Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by DaKatarn
Seluné has a good lycantrhope group within his worshippers, it makes sense since it is the Lunar Virgin.

The add of Artificer class will be a good opportunity for an exentric gnome of Jansen dynasty. But it's not an evil character and it's a big lack (In my opinion, Nere is a potential companion who is truly unique, with a very psionic magic, not my favorite taste because we already have a drow but the game really indicates this hypothesis).

Nah, not a lady dwarf please. I want a classic big beard dwarf in a modern game, the current trend in the design of this little adolecent down for Dwarves is a shame! :p

But the choice of class leaves me hesitant given the current consistency of the roster.
Selune is a goddess, not a god
We already have an exentric gnome artificer: Barcus Wroot, he would make a great companion.

Nere on the other hand would be awful, not only is he a whiny little sh.., he would also double down on the elf squad.
Sazza for an evil playthrough would be much better.

And yes, I'm afraid, I have to insist on the female dwarf. I encountered so many male dwarf companions, I really would like a female dwarf.

Piff & Ixal: that is interesting about the spawns and Mindflayer vampires. In EA Astarion sat on his bedroll, but I think it was supposed to be normal elven trance. I wonder, if it wouldn't have been better to not make him a spawn, but a brainwashed servant of Cazador, who only could break free because of the tadpole.

And yes, I was aware, that gnomes normally can't be tadpoled. I was wondering in the beginning of EA, if that were the reason, gnomes weren't playable.

I've known about the Forgotten Realms universe for 25 years and I've been an MD for just as long, so of course Seluné is a goddess. Especially since, even for a neophyte, this element is extremely present in BG3. Her antagonism with her sister Shar is more than central.

On the other hand, I'm French, so I may have misspoken.

Barcus is a svirfnebelin, it's not the same thing than a rock gnome like Jan Jansen and it didn't really impress me for its "eccentricity". And I really think there's a difference between a secondary character linked to a quest and a real companion, which explains Halsin's unfinished aspect.

Tastes and colors are not debatable, I'm not going to take away your female dwarf fantasy but personally I find it adds absolutely nothing. The game is sorely lacking in authentic Dwarves, but the Duergars are very successful.

Regarding Astarion, it is obvious that he suffered an "Edward Cullen’s effect."... without the Baseball games
with Muse lyrics.

Last edited by DaKatarn; 15/11/23 03:40 PM.

He who breaks a thing to understand what it is, has left the path of reason.

J.R.R TOLKIEN
veteran
veteran
Regarding Astarion:

I agree that he could use more vampire traits. Just having a bite? Doesn't feel like enough. The Gur talks about vampire spawn like they're far more dangerous. I'd like Astarion to feel like a vampire. Maybe charm person as an ability. Be creative. On the other hand, I also think he should have the undead type, which would cause him problems when Turn Undead is used.

--I'm not terribly concerned with what vampire spawn are in 5e. Really. It sounds to me like Astarion is way more interesting than whatever vampire spawn are in the tabletop version, which means I think it was a great change.
--As for vampires always being evil in Forgotten Realms, I recall reading a short story in a Forgotten Realms anthology years and years ago that featured a good vampire.

All of that said, I can't help but feel like the Astarion discussion might be somewhat off topic for the thread.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by JandK
Regarding Astarion:

I agree that he could use more vampire traits. Just having a bite? Doesn't feel like enough. The Gur talks about vampire spawn like they're far more dangerous. I'd like Astarion to feel like a vampire. Maybe charm person as an ability. Be creative. On the other hand, I also think he should have the undead type, which would cause him problems when Turn Undead is used.

--I'm not terribly concerned with what vampire spawn are in 5e. Really. It sounds to me like Astarion is way more interesting than whatever vampire spawn are in the tabletop version, which means I think it was a great change.
--As for vampires always being evil in Forgotten Realms, I recall reading a short story in a Forgotten Realms anthology years and years ago that featured a good vampire.

All of that said, I can't help but feel like the Astarion discussion might be somewhat off topic for the thread.

I think you're talking about Jander Sunstar from the novel "Vampire of the Mists" (Raveloft universe), he's Chaotic Neutral (Good).

However, the natural norm remains that vampires are naturally evil.

It's becoming a cliché to always play/encounter the 0.000000001% exceptions around every corner, which ties in with my remark about Hellia the grandmother halfling bard werewolf.

