PM.
old hand
old hand
Silence is kind of meh, they just run out of the bubble.

C
OP Offline
C
As I said, a different approach is much easier....

To confront Balthasar while he still is in the temple. He doesn't spawn his army of undeads there and you only have to deal with his guards. He went down within two rounds. Interestingly, the ensuing boss fights, including that Orc woman were much easier. Gale and Halsin casting ice storm had her down in round one. Same with Kethric Thorm and the monster he turns to.

Originally Posted by cossayos
Since he is out of business the fastest - everyone is aiming at him - I can forget all the fancy AOE spells I equipped him with.

That's the problem. You dont equip Gale with AoE spells. You prepare CC spells, counterspell and buffs. Counterspell shuts down enemy caster until you can properly cc him with banishment, polymorph or any other option that works. And Shield + Mirror Image allows gale to tank the first turns.

Last edited by Alyssa_Fox; 25/08/23 12:47 AM.
old hand
old hand
Does polymorph work on undead? Wish I knew that.

Unfortunately theres no halt undead spell in this game.

You could also want to prebuff your party with protection from poison, since he uses cloudkill and twinned ray of sickness, and counterspell isn't guaranteed on 4th level and higher spells.

veteran
veteran
Polymorph works on most enemies. In my group Shadowheart and Gale have it plus I have a scroll on my bard. It is very useful. Glyph of Warding is great to. And yes, Counterspell is a must.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
M
M
Counterspell is the reason why I am very glad that they finally decided to put in a more proper reaction system, instead of what they originally had in EA.

old hand
old hand
Likewise with that Ramazith tower fight, I took in MC sorc, Gale and Wyll, all with counterspell. I just added Gale because a lot of his story stuff was there.

Enemy spells that would 1 shot you countered, also Gale had telekinesis and simply threw the mobs off the top floor, except in the balthazaar fight you lose loot if you try that.

Link Copied to Clipboard