Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
veteran
veteran
Also, since there should probably be a cool interview about Gale in this thread, as a counterpoint to the other one on page 1.

It was maybe my favorite in that whole series, because somehow he really distilled so much of what I like about this game the way he weaved it all together. You know just like casually tossing out Red Dwarf hologram references, or the D&D cartoon from the 80s, the old Bantam books (skip to page...) like "The Cave of Time..."? Yes!!!

Just all those little bits that I really enjoyed, and the behind the scenes. I mean that's how an interview is done right there!

The guy was absolutely perfect for this role! Totally nailed it! I gotta be real right now now, meeting Elminster in BG1 was kinda whatever. I know a Gandalf Odin riff when I see one. He was all "Ho there wanderer" and I was like "how do you live up to your own standards" pretty much every single time. But Gale straight out the Gate was consistently most excellent! No wonder he's so great at Chess puzzles! For a plague wizard to just suddenly appear out of nowhere and totally deliver like that, breaking all the seals! I mean that was just such a joy to behold. Add a flying cat into the mix and it's like come on, no contest. I mean right? We don't get wizards like this but once in a blue moon! So I've got a feeling that in the fullness of time more people will come to appreciate what he has to offer on this one.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 18/01/24 04:35 AM.
R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I mean, the interview was interesting. I like how voice actor Tim Downy can make his voice shift depending on Gale's mood. I belive from the first play through i was like "He's funny, i like him." Galke feels like a walking D&d Romcom for me. laugh

But i don't care about advertising and comics as long as Larian neglects Gale that badly in the game. Like i said:

- I want them to get he bugs out of the end game dialogues, that still seem to be linked wrong. At least for me it was months ago, i walked the forgiveness path for him with Mystrra. He stilll became aa god, which i did not want. I wanted an ending as good as possible for everyone.
- He still used to complain about a pact with Raphael in act 3, even if you didn't even talk to Raphael yet. I don't know if that is fixed by now, because the ongoing Hotfixes keep breaking my game. So i have to start again and i don't even reach act 3 lately.
- Half of the companions got a new kiss animation, while Gale (like Shadowheart and Lae'zel) are stuck with the old one. They should do that for every companion. We want a kiss scene that we can also see before the epilogue.

Sorry for ranting, but what Larian is doing lately, doesn't get me in the mood for simping!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Rebel Moon
He still used to complain about a pact with Raphael in act 3, even if you didn't even talk to Raphael yet. I don't know if that is fixed by now, because the ongoing Hotfixes keep breaking my game. So i have to start again and i don't even reach act 3 lately.

They fixed this bug.

Originally Posted by Rebel Moon
Half of the companions got a new kiss animation, while Gale (like Shadowheart and Lae'zel) are stuck with the old one. They should do that for every companion. We want a kiss scene that we can also see before the epilogue.

They are working on it, so it's just a matter of time. At least he has a kiss in the epilogue, unlike Astarion.

A
old hand
old hand
A
He even has a very cute kiss in the epilogue! The matter that he can do something else with the crown than was agreed upon, was also addressed in a recent patch, though I am unsure how this affects older save games.

And thank you for linking the interview. I watched it a while back, when it was relatively new and it made a couple of things make sense. He mentions somewhere that he wasn't coming from much of a D&D background and so his take on Gale doesn't end up being the stereotypical wizard ... but a more human approach to a wizard. Gale has some of my favourite writing and voice acting in the game (I feel I would get hunted down with pitch and fire if I used the superlative - so it is purely a safety precaution that I don't) There is an effortless confidence in it, not only when he is blatantly confident of himself but also in the more casual way when he is making a bad joke and you hear that he knows he's a bit corny but makes it anyway. And of course the less funny parts, which he gives such sincere gravitas. Most of this flourished text could easily gotten way over the top if the performance hadn't been so grounded. Sure, there is less room for spectacular rage, he doesn't even have a proper ending scene for his quest (only that thing which Mystra which is great in his origin but works less well in the companion version) but what there is, is spectacular.

addict
addict
His voice acting is really nice, "effortless confidence" is exactly what can be heard from him. smile The one line that could be improved is the one where Durge slices off his hand - he sounds way too calm in there for someone who should be in a lot of pain.

Recently, I found out that out of all possible endings he not only has the saddest one in the game (which I linked earlier) but also the most tragic origin outcome. The game really doesn't pull punches when it comes to Gale. frown

addict
addict
On topic of justice for Gale:

Yet another thing I've come across today that is so bad, it's actually funny.

Please give Gale a proper reaction, Larian! He should totally dump Tav for doing that.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Oh no! Not Tara. I never notice these things because I am rarely ever even properly mean to characters I like, but how can you? He should totally dump Tav for this - and for making him go through the brothel thing, but most definitely for killing Tara.

If you are nice to cat-mom there is also a dialogue branch related to his family name which is currently not connected in game.

A
old hand
old hand
A
So, how is everyone feeling about new kisses, the updated brothel dialogue and Mystra's appreciation for loyalty in Act 3?

old hand
old hand
Gonna start a new playthrough and find out! Er, except the brothel dialogue, still gonna avoid all that like the plague...

A
old hand
old hand
A
So, here are the changes for the brothel dialogue:

Old:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

New:

The top three answers will end the dialogue while the one at the bottom proceeds the scene and you get another chance to opt out of it. With the removed persuasion check the whole thing feels a lot less uncomfortable, and Gale's old replies fit the new player dialogue better than the old one in my opinion.

Mystra's blessing, which you can now receive for promising to bring her the Crown, is a change I didn't expect at all, but one I am very happy about. Gale's intentions for the Crown previously felt disconnected from the plot of the game because they only had relevance after the game was over. Receiving a boon for making the "right" choice feels nice and meaningful, similar to the checkpoint (or points if you play Gale's origin) in the shadow-cursed lands, and makes the endgame properly feel like a divine quest. For me, the blessing also indicates that he and Mystra can patch up their friendship again which is nice too.

Gale smooches are the best smooches! I wonder how many Gale romancers will now require an extra hour or two to finish the game because they have to appreciate the phenomenal "last kisses" at the Morphic Pool. Someone went all in with passionate desperation there and I love it. (I am also very happy that Gale's cute little peck remains in the game.)

Finally, because I was not too happy with the Valentine's Day promo of Ascended Astarion's kiss, allow me to indulge for a moment and share a happier version of a wizard on his knees:

astarionhappy galehearteyes

old hand
old hand
He actually gets down on one knee now?! Awwwww. This is so great! And his original kiss is still in the game? I actually liked that one, though I'm sure many found it lacking; normally loquacious Gale didn't say a word, you ask for a kiss, he goes over and gives you a kiss, no time to waste. grin

A
old hand
old hand
A
Yes to both! If you play as Astarion he'll
even join you in the Underdark now and you keep the other spawn safe together.

Last edited by Anska; 19/02/24 09:01 AM.
Anska #936033 17/02/24 04:25 PM
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Originally Posted by Anska
So, here are the changes for the brothel dialogue:

Old:

New:

The top three answers will end the dialogue while the one at the bottom proceeds the scene and you get another chance to opt out of it. With the removed persuasion check the whole thing feels a lot less uncomfortable, and Gale's old replies fit the new player dialogue better than the old one in my opinion.
Guess I misunderstood how they changed this exactly that's pretty good.
It must be nice to be a fan of a character who has a writer that actually listens to feedback. 1/10 the uproar that Shadowheart has gotten for her brothel interactions and other things and yet they actually listened to the fans and changed this for Gale yet refuse to change anything for Shadowheart. It's almost depressing.

Last edited by portionbeans; 17/02/24 04:26 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by portionbeans
Guess I misunderstood how they changed this exactly that's pretty good.
It must be nice to be a fan of a character who has a writer that actually listens to feedback. 1/10 the uproar that Shadowheart has gotten for her brothel interactions and other things and yet they actually listened to the fans and changed this for Gale yet refuse to change anything for Shadowheart. It's almost depressing.
Do not give up, no point to.

A
old hand
old hand
A
I am very glad about the changes, all of them. Most of all that - as much as the PR team seems to be intent on putting Gale in uncomfortable positions - in game the writing puts a lot of effort in making the interactions between him and the PC loving and supportive, like you are each other's biggest fans and most trusted companions even when you disagree on a topic.

I do hope they change things for Shart too - or for the Ascended Astarion crowd, who currently feel somewhat dejected.

Anska #936040 17/02/24 05:21 PM
N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by Anska
I do hope they change things for Shart too - or for the Ascended Astarion crowd, who currently feel somewhat dejected.

Really happy for Gale romancers. The fact that they adressed Gale interaction in Sharess caress(als that they are changing spawn Astarion reaction to Mizora cheat) ignites me with hope that we might see some changes for SH interactions regarding Mizora cheat and drows, on selunite path of course. I just see selunite SH behaving similiarly to spawnstarion in regards of Mizora cheat and at least be more caring regarding Halsin/drows.

addict
addict
I think Gale's new kisses are beautiful, I especially love the teasing one where he kisses Tav on the cheek and they pull him in in revenge. The epilogue kneeling is also very sweet and tender. galehearteyes

I'm happy they fixed his atrocious drow twins dialogues. It's nice they actually listened to the complaints. smile

veteran
veteran
I'm playing on honor mode so it will a looooong time before I see the new Mystra loyalty reward but that seems like a move towards "Justice for Mystra" otherwise the only time before the brain that Gale is rewarded for conquering his Hubris in Lorokan's tower where he sees just how far his doppleganger self could have fallen.

A
old hand
old hand
A
Gale gets rewarded by Mystra before that. When you allow him to cleanse the pixie lantern circle in Balthazar's study, she bestows a blessing on him. In his Origin you can also cleanse the corruption of one of the Thorms away and are equally rewarded. In the Shadowcursed Land it's played as a Mystra vs Shar thing, Gale can show loyalty to his goddess and be rewarded for it while Shadowheart can pray in Shar's sanctuary and be likewise blessed.

Edit: The difference seems to be, that you actually get to keep the new one while "you are on the mission" while the others are fleeting things. I wonder if this means that you now have to start your day by praying at the Tabernacle to buff Gale. =D Which would be cute.

Last edited by Anska; 17/02/24 11:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
I had forgotten about the pixie circle, you're right smile And Gale has a nice bit about how she was taking a risk by coming to a land controlled by Shar.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard