Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hi guys

I always ask myself when I'm in character creation, which class do I use for a dragonblooded...
I've posted a photo here with two of the dragon characters I've created, one male and one female dragon-blooded.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Now I always ask myself how these dragon offspring fit into the game with my group and so on.
Somehow they seem like a foreign body. I can't really get excited about a suitable class, nor do I have a good bond with them in the game.

I'm always wavering between possibly a monk on an elemental basis, or a druid as a shapeshifter. Possibly as a fighter. Or as a warlock in melee combat on fire/frost/lightning/acid? Because they also have a breath, which also has to be somehow suitably integrated from an RPG point of view.

Here you can see the man as a wildheart barbarian (eagle heart) and the woman as a druid with a bit of frost magic and a circle of the moon.
Even in the game world itself, I feel like a total exotic who is not really integrated.

I somehow have a class problem with the race and a problem feeling really integrated in the world.
Perhaps it would have been more helpful to create a kind of exclusive class for the dragonspawn. Some kind of dragon warrior with some flying ability, spitting breath and depending on the subspecies then some magic, but more in the direct way of including it in the melee strikes on the weapon?

It would also have to be incorporated more extensively into the story and the behavior of the NPCs in the game world.

What do you think of this race and do you also have a problem with the fact that it doesn't really fit in anywhere and so it usually lies fallow for me.
They look nice, as you can see, and are also well suited to dark/evil characters. But they don't really feel integrated for me.

P
addict
addict
P
If larian was using the Fizban's version of dragonborn, they would be well-suited for melee combat, due to the breath weapon being able to be used in place of an attack, allowing for extra attack. Dragonborn usually lend themselves well towards hybrid classes that have a mixture of spellcasting and melee, but I have also seen them used well as pure spellcasters.

I've never had an issue with dragonborn not feeling integrated, but perhaps the reason you might be feeling this way is due to the lack of them in larian's world. While it's true that dragonborn are not very populous (tymanther is a relatively small nation), they seem to be practically non-existent in this game, similar to half-orcs. The only dragonborn npc that I can actually recall seeing as a living person and not an aesthetically placed corpse is Quill Grootslang. There's probably more, but if there are, i genuinely can't recall them.

As for npc reactions, it's unlikely we were ever going to get much in this regard, npcs are far more likely to react to the presence of drow, and we've already had many players complain about the lack of acknowledgement there too.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Dragonborn by lore are mostly found in Tymanther or far eastern Faerun, their largest population is on Laerakond. They are actually very rare in the Sword Coast region, you are lucky is see more than one or two in a life time with maybe the exception of Waterdeep.

They tend to, socially, be very honorable people. "Dragonborn had a well-known dedication to honor, but how deeply rooted this trait was remains debatable. However, all dragonborn tended to view all living things, even hated enemies, as deserving of courtesy and respect. To dragonborn, honor was more than a word and was often considered more important than life itself. Cowardice was not simply undesirable among dragonborn, it was considered outright repulsive."

As for classes:

The race's natural abilities were well suited for the path of a warlock, though few dragonborn were willing to actually take up the career since it forced them to deal with powers beyond their control.

Dragonborn arcane spellcasters were, however, far more often wizards or sorcerers, attracted by the often secretive and eccentric ways that both paths involved.

Dragonborn who did embrace religion, however, were well-suited to the path of a paladin. Making the creed and commandments of a god a code by which they could live was in many ways attractive to dragonborn, so long as they were able to get past their natural aversion to beholden to a superior authority they had no control of. If they did join the faithful, dragonborn could become quite devoted in their chosen church, craving the direction and purpose it gave them. Likewise, paladins, unlike clerics, represented an almost martial career path and one that blended well with the militaristic culture of the race.

Found an article about best Dragonborn classes in 5 and they suggest: Sorcerer, Bard, Barbarian, Fighter and Paladin (this is number 5 to number 1)

L
addict
addict
L
If they seem foreign to the setting, it's because they are. Dargonborn as we know them were a fairly recent addition to the setting (4th edition) IIRC WOTC added them just because it seemed to them like something that would be popular (riding the popularity of Dragonlance's Draconians, no doubt) So they were added through the whole Spellplague thing in 4th edition that was basically a reboot of the setting. They never really had a huge amount of lore behind them or integration into the setting, and being perhaps the biggest standout of 4e that wasn't retconned with the second sundering makes them stick out like a bit of a sore thumb in the setting IMHO.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard