I'm going to start by saying I don't think this is likely, but:

Larian is making a tidy sum from BG3 as it has rocked the industry, and is suspected to be a top selling game in 2023. Their willingness to cast so many voice actors, as well, suggests they might be willing to do this, if they go down this path:

Work on two games at once. The second of which leaves the RPG genre, obviously with a second studio working on it, and tries to challenge Rockstar's Red Dead franchise. Rather than a single protagonist, offer 10 choosable protagonists: male and female versions of white, black, latino, Chinese, and American Indian protagonists, all fully designable in a character creator. Assign names based on those 10 protagonists, offering essentially the same story for all of them with slight changes based on their background. The male and female versions all have different background stories, and perhaps different roles in the first mission - I've imagined a black gang liberating a Chinese brothel - and sex trafficking of Chinese women was common in that period. Because I thought the beginning through a few years ago I want to note what I was thinking - just use it as an example of a story - said black gang is basically led by a charismatic leader only focused on a group-based revenge upon southern plantations as the promises of Reconstruction were denied. Your character, starts working with the gang, but after repaying the debt of being saved in the first mission, end up leaving - of course the reasoning and details of why varies based on player choices, but I imagine a good-aligned one figuring out that the leader is not interested in riches, but only revenge, and so wishing him luck but being unwilling to submit to an inevitable death. You move on to another gang where you make inroads and probably a third down the line or perhaps end up forming your own. You should be still running into the previous gangs, so your earlier choices have consequences. Various possible endings, but the splitting would happen near the end other than perhaps someone showing up and being either an ally or a foe based on decisions made earlier.

Wildly different than the genre of game that Larian has made, but not wildly different in the level of effort put into crafting it and perhaps the only studio who might both have the money to do something like that and the will to do so, so I figured I would at least mention it and possibly be pleasantly surprised years from now. I imagine the current studio is working on another medieval RPG one way or another, be it BG4 or another Divinity, or whatnot.