Last edited by DaKatarn; 15/11/23 04:23 PM.

J.R.R TOLKIEN
veteran
veteran
Contrary to Halsin, Barcus has involvement in all three acts, though, I get your reasoning. It was just a case of ' if it has to be an already established character ', to not start from scratch. I don't need a Jan Jansen copy tbh. I liked him, but I would be ok, with one of the deep gnomes from the Iron Hand for example. I don't need and don't want a small companion to be the comical relief. They got the balance in BG 2 with Mazzy on one side and Jan on the other, but since it will at best be one new companion, I don't need it to be the comical relief.
BG1 had some good small companions too, with Yeslick, Alora etc.

DaKatarn: Female dwarf brings the same to the table than male dwarf, but chances are, we will se none of them as companion and tbh, my main wish is, a companion from the small races ( preferably a certain bard), maybe with a bit more down to earth story, no matter the gender.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
I
old hand
old hand
I
Contrary to Halsin, Barcus has involvement in all three acts, though, I get your reasoning. It was just a case of ' if it has to be an already established character ', to not start from scratch. I don't need a Jan Jansen copy tbh. I liked him, but I would be ok, with one of the deep gnomes from the Iron Hand for example. I don't need and don't want a small companion to be the comical relief. They got the balance in BG 2 with Mazzy on one side and Jan on the other, but since it will at best be one new companion, I don't need it to be the comical relief.

DaKatarn: Female dwarf brings the same to the table than male dwarf, but chances are, we will se none of them as companion and tbh, my main wish is, a companion from the small races ( preferably a certain bard), maybe with a bit more down to earth story, no matter the gender.
His involvement in the plot is what would making him a companion complicated.
All scenes and plot points he appears in had to be adapted which means redoing a lot of perfectly working things.

veteran
veteran
I think you're talking about Jander Sunstar from the novel "Vampire of the Mists" (Raveloft universe), he's Chaotic Neutral (Good).

That's right, Jander Sunstar. He was featured in a short story in the Realms of Valor Forgotten Realms anthology which took place in the Dalelands area. (I always read way more Forgotten Realms than Ravenloft in my youth.)

However, the natural norm remains that vampires are naturally evil.

It's becoming a cliché to always play/encounter the 0.000000001% exceptions around every corner, which ties in with my remark about Hellia the grandmother halfling bard werewolf.

There's probably something to this, I agree. It's a complex subject that arguably needs its own thread. Exceptions are powerful, but they can become destructive to the story as a whole when overused. Already I feel the merging of all the different races, as if they're more costumes than cultures.

For instance, at Moonrise Towers, a lot of the guards there are Drow, but do they feel like drow? Would you know if you didn't examine them? Could you easily point out which one was a wood elf instead? I think this problem happens because the exceptions grow to the point that the significant culture and *feeling* of the race is lost, diluting into the generic thing it's becoming.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ixal

All scenes and plot points he appears in had to be adapted which means redoing a lot of perfectly working things.
I can agree to that, still he is a likeable character and very down to earth.

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
If I had to pick a short character currently in the game to be a companion, I think it would be Thulla. If not Thulla, then possibly Nettie.

As much as I like Barcus, I agree that it would be harder to transition him over to a full companion.

Scratch all of that. If I had to pick one, I'd pick one of the goblins. I almost don't care which one because I love them all, but Sazza probably makes the most sense.

But if I couldn't have a goblin, then I'd go for Thulla. After her, Nettie.

apprentice
apprentice
For instance, at Moonrise Towers, a lot of the guards there are Drow, but do they feel like drow? Would you know if you didn't examine them? Could you easily point out which one was a wood elf instead? I think this problem happens because the exceptions grow to the point that the significant culture and *feeling* of the race is lost, diluting into the generic thing it's becoming.

I cannot be more agree, it's the aftermath of the very high fantasy and "code-breaking" turn of the 5th edition. This has the effect of smoothing things out, making everything relative and interchangeable, and losing a certain authenticity and depth. In the end, it all becomes just a simplified skin story.

Your example of the Drow guards is an excellent illustration.

Last edited by DaKatarn; 15/11/23 07:25 PM.

J.R.R TOLKIEN
apprentice
apprentice
If I had to pick a short character currently in the game to be a companion, I think it would be Thulla. If not Thulla, then possibly Nettie.

As much as I like Barcus, I agree that it would be harder to transition him over to a full companion.

Scratch all of that. If I had to pick one, I'd pick one of the goblins. I almost don't care which one because I love them all, but Sazza probably makes the most sense.

But if I couldn't have a goblin, then I'd go for Thulla. After her, Nettie.

By the Gods, anything but Nettie. I understand her point of view during our first meeting but her assassination attempt and incitement to suicide shortened our relationship. :p

J.R.R TOLKIEN
P
P

it's not like you didn't have the exact same problem with Halsin and his transition to companion which forced a bunch of re-writes and changes to plot and character out of nowhere. But in his case people already had several elf or half-elf companions and romance options to choose from, so he doesn't even bring anything to the table that we don't already have. Barcus or anyone else could have been given the same attention and been re-written asa companion and actually added something to the party and story.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
As for Astarion walking during the day I don't mind it, the whole sunlight kills vampires was a retcon to begin with, Vampires like Dracula were originally daywalkers, in the folklore sunlight was non lethal to vampires but it did weaken them, sunlight made it so they can't use their powers and trapped them in whatever form they were in, like if they were a bat when the sun rises then they would be stuck as bat for the whole day until the sun sets, 1922's Nosfertu added in the whole sunlight kills vampire thing which every other vampire themed thing copied, including D&D.

veteran
veteran
I like Nettie, but she, too, would be another druid. So I'd rather would like to see Thulla or Philomeena or another of the Iron Throne gnomes

Doctor Who
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja

it's not like you didn't have the exact same problem with Halsin and his transition to companion which forced a bunch of re-writes and changes to plot and character out of nowhere. But in his case people already had several elf or half-elf companions and romance options to choose from, so he doesn't even bring anything to the table that we don't already have. Barcus or anyone else could have been given the same attention and been re-written asa companion and actually added something to the party and story.
Yes and we all know how Halsin turned out...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by papercut_ninja

Yes and we all know how Halsin turned out...
biggrin - yep, very much a waste of a companion slot. I would say though, that Barcus at least woudl have the advantage of having actually stuff to do in act 3.

Last edited by fylimar; 15/11/23 08:23 PM.

Doctor Who
P
P
Yes, and he just makes my camp look ugly. I require a certain level of style and glamour and Hoedown Chic isn't my jam! astarionhappy

veteran
veteran
I'll admit to having a type preference myself - I have two main pulls if we could get a small-sized companion:
A) I'd appreciate someone witty, intellectual and a bit scathing towards others with a dry and enjoyable sense of humour to those able to repartee and/or snark at their level.
B) Someone who is good-hearted and good-natured, who knows that they aren't much of anything, in the big picture, and aren't important in the world-saving scope of things, but isn't discouraged or put off by that, and is the sort to want to do what they can, because it's what they can do and because it needs to be done. Probably still learning not to set themselves on fire to keep others warm.

I think I'd generally prefer male characters in the first category and female ones in the second, but either works ^.^

Just as an extra aside - I know the conversation has moved on so I'll spoiler it:

Regarding Astarion:

I think the main thrust of what folks discussing that were getting at is that labelling Astarion as a spawn was a poor move, not that his actual character and personality should be changed or different to match with the realms definitions of spawn. More that, after making and developing Astarion's character, they had a decent handful of possible options to pick from for "what" exactly to classify him as being and that going for 'vampire spawn' was, for the realms, probably one of the least appropriate choices, given the details and features of the character presented, and other realms-appropriate classifications might have been more solid and lore-appropriate choices without needing to change his character or design.

addict
addict
I like Nettie, but she, too, would be another druid. So I'd rather would like to see Thulla or Philomeena or another of the Iron Throne gnomes

I'll take Nettie over Halsin any day. But yes, one of the gnomes would make more sense to have in Act 3.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by t1mekill3r

I'll take Nettie over Halsin any day. But yes, one of the gnomes would make more sense to have in Act 3.
Me too, tbh. Halsin is not really an interesting character to be a companion.

Doctor Who
C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Brir
Could there be legal reasons for this?
Given that halflings don't look that much different than human children, I could see the risk of the game getting fully banned in some countries.
My halfling was every bit a grown woman. No mistaking her for a child if you tried. She had T&A for days.
If the shorty options were problematic legally, custom shorty Tavs wouldn't be allowed to have nekkid sexy-time scenes for the same reason.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard